The New Light of Myanmar ( Tuesday,

Subject: The New Light of Myanmar ( Tuesday, December 14, 1999 )

The New Light of Myanmar ( Tuesday, December 14, 1999 )
1. Senior General Than Shwe congratulates Dr Mahathir re-elected as Prime
Minister of Malaysia
2. Secretary 1 sends message of congratulations to Malaysia
3. Preparations made to open Maha Thantithukha Buddhist Missionary
Kyaungdawgyi
4. Secretary 2 attends opening of No 12 sugar mill in bray and cotton mill in
Taungdwingyi
5. Deputy Prime Minister meets Chairman of Daimex Inc
6. Minister for Foreign Affairs congratulates Malaysian counterpart
7. Minister meets foreign entrepreneurs
8. Seminar held on Traffic Policy and Loss Prevention of Motor Insurance
9. Third Meeting of ASEAN Directors-General of Immigration Departments and
Heads of Consular Divisions begins
10. Minister inspects repair and maintenance works of railroads and bridges
11. Minister meets MD of Hopeson Myanmar
12. Minister inspects extension of Putao Airport
13. Minister receives Chairman of UPSA Pain Institute and party
14. Laboratory apparatus for hospitals
15. Training on Data Collection, Statistical Analysis begins
16. Japanese buckwheat merchants tour north-east region of Shan State
17. Hotels to be leased to entrepreneurs
18. Donations for Defence Services Orthopedic Hospital (500-bed)
19. 76 gold plates donated to Shwedagon Pagoda
20. Shwedagon Htidaw Pagoda to be dedicated 22 Dec
21. Yangon Command soccer champion
22. Uni Mitsubishi Pencil lucks draw
23. 5 kilos opium seized in Kutkai
24. 44 members resign from Minhla Township NLD
______________

1. Senior General Than Shwe congratulates Dr Mahathir re-elected as Prime
Minister of Malaysia

YANGON, 14 Dec - Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman of the State Peace and
Development Council and Prime Minister of the Union of Myanmar, has sent a
message of congratulations to His Excellency Dato? Seri Dr Mahathir bin
Mohamad who has been re-elected as Prime Minister of Malaysia.
___________________________________

2. Secretary 1 sends message of congratulations to Malaysia

YANGON, 14 Dec - Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, Secretary-l of the State Peace and
Development Council of the Union of Myanmar, has sent a message of
congratulations to His Excellency Dato? Seri Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi who
has been re-appointed as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs
of Malaysia on 10 December 1999.
______________________________________

3. Preparations made to open Maha Thantithukha Buddhist Missionary
Kyaungdawgyi

YANGON, 13 Dec - Patron of the Inauguration of Maha Thantithukha Buddhist
Missionary Kyaungdawgyi Secretary-l of the State Peace and Development
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt this morning inspected preparations being made for
holding the inauguration ceremony of the Kyaungdawgyi.

Accompanied by officials of the State Peace and Development Council Office,
the Secretary-l arrived at the Kyaungdawgyi in Tarmway Township and was
welcomed by member of the State Peace and Development Council Chairman of
Yangon Division Peace and Development Council Commander of Yangon Command,
Deputy Minister for Construction, heads of department, chairman of the
Upathaka Committee and members and officials.
The Secretary-l and party then paid respects to Penang -Singapore Sayadaw
Agga Maha Pandita Agga Maha Saddhammajotikadhaja Bhaddanta Pannavamsa.

At his meeting with officials, the Secretary-l coordinated matters on opening
of the Kyaungdawgyi.

In his address, the Secretary-1 said the work committee and the respective
subcommittees should strive in harmony for systematically holding the
inauguration ceremony and the merit sharing ceremony on a grand scale.
Necessary measures should be taken to ensure convenience of the public who
will attend the ceremonies.

Commander of Yangon Command, Chairman of Upathaka Committee(Retd), chairmen
of the respective subcommittees and officials presented accomplishments
sector-wise.

The Secretary-l attended to their requirements.

