The BurmaNet News: November 25, 199

Subject: The BurmaNet News: November 25, 1999

---------------------- BurmaNet ------------------------
 Catch the latest news about Burma at www.burmanet.org

The BurmaNet News: November 25, 1999
Issue #1409

HEADLINES:
==========
RADIO MYANMAR: LEADER DEFENDS DEMOCRACY, RIGHTS
NLOM: SECRETARY-1 MEETS US CONGRESSMAN AND PARTY
ABFSU: STATEMENT ON CLOSURE OF UNIVERSITIES
XINHUA: CHINESE SHIPPING COMPANY DEVELOPING MARKET
XINHUA: SINO-BURMESE HYBRID-RICE FIELDS SUCCESSFUL
BKK POST: THAI FORCED TO CUT FLIGHT SEATS
KYODO: HASHIMOTO TO LEAD JAPANESE DELEGATION
CRPP: NOTIFICATION ON MIGRANT WORKERS SITUATION
FORUM-ASIA, ET. AL.: RESPONSE TO IMMIGRATION BUREAU

RADIO MYANMAR: LEADER DEFENDS COUNTRY'S DEMOCRACY, RIGHTS SITUATION, PRISONS

[Original in Burmese.  Summary introduction, translation and text provided
by BBC Summary of World Broadcasts]

Burmese leader Khin Nyunt has delivered a comprehensive speech in defence
of the country's political system and human rights. Addressing a ceremony
at the Foreign Ministry, Khin Nyunt said Western countries suffered from
bias with regard to Burma because they were trying to shape the world
according to their own perceptions. He said all nations have their own
characteristics and their sovereignty must be respected above all. He said
that the " Defence Services government" was only a transitional
administration that was laying the foundation for a multi-party democratic
system. In conclusion, Khin Nyunt said that Burma was doing all it could to
protect human rights and that free inspections of Burmese prisons had shown
that allegations about torture were not true.

Excerpts from report by Burmese radio on 18th November

The closing ceremony of Foreign Ministry's Diplomacy Course No 1 was held
at 1630 [local time] today at the ministry's Wunzin Minyaza Hall. Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt, chairman of the Myanmar Foreign Affairs Policy Committee and
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council [SPDC], attended the
ceremony and delivered a speech.

He said: Today is a historic day for the Foreign Ministry as it marks the
closing ceremony of its first-ever diplomacy course in its 52-year history...

I also wish to take this opportunity to make some comments on our rapidly
changing world and the tasks faced by Myanmar in international relations.
As we enter the 21st century, the world is encountering a number of new
challenges. This is particularly true in international affairs.
Traditionally, the basis for international relations was state-to-state
relations based on equality between independent and sovereign nations.
Regrettably, as the current century draws to a close, it can be seen that
some powerful Western nations are attacking this very foundation of
international relations in their efforts to shape the world according to
their mould.

It need hardly be said that such a situation is a source of great concern
for third world countries. Without any regard to the historical background,
cultural heritage, traditions or objective conditions of other nations,
these Western nations are endeavouring to impose their own concepts and
values on the rest of the world in their attempts to exert influence over
others. They are also attempting to change the very meaning of the concepts
of independence and sovereignty for their own ends...

It should be recalled that almost all developing nations won their
independence only after great sacrifices in blood, sweat and tears. It is
only natural that these countries place great importance on their
independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity. Therefore, the
emergence of new and dangerous concepts and thinking which try to denigrate
the concepts of national independence and sovereignty can greatly
jeopardize the state system. Under the circumstances, it is our belief that
the unity and solidarity of developing nations is of supreme importance.

I do not say this with anti-West sentiments, nor should it be interpreted
that all Western systems or values are bad. However, due regard should be
given to the fact that each nation has its own characteristics and must
therefore pursue political and economic systems best suited to its own
conditions.

Another feature of today's international relations is the use of the facade
of democracy and human rights to interfere in the matters that are
essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of other states. Most nations
of the world, including Myanmar, desire a democratic system. However, given
the differences in the conditions and circumstances, the democratic systems
practised in the developing countries might not necessarily be the same as
those of the Western nations. It is only natural that there can be
differences in the systems followed by various nations.

