REPOSTING : "Give us A Chance" (r)

--------------F2DDAB2DA23DF16A22E92B59

A typical Burmese old man is lying in a typical old Burmese style.Nothing
more.
" A brute-honest-lying".

panyoma/syd

Mg Myanmar wrote:

> SOURCE: Myanmar Information - http://www.myanmar.com/
>
> AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS
> Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2, April, May, June 1998
>
> "Give us A Chance"
>
> The present leaders of Myanmar are men of few words "Deeds and not
> words" is their motto. They are not men who care to woo the
> press/media to suit their  own ends nor would they permit themselves
> to be manipulated by members of the media, who in most cases with an
> eye on circulation or ratings, usually prevaricate, exaggerate or
> denigrate. But, the Myanmar leaders do speak on rare occasions, and
> when they do, they are found to be forthright and genuine      men who
> care deeply about the country and the people. The first exc.usive
> interview Senior General Than Shwe has ever had with the foreign media
> was given full coverage in the Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2,
> April, May, June 1998. In this first conversation of the Chairman of
> the State Peace and  Development Council H.E. Senior General Than Shwe
> with a member of the foreign press, he explained exactly what was
> taking place in the country and also put the record straight on his
> attitude towards the West.
>
> When Senior General Than Shwe was asked why he had decided to speak
> now he said simply and honestly that:
>
> "In our previous experiences with people from the media, whatever we
> said was usually misinterpreted, and sometimes misinterpretation can
> give rise to  misunderstanding. I wanted to clarify these
> misunderstandings. But I personally live a very quiet life, so I don?t
> push myself to talk to the press."
>
> When asked to clatify for the benefit of those in the West who seem
> to be anti-Myanmar, why he thought that it was necessary to have
> security in the nation before democracy and why he subscribed to the
> view that you can?t have people voting if the votes are not honestly
> counted, Senior General Than Shwe said:
>
> "As you are aware, we are vigorously engaged in the national
> reconstruction of the country. We are working for the development and
> peace of our nation. At  the same time, we are trying to place our
> country on the path of democracy, and to build a democratic system.
> So, first we have to establish conditions of peace and tranquility,
> and law and order. At the same time as we are trying to establish
> political stability however, we must also build up the economic
> foundation of our nation. So we?re definitely trying to do both."
>
> He then added:
>
> "Of course we believe it?s not natural for the armed forces to assume
> responsibility for the state for a very long time, but you must
> realize that because of the  particular circumstances and conditions
> in our country, the armed forces have to assume responsibility for a
> certain period of time."
>
> To the question of whether U.S. sanctions which have hurt business
> investment in Myanmar and the adverse effect of the influence it was
> [...]

<HTML>
<FONT SIZE=+1>A typical Burmese old man is lying in a typical old Burmese
style.Nothing more.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>" A brute-honest-lying".</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>panyoma/syd</FONT>

<P>Mg Myanmar wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>SOURCE: Myanmar Information - <A HREF="http://www.myanmar.com/";>http://www.myanmar.com/</A>

<P>AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS
<BR>Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2, April, May, June 1998

<P>"Give us A Chance"

<P>The present leaders of Myanmar are men of few words "Deeds and not
<BR>words" is their motto. They are not men who care to woo the
<BR>press/media to suit their&nbsp; own ends nor would they permit themselves
<BR>to be manipulated by members of the media, who in most cases with an
<BR>eye on circulation or ratings, usually prevaricate, exaggerate or
<BR>denigrate. But, the Myanmar leaders do speak on rare occasions, and
<BR>when they do, they are found to be forthright and genuine&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
men who
<BR>care deeply about the country and the people. The first exc.usive
<BR>interview Senior General Than Shwe has ever had with the foreign media
<BR>was given full coverage in the Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2,
<BR>April, May, June 1998. In this first conversation of the Chairman of
<BR>the State Peace and&nbsp; Development Council H.E. Senior General Than
Shwe
<BR>with a member of the foreign press, he explained exactly what was
<BR>taking place in the country and also put the record straight on his
<BR>attitude towards the West.

<P>When Senior General Than Shwe was asked why he had decided to speak
<BR>now he said simply and honestly that:

<P>"In our previous experiences with people from the media, whatever we
<BR>said was usually misinterpreted, and sometimes misinterpretation can
<BR>give rise to&nbsp; misunderstanding. I wanted to clarify these
<BR>misunderstandings. But I personally live a very quiet life, so I don?t
<BR>push myself to talk to the press."