Afterwards, the Secretary-1 and party inspected preparations for holding the
ceremonies to inaugurate the Kyaungdawgyi and to share the merits gained.
_____________________________

4. Secretary-2 attends opening of No 12 sugar mill in bray and cotton mill in
Taungdwingyi

YANGON, 13 Dec - Secretary-2 of the State Peace and Development Council
Lt-Gen Tin Oo attended No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei) near Mya Village in Pyay
Township and a cotton mill in Taungdwingyi this morning and inspected Yanpe
and Son Creek Reservoir Projects.

The Secretary-2, accompanied by Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation,
Minister at the Prime Minister?s Office, the directors-general of State Peace
and Development Council Office and departments, the deputy director-general
and officials, President of the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of
Commerce and Industry and officials, left here for Pyay in Bago Division by
Tatmadaw flight.

The Secretary-2 and party were welcomed by member of the State Peace and
Development Council Chairman of Bago Division Peace and Development Council
Commander of Southern Command, Deputy Minister for Industry-2, Chairman of
Bago Division Peace and Development Council Western Branch and officials.

The Secretary-2 and party went to No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei) where Managing
Director of Myanma Sugarcane Enterprise reported on nine sugar mills
construction projects, completion of No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei), testing of
the mill and cultivation of sugarcane.

Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation gave a supplementary report.
Next, Commander Maj-Gen Tin Aye reported on production of the two old sugar
mills in Zeyawady and Yedashe Township, construction of four sugar mills in
Bago Division and cultivation and purchase of sugarcane.

The Secretary-2 then gave instructions. He spoke on production at full
capacity extension of cultivation acreage of sugarcane and matters relating
to crops on which the State relies.

The Secretary-2 then presented a fruit basket to Director Mr Sivathep Srile
Kha of Sutech Engineering Co Ltd.

Opening ceremony of No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei) was held in front of the mill.

It was also attended by the Secretary-2 and party, Bago Division level
officials, Chairmen of Pyay District and Township Peace and Development
Councils, officials of the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, service
personnel and pom pom dance troupes.
Secretary-2 Lt-Gen Tin Oo formally unveiled the signboard of No 12 sugar mill
(Nawadei).

Next, Director Mr Sivathep Srile Kha of Sutech Engineering Co Ltd formally
opened the mill.

The Secretary-2 and party inspected the mill.
Myanma Sugarcane Enterprise laid down the objectives of local sufficiency in
sugar consumption, more production of sugar materials for sugar-based
industries and export of surplus sugar.

Sugar is now produced by present sugar mills and arrangements are being made
for boosting production of sugar by constructing sugar mills.

Nine sugar mills are four in Bago Division, two each in Mandalay and Magway
Divisions and one in Yangon Division. Out of them, No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei)
was opened first.
The No 12 sugar mill (Nawadei) is expected to produce 21,478 tons of sugar
for 1999-2000.

The Secretary-2 and party went to Magway by Tatmadaw flight. They were
welcomed by member of the State Peace and Development Council Chairman of
Mandalay Division Peace and Development Council Commander of Central Command,
Minister for National Planning and Economic Development, Chairman of Magway
Division and Development Council and officials.
The Secretary-2 and party left for the site of Yanpe Creek Reservoir Project
in Taungdwingyi by helicopter.

The Secretary-2 and party inspected progress of work of the project.

Deputy Director of Irrigation Department (Construction-3) reported on the
project. Acting Director-General gave supplementary report.

Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation and Chairman also reported on
progress of work.

The Secretary-2 gave instructions and met farmers in the region.

Yanpe Dam is one of the irrigation projects in east of Magway. On completion
of the project, it will irrigate 10,000 acres of land in Taungdwingyi
Township and it will-contribute towards regional development and greening.

The Secretary-2 and party attended opening of cotton mill of Myanmar Cotton
and Sericulture Enterprise.

It was also attended by departmental officials of Magway Division, service
personnel; members of the Union Solidarity and Development Association,
members of Maternal and Child Welfare Association and students.

The.Secretary-2 formally opened the mill and inspected it.

The Secretary-2 met those present at the ceremony.