As for Myanmar, although the Defence Services had to assume responsibility
in 1988 to prevent the nation from disintegration due to conditions of
chaos and anarchy, the Defence Services government considers itself to be a
transitional administration that is laying the foundation for the emergence
of a multi-party democratic system. Therefore, in trying to establish a
democratic state, the government on one hand is educating the people in
democratic ways while building the necessary requisites for a democratic
society by establishing conditions of peace, stability, national
solidarity, higher standards of living and a sound economic foundation. The
democratic nation that we are trying to build is a peaceful, modern and
developed one in which all our national races reside in unity through weal
and woe, and where the union spirit prevails. Although our Defence Services
have to assume state responsibilities due to unavoidable circumstances, the
Defence Services have no desire whatsoever to hold on to power for long.
Once the constitution has emerged, power will be transferred to the
constitutional government which will lead the nation in the future.

As such, it is all the more regrettable that the Western powers, which are
always saying that they wish to see the emergence of a democracy in
Myanmar, continue to criticize Myanmar and apply various kinds of pressure
and sanctions against her. If these countries just pause and take stock,
they will realize that the goals and the strategies of Myanmar and the
Western countries are one and the same. It is only due to the specific
conditions of Myanmar that our methods and tactics are not identical. Due
to the challenges the country faces, it is only natural that a certain
amount of time will be needed for democracy to bloom in Myanmar. If we were
to establish democracy in a hasty manner, as the Western nations desire,
Myanmar would surely have to face undesirable consequences, possibly even
leading to the disintegration of the nation.

All sorts of negative influences will no doubt arise, greatly affecting the
newly established positive trends in political, economic and social
spheres. The peace prevailing in the country after more than four decades
of bitter experience of civil strife can definitely be endangered by such
hasty and ill-considered actions. Consequently, we have to proceed step by
step and systematically in trying to build a democratic system that would
be in accord with the wishes and desires of our national brethren and that
would be appropriate to the objective conditions in the country.

Therefore, it is necessary for the nations which hold negative attitudes to
view objectively and without prejudice and bias the actual situation and
conditions in the country. They should give priority to the entire
population of over 48 million rather than put emphasis on one individual or
organization. They should also be aware of the fact that to stress the
concept of democracy alone, even before the necessary foundation is
consolidated, could result in instability and unrest.

In parallel with democratic concepts, the principles of human rights are
also being pushed into the centre stage of politics. Speaking of human
rights, we believe that due consideration should be given to diversity in
historical, cultural and religious backgrounds. Similarly, in promoting
human rights, nations should try to cooperate with each other through
dialogue, persuasion and sympathetic understanding rather than attempt to
impose their views and values on others unilaterally and arbitrarily. No
nation should prescribe for itself the right to intervene in the internal
affairs of other states by merely viewing through its own standards. To
disregard the principle of sovereignty and to practise policies that are
detrimental to sovereignty under the pretext of human rights will pose a
great menace to the world.

Myanmar has the highest regard for human rights. As such, the constitution
that is being drafted is based on the universal values of liberty, justice
and equality. At present, some nations are exerting various kinds of
pressure and attacking Myanmar, saying that there are human rights abuses
and repression in the country. I categorically state that there are no
human rights abuses in Myanmar. In this regard, I wish to cite a few
concrete examples. According to the existing laws, death sentences are
passed in respect of certain serious criminal offences. Here, I wish to
stress that no death sentence has been carried out since 1988, when the
Defence Services assumed state responsibilities. Moreover, on several
auspicious occasions, general amnesty was declared and many offenders were
either set free entirely or had their sentences commuted. On the so-called
forced labour practices, I would like to give the information that since
May of this year, the Ministry of Home Affairs has issued a notification
suspending the application of certain provisions of the law relating to
voluntary labour contribution, except for national emergencies.

