AFP-Thailand says more than 9,000 i

Subject: AFP-Thailand says more than 9,000 illegal Myanmar workers deported

Friday, November 12 8:21 PM SGT

Thailand says more than 9,000 illegal Myanmar workers deported
BANGKOK, Nov 12 (AFP) -
Thailand has deported more than 9,000 Myanmar workers since it began its
crackdown on illegal labour this month amid sharply deteriorating relations
with Yangon, police said Friday.

"We have so far deported more than 9,000 illegal Myanmar workers via the
western Mae Sot-Myawadi crossing," said Police Lieutennant Soraphon
Phayungweeranoi.

The deputy commander of the Mae Sot immigration police in western Tak
province said the Myanmar military was cooperating in the repatriations.

But reports here have said many of the illegal workers were simply returning
to Thailand via other routes immediately after repatriation, and that
Myanmar border authorities had tried to turn some back, even threatening to
open fire.

Thailand's crackdown is being complicated by the fact that Myanmar closed
the border in early October after five gunmen seized Yangon's embassy here,
holding 38 people hostage.

Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan rejected press reports Friday that the
Myanmar junta had set deadline for its nationals to return home, threatening
to revoke their citizenship.

"We have checked with both the Myanmar embassy here and our ambassador to
Yangon, Myanmar authorities reaffirmed that no such announcement was made,"
he told reporters.

Surin said the reports were probably planted by people who wanted to sow
confusion along the border.

The junta was livid that Thailand provided the student gunmen with a
helicopter to escape to the border in a deal which ended the 24-hour siege.

Thailand's bid to send home an estimated one million illegal workers mainly
from neighbouring Myanmar, as well as Cambodia and Laos, has also drawn
criticism from human rights groups and Thai businessmen.

Amnesty International said Thursday the crackdown has jeopardised the safety
of thousands of people who fled persecution in Myanmar, adding that many
were now stranded without food and water.

"Many with well founded fears of persecution in Myanmar are at risk of being
returned with no opportunity to claim asylum," Amnesty said in a statement
received here.

"Amnesty International is further concerned at reports that those deported
are being refused entry or being arrested for illegal entry by the Myanmar
authorities," it said.

Surin reassured Amnesty International that all repatriated illegal workers
were protected by Thai basic law.

"We would like to reaffirm that everything we've done was under the Thai
law, and on humanitarian grounds," he said.

He said the problem is chronic as these people are illegal immigrants,
illegal workers and sometimes engaged in crime.

"Some groups were engaging in illegal activities which affect our
implementation of law and order," he said.

Thai businessmen have also complained they have been deprived of a valuable
source of manual labour in industries Thais are reluctant to work in.

The Thai government has officially allowed only 86,000 legitimate foreign
workers to extend their one year permits to work in some 18 industries in 37
border provinces.