To: "'Htun Aung Gyaw'" <hag2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Maung Thara's writings
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:01:05 -0600

Dear Htun Aung Gyaw,

(I'm not sure how to address you properly since I am not familiar with
Burmese names. I've read or heard somewhere that sometimes what looks like
a name is actually a "title" similar to the English:  Mr. , Mrs., Miss,
etc. For instance, I've read about Aung San Suu Kyi, but I think part of
that name is a title. Can you explain that to me--the different titles in
Burma?)

Thank you for your prompt reply. Take your time, and don't go to too much
trouble looking for them in English. (And I might as well mention, that if
they are expensive in English, I will not be able to buy them. I hope I can
get them through the library.) The main reason I want to read Thara's books
is I just heard that his works are about ordinary people in Burma. I have
been interested in learning more about the peoples of Burma. Even better
than reading books is actually talking with someone who knows all about
Burma. I know you are probably too busy to answer all my questions--you
don't know me, but when I find out some answers, that just leads me to ask
more questions. Do you know of someone who has lived in Burma for many
years and who would enjoy corresponding with me (e-mail preferably) about
their life there? I would like to know about their culture, their work,
their play, their births and deaths and celebrations--weddings, holidays,
and so on. Of course this correspondence would have to be in English. If
you don't know of such a person, could you pass this on to someone else who
might know someone who would write to me?

Thank you for your time,
Delta Austin