Moreover, in order to become better acquainted with the knowledge and
expertise of other nations in human rights affairs, discussions have been
held with Australia since the middle of this year. We had the pleasure to
welcome Australian Human Rights Commissioner Mr Sidoti to our country and
he was able to have very fruitful and meaningful discussions with various
authorities, including ministers. It is our hope that we will be able to
continue this cooperation with Australia in the future as well.

Another case in point was the false allegations concerning the conditions
in our prisons. During the current year, we permitted the internationally
respected International Committee of the Red Cross [ICRC] freely to inspect
our various prisons and places of detention and to interview the prisoners
in accordance with their established procedures. If the allegations of
torture and human rights abuse are true, would anyone allow such visits?

The government is building a peaceful, prosperous, modern and developed
state, which is the aspiration of all our national races. In this respect,
I wish also to acknowledge the role of the foreign service personnel in
striving towards this national goal. In promoting and protecting our
national interests, our diplomats need to be fully qualified so that they
can stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the world. In order to
fulfil the requirement, steps are being taken under the guidance of the
leaders not only to hold such courses in the future but also to introduce
more advanced training courses.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on some of the events
which recently took place at several Myanmar embassies abroad. As nothing
untoward happened within the country on 9th September, as they had hoped,
the dissident and terrorist groups began to vent their frustrations on a
number of our embassies abroad, together with their foreign accomplices.
There were incidents of violence at our embassies in Canberra and London
but the worst was at our embassy in Bangkok, which was seized by armed
terrorists on 1st and 2nd October. There should not be any doubt that what
happened at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok was an act of pure terrorism.
That was why the incident was condemned by the international community. I
also wish to put on record our appreciation of the personnel of the
embassy, who faced the ordeal with dignity, courage, solidarity and loyalty.

Despite all these incidents, Myanmar continues to adhere faithfully to its
policy of striving to maintain friendly ties with all nations of the world
in accordance with its independent and active foreign policy. Our actions
will always be guided by the norms of international relations and in the
spirit of making larger issues become smaller and smaller issues until
completely resolved. Some people and some organizations which hold negative
views try to take advantage of the delicate situation following the
incidents in the embassies and to cause problems in our relations with the
respective countries. As Myanmar took a principled stand in accordance with
its policies of good neighbourliness and peaceful coexistence, all their
endeavours proved to be futile. In accordance with the Myanmar saying: do
not let a wet hand get dry, Myanmar will continue to pursue friendly
relations and mutually beneficial cooperation with the nations of the
world, and particularly the neighbouring countries.

On the other hand, all these matters demonstrate how complex and delicate
international relations have become today. In these circumstances, foreign
service personnel need to be extra diligent. It becomes incumbent upon them
to keep abreast with the latest trends in the world and continually to
improve their diplomatic skills. Only through hard work will Myanmar be
able to stand proudly with the rest of the world in international
relations. Therefore, I would like to conclude by wishing that all foreign
service personnel will become efficient and skilful, diplomats who serve
the interests of the country and the people and upon whom the entire nation
can rely and depend... .

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: SECRETARY-1 MEETS US CONGRESSMAN AND PARTY

YANGON, 23 Nov -  Secretary-l  of the State  Peace and  Development
Council  Lt-Gen  Khin  Nyunt met visiting US Congressman  Tom Campbell and
wife and party who called at Dagon  Yeiktha of the Ministry of Defence at
4.30 pm today.

Also present at the call were Minister for Foreign Affairs, Deputy Minister
and Director-General of the Protocol Department.

The US Congressman and party were accompanied by Charge d' Affaires of the
United States, Ms Priscilla A Clapp and officials.

ALL BURMA FEDERATION OF STUDENT UNIONS: STATEMENT ON THE LONG-TERM CLOSURE
OF UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES IN BURMA

1. We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, clearly express the fact
that universities and colleges have been open for a total of only 30 months
since the military regime coup d'etat in 1988, until 1996. The students
were forced to graduate in shortened periods, after only 3 months
coursework; then the schools were closed for 4 months.  This cycle has
continued sporadically since 1988. In 1996, the military regime shut down
most universities and colleges. In Aug 1998, the regime opened the
universities to students, then after only 1 month forced them to sit for
their final exams - abruptly concluding one academic year.  Over 400,000
students who have graduated high school since the 1996-97 academic year are
still waiting to join the universities and colleges.