<P>When asked to clatify for the benefit of those in the West who seem
<BR>to be anti-Myanmar, why he thought that it was necessary to have
<BR>security in the nation before democracy and why he subscribed to the
<BR>view that you can?t have people voting if the votes are not honestly
<BR>counted, Senior General Than Shwe said:

<P>"As you are aware, we are vigorously engaged in the national
<BR>reconstruction of the country. We are working for the development and
<BR>peace of our nation. At&nbsp; the same time, we are trying to place
our
<BR>country on the path of democracy, and to build a democratic system.
<BR>So, first we have to establish conditions of peace and tranquility,
<BR>and law and order. At the same time as we are trying to establish
<BR>political stability however, we must also build up the economic
<BR>foundation of our nation. So we?re definitely trying to do both."

<P>He then added:

<P>"Of course we believe it?s not natural for the armed forces to assume
<BR>responsibility for the state for a very long time, but you must
<BR>realize that because of the&nbsp; particular circumstances and conditions
<BR>in our country, the armed forces have to assume responsibility for
<BR>certain period of time."

<P>To the question of whether U.S. sanctions which have hurt business
<BR>investment in Myanmar and the adverse effect of the influence it was
<BR>using on the&nbsp; European nations, was driving Myanmar more toward
China,
<BR>Senior General Than Shwe replied at some length that:

<P>"It?s true, the United States has instituted sanctions against our
<BR>nation. But because we have developed a vibrant border trade with our
<BR>neighboring countries of India, China, and Thailand, and because of
<BR>the assistance and support from other countries in the region, the
<BR>impact of the sanctions is not so great."

<P>"Whether the result of these sanctions has an effect on our
<BR>relationship with other countries, I want to say that Myanmar has
<BR>always tried to maintain friendly&nbsp; ties with all countries in
the
<BR>world. We have been consistent in this policy throughout our history.
<BR>So, in spite of any sanctions the Unied States has against us,&nbsp;&nbsp;
we
<BR>bear no hostility and no antagonism toward the United States."

<P>When again asked if that wasn?t driving Myanmar closer to China, he
<BR>replied:

<P>"No, I wouldn?t say that U.S. sanctions are pushing us toward China.
<BR>We want to continue to maintain good, cordial relations with all
<BR>countries."

<P>"Our country has a lot of natural resources, and we are able to
<BR>utilize them very well to develop our nation?s economy. In addition,
<BR>the countries in our region cooperate well with us, which also helps
<BR>in our economic development. Of course! if we get assistance from
<BR>countries abroad, it will help us develop our&nbsp; nation even more!
<BR>Having international assistance and support will greatly facilitate
<BR>our economic and political endeavors and will also help us build a
<BR>democratic system more quickly by facilitating the handing of state
<BR>power back to the people."

<P>"My genuine desire is to see our country develop and prosper, and to
<BR>see the emergence of a democratic system. It is toward this end that
<BR>we are putting our&nbsp; best efforts. I believe that if instead of
<BR>imposing economic sanctions on our country the world community would
<BR>help us, we could reach this goal within three&nbsp; years."

<P>With regard to questions raised by the West on the completion of the
<BR>constitution and when free elections would be held, Senior General
<BR>Than Shwe had this&nbsp; to say:

<P>"Let me say that we have no intention of prolonging the process
<BR>unnecessarily. If we receive international assistance and support,
the
<BR>process of establishing a&nbsp; democratic system in our country will
be
<BR>sped up. But if there is a hostile attitude from other countries, the
<BR>process of democratization could be prolonged.
<BR>However, we on our part, have no intention whatsoever to unnecessarily
<BR>prolong this process."

<P>Concerning the unofficial view of the American Government that the
<BR>constitution would be written and elections held only at a time the
<BR>military can win&nbsp; elections, he calmly replied:

<P>"Well, you know, the people will elect whom they like."

<P>Asked whether he would consider a high-level visit to the United
<BR>States and Europe to discuss the World Bank, the sanctions and to
<BR>convince those involved&nbsp; that the sanctions were hurting the people
<BR>and not the Government which would still continue to pursue its
<BR>present course and hold constitutional elections only&nbsp; when the
time
<BR>was right, he answered that there were visa constraints, but on
<BR>suggestion that a visa would be no problem if he should travel to
<BR>address the United Nations, as Head of Government he replied that:

<P>"If there is such an oportunity, of course."

