Appeal from the Chief Monk of Kyakh

Subject: Re: Appeal from the Chief Monk of Kyakhatwaing Monastery

Thanks for posting the complete version of this important message.
A news report on it prepared by DVB was circulated about a month ago.

It would appear to have originally been a talk or semon, given at the
monastery perhaps, recorded and transcribed with a few paragraphs at the
end, beginning with the words: 'To the two educated people' added, when it
was circulated in written form.

This is obviously a sincere attempt to put forward a case for mediation by
a respected religious figure .  It is possible to dismiss almost
immediately the speculation put forward by a contributor to SCB that the
message was delivered to Gen Khin Nyunt when he dropped in to Kyakhatwaing
Monastery to contribute 50 sacks of rice.  No right minded person who
sincerely believed in mediation would attempt to iniitiate his task in such
a crude fashion.   The message itself indicates that the gift offered an
opportunity to speak about a matter that deeply concerned the abbott.  It
is nowhere suggested that the general was in earshot or that the message
was delivered in written form to him on a public occasion.

What the abbot did afterwards in adding the postscript to the two 'learned
and upright persons' and in making the appeal public was a bold and
calculated move that must command great respect and admiration.

I haven't seen anything in the way of a public reply by either of the two
'learned and upright persons' to whom the appeal was directed.  Anybody
know anything different???

> Subject: Open letter from the Chief Monk of Kyakhatwaing Monastery to Lt.
Gen KhinN
> Date: December 6, 1999 2:44 AM
>
> A translated version.
>
> Summary of Peace Messenger Advice
> by -
> Agga Maha Pandita Abidaza Agga Maha Thadhamma Zawtika
> Sayadaw U Zawti Pahla of Kyakhatwaing Monastery, Bago.
>

> Since the Kyakhatwaing Monastery, Bago has over 900 student monks and
> lecturers, a donation of (156) rice bags was made under the auspices of
> the Regional Commander the other day, Now, the government leaders under
> the auspices of Secretary (1) has donated (50) bags of rice. We are very
> happy and thankful. I want to say something short.
> To the two educated upright people, who are citizens of the motherland
> of Myanmar