AFP-Myanmar dissident gunmen say ba

Subject: AFP-Myanmar dissident gunmen say back Aung San Suu Kyi

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01BF4372.DD654EC0

Friday, December 10 7:17 PM SGT=20
Myanmar dissident gunmen say back Aung San Suu Kyi
BANGKOK, Dec 10 (AFP) -=20
An armed group that stormed Myanmar's embassy in Bangkok said Friday =
they supported opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, denying reports they =
were against her.

"We support Daw (eds: honorific) Aung San Suu Kyi's non-violent way to =
democracy, and her leading role in the Burmese democracy movement," the =
statement received here said.

"We regard anyone fighting for democracy as our ally, and we will always =
support people fighting for democracy, including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," =
it said.

Five pro-democracy dissidents held 38 people hostage at the Myanmar =
embassy for more than 24 hours on October 1 before exchanging them for a =
helicopter and fleeing to the Thai-Myanmar border.

Earlier reports quoted the leader of the Vigorous Burmese Student =
Warriors (VBSW), who goes by the name Johnny, as saying the armed group =
was frustrated with the Myanmar opposition leader and and Nobel peace =
prize winner and would fight her if she ever came to power.

Myanmar's military rulers meanwhile Friday denied the gunmen were on its =
soil and called for Thai authorities to arrest them.

In recent weeks local newspapers have published photographs and =
interviews with the VBSW, stating that they are hiding out in the =
jungles of eastern Myanmar with a splinter group of Karen rebels.

"Since they are not inside Myanmar territory they are out of our =
jurisdiction," said a junta statement received here by AFP.

"We hope and expect that the competent Thai authorities will take =
necessary legal action against those who had committed international =
terrorism," it said.

Thailand has promised to try the gunmen if they are found in the =
country.

-------

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01BF4372.DD654EC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>Friday, December 10</B> 7:17 PM SGT=20
<H2><FONT size=3D4>Myanmar dissident gunmen say back Aung San Suu=20
Kyi</FONT></H2>BANGKOK, Dec 10 (AFP) -=20
<P>An armed group that stormed Myanmar's embassy in Bangkok said Friday =
they=20
supported opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, denying reports they were =
against=20
her.</P>
<P>"We support Daw (eds: honorific) Aung San Suu Kyi's non-violent way =
to=20
democracy, and her leading role in the Burmese democracy movement," the=20
statement received here said.</P>
<P>"We regard anyone fighting for democracy as our ally, and we will =
always=20
support people fighting for democracy, including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," =
it=20
said.</P>
<P>Five pro-democracy dissidents held 38 people hostage at the Myanmar =
embassy=20
for more than 24 hours on October 1 before exchanging them for a =
helicopter and=20
fleeing to the Thai-Myanmar border.</P>
<P>Earlier reports quoted the leader of the Vigorous Burmese Student =
Warriors=20
(VBSW), who goes by the name Johnny, as saying the armed group was =
frustrated=20
with the Myanmar opposition leader and and Nobel peace prize winner and =
would=20
fight her if she ever came to power.</P>
<P>Myanmar's military rulers meanwhile Friday denied the gunmen were on =
its soil=20
and called for Thai authorities to arrest them.</P>
<P>In recent weeks local newspapers have published photographs and =
interviews=20
with the VBSW, stating that they are hiding out in the jungles of =
eastern=20
Myanmar with a splinter group of Karen rebels.</P>
<P>"Since they are not inside Myanmar territory they are out of our=20
jurisdiction," said a junta statement received here by AFP.</P>
<P>"We hope and expect that the competent Thai authorities will take =
necessary=20
legal action against those who had committed international terrorism," =
it=20
said.</P>
<P>Thailand has promised to try the gunmen if they are found in the =
country.</P>
<CENTER>
<HR>
</CENTER></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>