Managing Director of Myanmar Cotton and Sericulture Enterprise reported on
construction of the mill.

Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation then presented gifts to the
Secretary-2 and party.

After the ceremony, the Secretary-2 and party went to the site of Son Creek
Reservoir Project in Myothit Township in Magway Division.

Director of Irrigation Department (Construction-3) reported on progress of
work and tasks to be undertaken and Chairman of Magway Division Peace and
Development Council reported ,on flow of water, completed dams and acreage
and Minister on reservoir projects and use of machinery.

The Secretary-2 called for earlier completion of the, project than targeted
in accord with the standard set and for coordination with local residents for
more supply of water.
The Secretary-2 and party inspected the project site.

The earth dam is being built on Son Creek, two miles from Myepyintha Village
in Myothit Township.
On completion of the dam it will irrigate 7,000 acres and it will contribute
towards regional development and greening of the area.

The Secretary-2 and party inspected cultivation of crops on alluvial lands
along Ayeyawady River in Magway.
________________________________

5. Deputy Prime Minister meets Chairman of Daimex Inc

YANGON, 13 Dec - Deputy Prime Minister Lt-Gen Tin Tun met Chairman of Daimex
Inc of Japan Mr.Shunichi Takenaga and party who called at his office at 3 pm
today.

Also present on the occasion were officials of the Government?s Office.

6. Minister for Foreign Affairs congratulates Malaysian counterpart

YANGON, 14 Dec - U Win Aung, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Union of
Myanmar, has sent a message of congratulations to His Excellency Datuk Sebri
Syed Hamid bin Syed jaafar Albar who has been re-appointed as Minister of
Foreign Affairs of Malaysia on 10 December 1999.
________________________________

7. Minister meets foreign entrepreneurs

YANGON, 13 Dec - Minister for Industry-l U Aung Thaung met Senior
Vice-President Mr Masahiro Sakazaki and party of Toshiba Corporation of Japan
who called at his officer at 3 pm today.

The minister also received Mr Wu Chang Yun and party of Industrial Expansion
Co Ltd of China Hunan International Economic & Technical Cooperation who
called at his office at 3.45 pm today.

Also present at the call were Deputy Ministers and departmental heads.

8. Seminar held on Traffic Policy and Loss Prevention of Motor Insurance

YANGON, 13 Dec - The Seminar on Traffic Policy and Loss Prevention of Motor
Insurance jointly organized by Myanma Insurance under the Ministry of Finance
and Revenue and Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Co Ltd of Japan, was held at
the Hotel Nikko Royal Lake this morning.

Minister for Finance and Revenue U Khin Maung Thein made a speech.

General Manager of Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Co Ltd Mr S Ichihara spoke
words of thanks.

Resource persons from Myanma Insurance and Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Co
Ltd took part in the discussions.

Also present on the occasion were Deputy Minister for Finance and Revenue,
Governor of the Central Bank of Myanmar, Managing Director of Myanma
Insurance, directors-general and managing directors of the Ministry of
Finance and Revenue and officials of Myanma Insurance and Mitsui Marine &
Fire Insurance Co Ltd.

9. Third Meeting of ASEAN Directors-General of Immigration Departments and
Heads of Consular Divisions begins

YANGON, 13 Dec - The Third Meeting of ASEAN Directors-General of Immigration
Departments and Heads of Consular Divisions was opened this morning at the
Traders Hotel, with an address by Minister for Immigration and Population U
Saw Tun.

Also present on the occasion were Ministers at the State Peace and
Development Council Chairman?s Office and, Minister for Cooperatives,
Minister for Forestry, Minister for Hotels and Tourism, Minister for Culture,
Minister for Labour, Minister at the Prime Minister?s Office, Chief Justice,
Attorney-General, Auditor-General, Deputy Minister for Information, Deputy
Minister for Hotels and Tourism, Deputy Minister for Immigration and
Population, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN Secretariat Mr Immanuel Robert
InKirwang and officials, delegates of 10 ASEAN nations including Myanmar,
directors-general of Immigration Departments, heads of Consular Divisions,
ambassadors and diplomats of missions of ASEAN nations and officials of the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Immigration and Population.
First, Director-General of Immigration of Malaysia Dato Aseh bin Haji Che Mat
gave the opening remarks. He said:

