Letter to UN Secretary General from

Subject: Letter to UN Secretary General from Overseas Mon Groups

November 19, 1999

Secretary-General
United Nations Organization

Reference:
Mon National Democratic Front (MNDF)
Monland, Burma

Subject:
Submitting an objection for unlawfully arresting Mon leader Nai Tun Thein,
82, chairman of MNDF

Dear Sir,

We submit an objection for unlawfully arresting Mon leader Nai Tun Thein who
is chairman of MNDF and other political leaders by the State Peace and
Development Council (SPDC, government of Myanmar).

After the pro-democracy uprising of Burma in 1988, according to the General
Multi-party Election Commission's laws, activists formed their political
parties including MNDF, which is led by Nai Tun Thein.  MNDF and other
ethnic parties had participated in the first general multi-party election on
May 27, 1990 peacefully together with National League for Democracy (NLD)
which is led by Aung Sun Suu Kyi.  On the general election Nai Tun Thein won
his seat legitimately in Thanpyuzayat Township, Mon State, Burma.

Unfortunately, on November3, 1999, the military government of Myanmar
arrested leaders of two allied ethnic parties, Kyin Shin Htan, chairman of
Zomi National Congress and Nai Tun Thein, Mon political leader, who took
part in talks with Assistant UN Secretary-General Alvaro De Soto last month
aimed at breaking the country's political deadlock.  They were arrested for
the second time in two years.  No reason was given for their detention and
they should be immediately released without conditions.  It is very
narrow-minded to unlawfully arrest the leaders of the nationalities.  The
political, economic, and social problems being faced in the country will not
be resolved by arrests.  We feel that this unlawful arrest was not only a
great breach of human rights but also destructive to society.

Therefore, we strongly object to this wicked deed and we demand the Burmese
military government release them. We request the UN pressure the Burmese
military government (SPDC) to release Nai Tun Thein and other political
activists immediately.  We thank for your earliest cooperation.

With Respectfully,

Mon National Students Organization (MNSO)
Oversea Mon National Students Organization of North America (OMNSO)
Mon Community of Canada (MCC), Vancouver, Canada
Mon Culture Society (MCS), Calgary, Canada
Mon Canadian Association

_