2. At the same time, the regime has set up and been running a military
medical institute, a military technical institute and a military computer
university. Although the diploma course, the international training course
and the international technique course are operating inside Burma, the
ordinary civilian students are not able to attend due to high tuition costs.

3. So, because of this situation, many students do not have access to an
education and it stands as a grave danger to the future of Burma. Because
the students cannot study, most students and youths are forced to work
whatever jobs are available. Some are despondent regarding their lives
within Burma and many have become mentally degenerated.  Moreover, because
of the difficulties of their survival, students have been seeking to study
abroad and in neighboring countries; both through legal and illegal ways.

4. We believe that all the conditions regarding the educational crisis and
the Burmese students is of utmost importance for the ruling military
government, as well as all the nationalities within Burma.  Every Burmese
person has the duty to work together to solve the current educational
impasse.  We must continue the struggle to create an environment where the
universities can function equally and the students can secure their rights.

5. We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, earnestly call upon all the
nationalities within Burma - including teachers, professors, academicians,
education workers, monks and respective persons - in order to pressure the
military government to open all the universities equally. We would also
like to request international student organizations, governments and civic
groups to support and work to open all the universities equally in Burma,
with sympathy for the Burmese students.

XINHUA: CHINESE SHIPPING COMPANY DEVELOPING BURMA MARKET

Xinhua,  Yangon, 16th November: The Myanmar COSCO Limited of China, a
subsidiary company of the China Ocean Shipping Companies (COSCO) Group, has
been actively developing its market in Myanmar and achieved initial success.

The Myanmar COSCO Ltd was founded in October 1996. Not long after its
establishment, due to the impact of the Asian financial crisis, many
foreign companies investing in Myanmar pulled out one after another for
poor business operation.

But the Myanmar COSCO Ltd did not give up and has tried hard to develop its
business in the Myanmar market.

Since its founding, the company's container transport business has grown
from the import of only a dozen containers per month in the initial period
to the present average import and export quantity of about 350 containers
per month.

Meanwhile, the transport business of bulk cargo has grown out of nothing,
making it possible for four to five 10,000-ton vessels to call at the
Yangon Port every month.

The Myanmar COSCO Ltd also undertakes trading business in addition to the
traditional transport business operation of containers and bulk cargo.

Managing Director of the Myanmar COSCO Ltd Sun Liang told Xinhua that
Myanmar and China are friendly neighbours and the friendly bilateral
relationship is extremely conducive to the promotion of economic and trade
ties between the two countries.

Sun said the Myanmar COSCO Ltd is also planning to invest and establish
real estate in Myanmar.

XINHUA: EXPERIMENTAL SINO-BURMESE HYBRID-RICE FIELDS SUCCESSFUL

Kunming, November 19 (XINHUA) -- Hybrid-rice experimental fields grown by
Chinese agronomists in northern Myanma [sic] have harvested after six months.

According to test results, a 0.46-hectare experimental field in Shan in
Myanma reaped 1,600 kilograms of hybrid rice, making the average rice
production reach 3,300 kilograms per hectare, 1,800 kilograms higher than
that of the local average output.

Another 0.66-hectare experimental paddy field harvested 5,219 kilograms of
rice, making the average output of 7,800 kilograms per hectare, 4,320
kilograms higher than that of the local average output.

China and Myanma have started growing rice in what were poppy growing
fields in Shan. Next year, Myanma will expand its rice growing area after
these successful experiments, Chinese agronomists said. China has pledged
to help Myanma turn all poppy growing areas into rice fields by 2005.