It is a great honour for me to say a few words in this opening ceremony of
the Third Meeting of ASEAN Directors General of Immigration Department and
Heads of Consular Divisions. In the last Meeting which was held in Kuala
Lumpur in 1997 not all ASEAN Directors General of Immigration today were
present. Today, after two years since the last meeting we have a new set of
people including the Director General of Immigration from Cambodia whom I
would like to welcome as a member of ASEAN for the first time.

I wish to convey my special thanks to U Maung Htay Director General of
Immigration and National Registration Department the Union of Myanmar for
inviting all ASEAN delegates to this Meeting . For your information this is
my first visit to your country after awaiting eagerly to come.
Finally, I was relieved and very happy when I was informed that the Meeting
in Yangon is on this year. In fact where we first arrived last night and
after seeing at first glance of your country I told my colleagues that we
should come here a long time ago. This means to say that we really like your
beautiful country. I would like to thank you for the warmth and hospitality
extended to all delegates who are attending this meeting.

Again I must congratulate U Maung Htay, his officers and the secretariat for
their hard work and efforts in making this Third meeting of ASEAN?s Director
General of Immigration a successful one. Without their commitments and
eagerness, I don?t think we can come here today to attend this auspicious
occasion. I would like also to take this opportunity to express our highest
gratitude to the ASEAN secretariat especially to Mr Immanuel Robert
Inkiriwang, Deputy Secretary General of ASEAN for their assistance and
guidance to make this meeting a success.

Today?s gathering is very timely and important to us because it proves that
we in the ASEAN are actually united and able to overcome whatever problems
and misunderstandings between us. This Meeting, too is so meaningful as it
shows our solidarity in ASEAN. We must speak in one common language
especially when facing challenges outside ASEAN. Without cooperation and
unity, our enemy could easily penetrate and disunite us.

More importantly, this meeting will enhance the cooperation among the ASEAN
nations in relation to the common interest as follows:

Firstly, to promote tourism among ASEAN countries by streamlining visa
system;secondly, to facilitate ,or simplify the mobility of foreign workers
between ASEAN countries;

Thirdly,exchanging information and networking with regard to the securities
and enforcement issues such as fraudulent documents; drug trafficking and
children and other criminal activities; and

Finally, to exchange views on the readiness of Y2K and to discuss immigration
challenges in the next millennium.

During the two days meeting for sure we are going to renew our relationship,
and I hope we can achieve, a lot of things. The outcome of the meeting would
be very encouraging towards our future undertakings. Let this meeting become
a place were all matters pertaining to our common interest be handled in the
spirit of ASEAN. Any grievances and misunderstanding should be resolved as
ASEAN brotherhood.
Lastly, I would like to call all participants to make use of this meeting
towards achieving our common objectives in making ASEAN?s Immigration as
transport immigration with world class standard. To the host country, the
Union of Myanmar, thank you once again and we would be very happy to
reciprocate your kindness. To all my ASEAN?s colleagues, I wish you further
progress and success.

Then, Minister U Saw Tun delivered the opening address.

He said.

It is indeed a great honour for the Union of Myanmar by having the
opportunity to host this auspicious ??Third Meeting of ASEAN
Directors-General of Immigration Departments and Heads of Consular
Divisions.? I would also like to extend my hearty welcome to the Cambodia,
the new member of our ASEAN family.

We are now at the threshold of the 21st century. There are new challenges
ahead of us. It is our noble task to find ways and means to overcome these
challenges. We do believe we need the strength of our unity and togetherness.
We are, therefore, confident that if we all work together in unity we could
tackle any obstacle through; our ASEAN way of mutual understanding,
cooperation and collaboration.
We also realise that ASEAN could archieve its success through deliberations
based on mutual understanding, cooperation and collaboration. Since the
present meting is based on technical matters, we believe that some
understanding on cooperation and collaboration in respect of regional trade
and economic matters could also be obtained. We earnestly hope that our
concerted efforts and united endeavours could bring a meaningful effect on
achievement of regional development and modernization.

