Information dissemination: the Worl

Subject: Information dissemination: the World Water Vision

Dear Burmanet readers,

Please excuse me for the cross posting. I was asked to disseminate
the following announcement.

With metta and respect,
NiNi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 15:45:22 +0100
Subject: The World Water Vision

Dear Colleagues;

Water is one of the most precious substances on Earth, however, it is often
not treated that way. We know that the future will not look like the past
with changes in growing populations, urbanization, income growth, and the
associated demand for more food and water to grow it will put more pressure
on our limited water supplies. The need for action is critical. I work for
the World Water Council on a project titled "A Long Term Vision for Water,
Life and the Environment" or World Water Vision. The project is sponsored by
the World Water Council, the World Bank and all the principal UN agencies
involved with water including FAO, UNDP, UNEP, UNESCO, UNU, WMO, WHO, UNICEF
and is guided by the World Commission on Water for the 21st Century,
composed of many outstanding thinkers and opinion leaders and is chaired by
Ismail Serageldin, Vice President of the World Bank. It was set up to
influence decision-makers to put water on the agenda as a key political
issue at global as well as regional levels through a significant increase in
public awareness of water issues. The World Water Vision seeks to involve
all stakeholders through extensive consultations.   Therefore, participation
is the force driving the Vision exercise.  The consultations are intended to
give the largest possible number of individuals at the "grass-roots" level a
chance to decide on the kind of future that they want for themselves and for
future generations.

The overall project objectives are to develop a widely shared vision on the
actions required to achieve a common set of water-related goals and to
commit stakeholders to carry out these actions by 1) increasing awareness of
water issues among the general population and decision-makers so as to
foster the political will necessary to tackle water issues seriously ; 2)
develop a water management vision for 2025 that is shared by water
professionals, policy makers and civil society ; and 3) provide suggestions
for investment priorities, with concrete steps to turn a vision into action.
The World Water Vision will be presented in March 2000 at the 2nd World
Water Forum and Ministerial Conference in The Hague, Netherlands.

A Vision is the future, as we want it to be, with the strategies of how to
get there. It is a dream that we think is achievable and generally
desirable. We believe that awareness starts at the grass-roots and most
solutions will only be successful if all stakeholders have contributed to
them. Therefore, your contribution to the establishment of the Vision for
water will help to make it a Vision that reflects the views of all
stakeholders.

I would like to request if you have a website that you provide a link to our
website and send me an email so that we add yours, and if you also have a
newsletter, we would appreciate if you run an article about this project.
This will help us reach and involve as many people as possible. Our website
can be accessed at: http://watervision.org . The World Water Vision is
giving you an opportunity to decide on the future that you want. Let us join
together to think boldly about solutions that will allow us to make a
radical break from the failures of the past, to create a new Vision for
Water, Life and the Environment in the 21st century and to act on that
Vision for the sake of our children and Mother Earth herself. The stakes
could not be higher.

You can contact me if you would like more information on how you and your
organization might work with us towards our shared objectives.

Sincerely,
Ms Bongiwe Cele
Network Officer
World Water Vision
c/o UNESCO
1 rue Miollis
Paris, 75015
+33 (0) 1 45 68 40 47 (tel)
+33 (0) 1 45 68 58 11 (fax)
b.cele@xxxxxxxxxx
http://watervision.org

A trend is a trend is a trend
but the question is will it bend?
Will it alter its course
through some unseen force
And come to a premature end?......Unkwown