THE BANGKOK POST: THAI FORCED TO CUT FLIGHT SEATS
24 November, 1999 by Amornrat Mahitthirook/ Musara Thaitawat

NATIONAL CARRIER TOLD TO TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

Aviation authorities have been forced by Rangoon to cut by 1,000 to 2,500
the number of seats allocated per week to Thai and Burmese national carriers.

Talks between the two countries, which have been going on since early this
year, were concluded under a tense atmosphere at a Nov 18-19 meeting in
Rangoon, called by Burmese authorities.

Effective on Dec 1, the cut in the number of available seats on THAI's
Burma route at such short notice is expected to affect Bangkok's status as
a gateway to the region.

Sawat Sitthiwongse, director-general of the Civil Aviation Department,
said: "The Burmese negotiators would not listen to any of our proposals.
They maintained their position to cut the cut the seats to 2,500.

"They seem to believe that by reducing the number of available seats on
THAI, passengers will fly Myanmar Air instead," he said.

Sources said the Burmese negotiators were following orders from Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt, secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council, to demand
the cut or scrap the aviation agreement altogether.

The agreement stipulates that changes require notification be made one year
in advance. "The Burmese negotiators made clear it was a 'take it or leave
it' demand," a source said.

The Burmese were mistaken in thinking THAI's loss would be Myanmar Air's
gain but nothing would induce them to change their position.

Under an agreement reached four years ago, the Thai and Burmese carriers
were each allocated 3,500 seats per week.

Two years ago, the carriers reached a written "provisional understanding"
to increase the number of seats on THAI by 300 a week but Rangoon now says
such arrangements can only be made by government agencies.

THAI operates 14 flights per week and Myanmar Air two.

A delegation from THAI is to travel to Rangoon as soon as possible to
negotiate a commercial agreement.

A source said THAI may have to use Boeing 737s instead of larger Airbuses
and seek to buy a fixed number of seats on Myanmar Air but use planes from
its own fleet.

Mr Sawat, who led the delegation to the talk in Rangoon, said he intended
to propose code-sharing and pool agreement.

"It's normal for neighbouring countries, such as Burma, to feel
disadvantaged as passengers chose Thai services," he added.

KYODO: HASHIMOTO TO LEAD JAPANESE DELEGATION TO MYANMAR

Kyodo, Hong Kong 24 November 1999. Former Japanese Prime Minister Ryutaro
Hashimoto will lead a delegation of former diplomats, civil servants and
economists to Myanmar on Tuesday, the Hong Kong-based Far Eastern Economic
Review said Wednesday.

The visit will come just after a planned meeting between Prime Minister
Keizo Obuchi and the chairman of Myanmar's junta, Gen. Than Shwe, on the
sidelines of the Association of South East Asian Nations summit in Manila
on Monday.

The Obuchi-Than Shwe dialogue will be the first meeting between a senior
world leader and the Myanmar junta chief since 1988.

But Japanese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saadaki Numata was quoted as saying
Hashimoto is not going to Myanmar as Obuchi's senior foreign policy adviser.

According to the magazine, which carries the report in its issue due
Thursday, Hashimoto's visit is being organized under the auspices of the
Nippon Foundation.

Still, the Japanese initiatives are interpreted by at least one Japanese
scholar as underlining Japanese concern over China's growing influence in
Myanmar, the magazine said.

And another source was quoted as saying Tokyo is considering resuming
direct investment and aid to Myanmar.

A spokesman at the Japanese foreign ministry said the planned meeting
between Obuchi and the Myanmar general will take a 'slightly difference of
approach' than that taken by the West.

"We share the same concerns about human rights and democracy, but don't
want to shun dialogue" with the government of Myanmar, the spokesman was
reported as saying.

COMMITTEE REPRESENTING PEOPLE'S PARLIAMENT: NOTIFICATION NO. 64 (11/99)

[Unofficial translation by Dr. U Ne Oo, drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

Representatives of the People elected to the People's Parliament in the
1990 multiparty democratic elections (Committee Representing the People's
Parliament)

Notification No. 64(11/99)

1. We receive reports that, since early November (1999), the Thai
authorities are rounding up and forcibly repatriating Burmese workers who
have been working for years in Thailand.