We believe that in the coming year 2000 in order to keep up with the pace of
the development of world economy, we, ASEAN nations need to put more efforts
based on ASEAN spirit We still have many things to be done. We realise that
there is more in common among us than the little that differ. Therefore let
us hope for the best and try very hard resolutely so as to achieve our
ASEAN?s goal.

In conclusion, while welcoming the 21st Century, may I on behalf of the
Government and the people of the Union of Myanmar extend our warm and sincere
wishes for the prosperity, well being and happiness of the peoples and the
brother nations of the region.

Participants discussed the framework for ASEAN cooperation on immigration
matters, matters arising from the previous meeting, visa free entry for ASEAN
nations, use of smart cards as travel document in ASEAN, ASEAN lanes at ASEAN
intentional airports, harmonization of ASEAN Immigration Disembarkation
Cards, common ASEAN entry visa for tourists coming into ASEAN countries,
facilitation of yachts, leisure boats and private aircraft within ASEAN and
training of Immigration officials from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.

Minister U Saw Tun hosted dinner in honour of the delegates at Royal Garden
Restaurant.

The meeting continues tomorrow.
_____________________________________

10. Minister inspects repair and maintenance works of railroads and bridges

YANGON, 13 Dec - Minister for Rail Transportation U Pan Aung, together with
officials, inspected the repair; and maintenance works of railroads and
bridges along the route from Ywahtaung Railway Station to KhinU Railway
Station in Sagaing Division on 10 December morning.

The minister inspected the building of railroad from Khin Oo to YeU in the
afternoon, and gave instructions on timely completion of railroads and
bridges to engineers in the briefing hall of YeU Bridge Project.

Afterwards, the minister inspected the sites for building a railroad and a
railway station in Tintein Village, YeU Township and gave instructions on
works.

Member of the Central Executive, Committee of the Union Solidarity and
Development Association Minister for Rail Transportation U Pan Aung met with
members of the executive committee and members of Tintein Village USDA and
presented donations for the association.

On 11 December, the minister inspected the repair and maintenance works of
railroads and bridges from Magway to Taungdwingyi and gave instructions on
works.

The minister also inspected land erosion and repair work at Kyeni Creek
Bridge in Aunglan.
_______________________________

11. Minister meets MD of Hopeson Myanmar

YANGON, 13 Dec - Minister for Hotels and Tourism Maj-Gen Saw Lwin met
Managing Director Mr Toshio Yoneda of Hopeson Myanmar Co Ltd who called at
his office this noon.

Hopeson Myanmar Co Ltd is building Yangon Commercial Tower in Yangon.

Also present at the call were Deputy Minister, Director-General of Director
of Hotels and Tourism, Managing Director of Myanmar Hotels and Tourism
Services and officials.
__________________________________

12. Minister inspects extension of Putao Airport

YANGON, 13 Dec - Minister for Transport Maj-Gen Hla Myint Swe, accompanied by
Director-General f Directorate of Civil Aviation and officials of Department
of Water Resources and Improvement of River Systems arrived at Putao, Kachin
State, by air, on 12 December.

In the meeting hall of Putao Airport, Chairman of Putao District Peace and
Development Council reported to the minister and party on works carried out
for the district, township and regional development, Director-General on
extension of runways of the airport and earth-work, tarring, finishing
touches, obtaining funds and works being carried out and Assistant Engineer
of Public Works on progress of work and future works.

The minister fulfilled their requirements.

Then, the minister and party inspected the ticket booth, security gates,
counters, the passenger lounge, and greening and beautifying of the airport.