<P>The interviewer dealt with the fact that Myanmar situated between
<BR>India and China, could offer the United States a strategic position.
<BR>And then asked if it&nbsp; would not be in the interest of both countries
<BR>if discussions with the United States could be held along these lines.
<BR>The Senior General fielded this query with the remark that:

<P>"It is something to think about. Because of the geographical and
<BR>geopolitical fate of being located between India and China, two very
<BR>big neighbors, we try to maintain good relations with both those
<BR>countries. It would not help us if either China or India had
<BR>unfavorable views toward us. We believe that if there were&nbsp; a
change
<BR>of mind in the United States, we could develop cordial relations
<BR>there, too."

<P>Touching upon the econom,y Senior General Than Shwe was next asked if
<BR>Myanmar would welcome investments by a big multinational company as
<BR>was now&nbsp; the practice in developing countries, to come into the
<BR>country to build a major project such as a power plant. The reply was:

<P>"One thing we chose to do after assuming the responsibility of running
<BR>the governement was to introduce an economic policy, and we invited
<BR>foreign investment from abroad. Toward this end, we have set up
<BR>necessary rules and procedures. We have our own regulations and laws
<BR>for the kinds of investments you describe."

<P>When he was asked in which areas he would prefer to have such
<BR>investments Senior General Than Shwe said:

<P>"One sector that comes to mind is hydroelectricity, because, as you
<BR>know, we have resources for 3,000 , 5,000, or even 10,000 megawatts.
<BR>Another&nbsp; potential area is offshore drilling, because we have
a lot of
<BR>natural gas resources. There are already companies interested in this
<BR>area."

<P>When asked if there was still room for competition in this area since
<BR>Texaco, Arco and Unocal were already in business, the Senior General
<BR>replying in the&nbsp; affirmative said.

<P>"Yes. These companies are working with us on a joint venture, but we
<BR>believe there is much more potential to be tapped in downstream
<BR>industries, such as&nbsp; gas, fertilizers, and methanol."

<P>On his vision for Myanmar in the coming century and the priorities for
<BR>future nation building Senior General Than Shwe unequivocally stated:

<P>"Our vision is to establish a peaceful, prosperous, modern,
<BR>democratic, and developed state, utilizing the natural resources
<BR>available in our country. We are also a member of the Association of
<BR>Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and are trying to fulfill the vision
<BR>set out for all ASEAN countries in what is called a&nbsp; "Vision 2020"
<BR>statement."

<P>To the question as to which ASEAN country best understood Myanmar the
<BR>reply was:

<P>"Since we have been able to develop very close contacts with the
<BR>leaders of all the ASEAN countries, I would say all of them have a
<BR>good understanding of and very good relations with our country."

<P>As regards the Myanmar leader?sfeelings towards the United States,
<BR>Senior General Than Shwe?s reply reflected his devotion to and
<BR>practice of the tenets of&nbsp; the Buddha?s teachings. He said:

<P>"Let me again reiterate that we have no ill feelings whatsoever toward
<BR>the United States. As you know, I am a soldier, but at the same time,
<BR>I am also a Buddhist. I faithfully try to follow the Buddhist
<BR>teaching, which says one should not entertain antagonistic or hostile
<BR>feelings toward other human beings. So, even though I am a soldier,
<BR>and even though I have to do certain things for the maintenance of
<BR>peace and stability and for the welfare and security of the
<BR>country, I don?t have hostile or antagonistic feelings toward others.
<BR>Although the United States may have some ill feelings toward us, we
<BR>have no ill feelings toward the United States."

<P>Finally, when asked by the interviewer how he could be so quiet and
<BR>calm, the Senior General said:

<P>"Actually, you know, I try to be calm and serene. Even now I am
<BR>thinking that when I retire, I will devote myself to religion. I don't
<BR>have any worldly desires; I&nbsp; just want to live a quiet and peaceful
<BR>life. What I am doing now is because I love my country."

<P>His reply was indeed convincing in its very simplicity and showed the
<BR>depth of his feelings for the country and his people.

<P>Mg Myanmar
<BR>A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar

<BR>FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
<BR>Reserve your name now at <A HREF="http://www.email.com";>http://www.email.com</A></BLOCKQUOTE>