2. Reports also indicate that there have been 600,000 Burmese workers in
Thailand. Authorities in Thailand have reportedly threatened to expel all
of them from the Thai soil.

3. These Burmese workers  have been compelled to work in Thailand because
of underlying situation in Burma such as political instability; economic
desperation; lack of democracy and human rights;  insecurity in life and
that of  the livelihood.

4. There are reports of authorities in Burma  pushing back the workers
repatriated by the Thai authorities. There are also reports of Burmese
soldiers looting  money and other valuables from these repatriated workers.
Some workers have also been shot at by the Burmese soldiers. There are tens
of thousands of workers, including women, who have been stranded in the
jungle and are facing starvation. Some women workers are reported to have
been raped by the Burmese soldiers. These Burmese workers stranded in the
jungle have been under physical and mental hardship, facing starvation as
well as the threats of disease such as malaria ; and feared that these
workers may not survive.

5. Authorities from the two countries must take measures to improve this
tragic situation. The authorities from both countries must seek help from
the United Nations High Commission for Refugees and Non-Governmental
Organisations to set up appropriate camps for these workers.

6. In this case, the prime responsibility rests with the authorities in
Burma. To solve such issue, authorities from both side must have good will
towards these workers. The present tragedy has occurred because both sides
are lacking of  humanitarian spirit towards these workers.

7. Thailand must stop arresting and forcibly repatriating Burmese workers.
Burmese authorities must also put a stop to rejecting and, particularly,
shooting these returning workers. Both countries must show mutual
understanding in solving this problem. Thailand ought to give permission to
work for those Burmese desperate for their livelihood. There had been
precedence by Thailand granting such permission to Burmese workers.

8. Thailand and Burma are not just the neighbours who happen to share a
long border. We also share our culture, religion and history. People of
Thailand and Burma are not only similar in our physical appearance but also
have a share in our social values and spirituality. The CRPP therefore
appeal the Royal Thai Government to treat these Burmese workers leniently
with due humanitarian considerations.

9. The root cause of displacement of these Burmese workers found to be the
mediocrity in governance by the Burmese military government. The problem of
these displaced Burmese workers cannot be considered simply as internal
affairs of Burma. This problem has impact on neighbouring countries and has
become a regional problem.

10. As for Burmese people, it is important that we must remove the root
causes of the problem of these displacements. To achieve such objective,
the human rights and democracy must urgently be restored in Burma. It is
our national duty to achieve democracy in Burma. The Burmese nationals must
therefore put their best effort to accelerate the process of restoring
democracy and human rights in Burma.

FORUM-ASIA, ET. AL.: RESPONSE TO IMMIGRATION BUREAU

Re :  The policy to pressure the male migrant workers by deporting their
families

To  : The chief of the Immigration Bureau and media

According to the news reported by media on 22 November 1999 that the deputy
chief of the Immigration Bureau has denied the allegation that the
immigration plan to pressure the male migrant workers by deporting their
wives and children to Burma;

The non-governmental organizations are pleased and do appreciate  that the
high rank officials from the Immigration Bureau strongly confirm his
concern on human rights.

However, the fact is that the policy was disclosed by the deputy governer
of one Southern province in his interview with Mathichon newspaper, date 13
November 1999.   Therefore it is assumed that the policy, which is a
serious violation of basic human rights, was locally planned and
immplemented in the area.

According to this, the non-governmental organizations urge the Immigration
Bureau to confirm its policy to their local authorities  urgently.  This is
to make sure that the Immigration officers will not take part in any
violations of basic human rights.

Your Sincerely,

Foundation for Children's Development
Foundation for Women
Friends of Women Foundation
Global Alliance Against the Traffic of Women
Migrant Assistance Program
Empower Foundation (Chiang Mai)
Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma
Child's Rights-Asia Net
Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (Forum-Asia)
Friends without Borders

What's hot at Topica?  Sign up for our "Best New Lists"
newsletter and find out!  http://www.topica.com/t/8