ha-ha joke ..

Well, not really a joke but   ......

See a full story below from Yahoo with a picture of "Johnny":
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/19991210/wl/myanmar_rebel_hideout_1.html

What is the difference between these armed rebel students and current
illegitimate military junta?
          Not much but the regime is smarter!

Violence will never achieve a real peace - even in Northern Eire, Palestine
region, South Africa, Peru, Columbia, Nigeria and Rwanda.

Peace is achieved through dialogue among leaders with a vision for a better
future.

We will NOT HAVE another GUN WHALING GROUP RAMPAGING throughout Burma or in
neighborhing Thailand or anywhere - the current MILITARY REGIME is ENOUGH as
it is.

T H I N K   W I T H   Y O U R   H E A D,   N O T   W I T H   Y O U R   G U N
S...

Don't be StPuId - !!

---

Myanmar Rebel Leader Vows To Fight

KA MAR PA LAW, Myanmar (AP) - Hiding at a jungle base, the
leader of a small band of student rebels rejected the nonviolent
methods of Myanmar's main opposition party and said his attack on
Myanmar's embassy in Thailand was just the beginning.

The man in his 30s, known only as Johnny, said his Vigorous
Burmese Student Warriors had been prepared to kill Ambassador
Hla Maung - who had left the embassy just before the seizure two months ago.

``I have to say the ambassador is very lucky,'' said Johnny, handing out one
of Hla Maung's
stolen business cards. ``I saw his car leave the embassy about five minutes
before we entered,
but it was too late to call off the operation.''

Johnny surfaced at the border base of a small, mystical ethnic Karen
guerrilla band known as
God's Army, led by twin 12-year-old boys.

The Associated Press visited God's Army - which has almost never been
accessible to
journalists - this week and met three of the student militants. Johnny and
his comrades are on the
run from Thai police, who have issued warrants for their arrest and the
Myanmar army, whose
control over the rebel-ridden border is uneven, wants to capture them.

In a sign of the frustration dogging Myanmar's opposition after decades of
harsh military rule,
Johnny denounced Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the harassed legal opposition
and winner of the
1991 Nobel Peace Prize, for her nonviolent promotion of democracy.

``I don't like Suu Kyi because I don't think she really loves the country,''
Johnny remarked.
``She doesn't have the courage to run the country.''

He said that Suu Kyi's marriage to a British academic, the late Michael
Aris, proved that she
preferred foreigners to her own people - a line of reasoning pushed by the
military government in
branding Suu Kyi a traitor.

``I'll be against her if she's in the government,'' Johnny said.

Suu Kyi and her party criticized the embassy takeover a few days after it
happened, expressing
sympathy but declaring that her movement wanted to ``show that the human
spirit can prevail
over the might of arms and bring about the change that we want.''

Johnny and four other exiled students stormed the embassy Oct. 1, demanding
a restoration of
democracy in Myanmar and holding dozens of diplomats and foreigners hostage
at gunpoint for
26 hours until the captors were given safe passage to the border.

The incident rocked Thailand's relations with Myanmar, particularly because
Thai officials who
negotiated a bloodless end to the siege called the hostage-takers
freedom-fighters.

Myanmar retaliated by closing the border. Thailand then expelled about
10,000 illegal
Myanmarese workers and has moved to send exiled student dissidents who have
been based in
Thailand to third countries.

Johnny, whose real name is a matter of intense speculation, said the embassy
takeover was
meant to attract attention so the world would put pressure on Myanmar's
military regime, widely
criticized for suppressing human rights and democracy.

``I just wanted to show the Burmese what we can do,'' Johnny said. ``And I
think we have
achieved that.''

Johnny's one regret was that Thailand toughened conditions for Myanmar
refugees after the
takeover. He apologized to Thailand for having to carry out the action on
its soil.

Johnny expressed enthusiasm for God's Army, which gave them shelter when
more established
rebel groups were apparently unwilling. Still, he promised that the Vigorous
Burmese Student
Warriors would not fade away.

``We won't be here too long,'' he said. ``There's still many more things to
do. But can't say what
they will be. It will be a fight to get rid of the Burmese government.''

To: MAYKHA-L <MAYKHA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        BURMANET
<burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>,        SCB <soc.culture.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
      BURMANET2 <burmanet2-l@xxxxxxxx>