SPECIAL POSTING : Myanmar says stud

Subject: Re: SPECIAL POSTING : Myanmar says student exiles welcome to return

Hello Mg Myanmar:-
I am pleased to see that you are a person who loves your country.
I see that you have posted this article with words from Gen Khin Nyunt
about welcoming back with open arms students who have fled Myanmar.
Could you tell me what steps should be followed by a student who wished to
take advantage of the general's offer?
I am sure you would agree that someone who had fled the country might be a
little nervous about going back after reading what the general had to say
about getting rid of national traitors.
So, perhaps you could give a few words of practical advice about how to
take advantage of the general's offer without running the risk of paying
the penalty that national traitors are about to suffer.
With best wishes,
celsus

----------
<burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>; SCB <soc.culture.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
BURMANET2 <burmanet2-l@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: SPECIAL POSTING : Myanmar says student exiles welcome to return
> Date: December 7, 1999 5:40 AM
>
> Myanmar says student exiles welcome to return
>
> YANGON, Dec 6 (Reuters) - Myanmar's intelligence chief said the military
government is ``worried'' about students who fled the country to escape the
bloody suppression of a pro-democracy uprising in 1988 and would welcome
their return.

> The official Myanma News Agency quoted the powerful Lieutenant-General
Khin Nyunt as saying the students fled because of the ``instigation of
destructive elements.''

> ``The government still welcomes them with open arms,'' he said at the
conclusion of a refresher course for teachers in Yangon on Sunday. ``The
government is worried that they will continue to fall prey to the
temptations of destructive elements.''

> Several thousand university age students fled to neighbouring Thailand
after the military government killed thousands of people to crush a
student-led pro-democracy uprising in 1988.

> Khin Nyunt said it ``is now necessary to get rid of the national
traitors, who, by relying on external elements, are trying to make the
future of the state fade away by spiritually spoiling the youths.''

> The military government uses the terms ``national traitors'' and
``destructive elements'' to refer to opponents, including the National
League for Democracy (NLD), the main opposition party, and armed ethnic
minority groups battling for greater autonomy.

> Since 1988, Myanmar student dissidents have been a persistent thorn in
the side of the military, joining forces with ethnic rebel groups fighting
the Yangon government and waging a propaganda war from Thailand against
authoritarian rule.

> While Thailand has tolerated their presence for the past 11 years, it
called for the speeding up of their resettlement in third countries after a
group of armed dissidents took over the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok in early
October.

> Thai-Myanmar ties were badly strained when Thai authorities allowed the
five attackers to go free to a safe border area when they released 89
hostages held for 25 hours unharmed.

> More than 2,000 dissidents who fled Myanmar to Thailand after the 1988
crackdown have already been resettled in the United States, Canada,
Australia, England and Sweden. About another 2,000 still live in Thailand
or in border areas.

> Myanmar has kept universities and colleges closed for much of the past 11
years to prevent a resurgence of student activism.

> Last week the government said 75 percent of classes had already restarted
and arrangements were underway to reopen those remaining when the new
academic year restarted in April.