This morning, the minister and party inspected the apron, runways, fencing of
the airport and the signboard at the end of the runway.
Later, the minister and party went on to Mulashidi Village where they
inspected building of a suspension bridge of the village and left Putao in
the afternoon.
_____________________________

13. Minister receives Chairman of UPSA Pain Institute and party

YANGON, 13 Dec - Minister for Health Maj-Gen Ket Sein received Chairman of
UPSA Pain Institute of France Dr Madame Licolebru and party who called at his
office at 11.30 am today.
Also present at the call were officials of the Ministry of Health.
_____________________________

14. Laboratory apparatus for hospitals

YANGON, 13 Dec - General Manager Mr T Mashimoto of Kinsho Corporation (Yangon
Office) of AVL Switzerland & Kinsho Corporation of Japan donated laboratory
apparatus worth US $ 51,800 to be used in hospitals of the Ministry of
Health, at the ministry on Pyidaungsu Yeiktha Road, here this morning.
Minister for Health Maj-Gen Ket Sein accepted the donations and presented a
certificate of honour to the well-wisher.

Also present on the occasion were officials of the ministry.
________________________________

15. Training on Data Collection, Statistical Analysis begins

YANGON, 13 Dec - The Training on Data Collection and statical analysis,
jointly organized by Central Statistical Organization and Myanmar Singapore
joint Ministerial WoAing Committee began at National Archives Department this
morning.

Present were Deputy Minister for National Planning and Economic Development
Brig-Gen Zaw Tun, representative of Singapore Trade Development Board, Mr Ho
Shih Chuan, Head of Department, invited guests and participants. Deputy
Minister Brig-Gen Zaw Tun delivered the opening speech and Mr Ho Shih Chuan
also spoke on the occasion. The training will take one week from 13th to 17th
December.
The training is being attended by 45 participates firm 23 departments of 16
ministries.
____________________________

16. Japanese buckwheat merchants tour north-east region of Shan State

YANGON, 13 Dec - Altogether 19 Japanese buckwheat merchants led by
Director-General of LDP Research Council of Japan Mr Tomomitsu Iwakura and
Chairman of Japan Noodle Entrepreneurs Association Mr Chojiro Jinta, together
with member of the Central Committee for Drug Abuse Control Col Kyaw Thein,
Deputy Director -General Lt-Col Myint Swe of Department for Progress of
Border Areas and National Races and officials, left here for Lashio on 10
December morning.
They paid a courtesy call on Commander of North-East Command Maj-Gen Thiha
Thura Tin Aung Myint Oo at the command in Lashio.
Then, they went to Tarshwehtan Village in Kokang region, north-east of Shan
State, by helicopter, and observed buckwheat fields.
Afterwards, they proceeded to Laukkai, where they observed the seed purifying
factory donated by Japan, and had discussions with buckwheat growers and
local national race leaders.
They arrived back here on 11 December afternoon. They held a press briefing
with national and foreign journalists at Yangon International Airport on 12
December evening, and left here for Japan by air later in the evening.
__________________________

17. Hotels to be leased to entrepreneurs

YANGON, 13 Dec - Hotels under Myanma Hotels and Tourism Services of Ministry
of Hotels and Tourism are to be leased to entrepreneurs, and the rent is
negotiable.

The hotels to be leased include Sittway Hotel in Sittway, MraukU Hotel in
MraukU and Nan Myaing Hotel, Thiri Myaing Hotel and Gandamar Myaing Hotel in
PyinOoLwin, Mandalay Division.

Interested entrepreneurs may send their applications to the managing director
of Myanma Hotels and Tourism Services in January, Year 2000.

To be described in the application are the facts about experience in hotel
and tourism industry, shareholders, security, the number of the present hotel
staff to be employed, further investment, future plan and annual rent.

For further information, contact 280814, 285158 and 252160 of Myanma Hotels
and Tourism Services.
_________________________

18. Donations for Defence Services Orthopedic Hospital (500-bed)

YANGON, 13 Dec -Agga Maha Thirithudhamma Theingi Daw Hse of Shwe Hse Company,
No 30, Nawadae Road, Dagon Township, donated hospital equipment worth K
500,000 and garments worth K 110,000 for patients being treated at Defence
Services Orthopedic Hospital (500-bed) this morning.

Commandant of DSOH Col Than Myint accepted the donations and presented a
certificate of honour to the well-wisher.
_____________________

19. 76 gold plates donated to Shwedagon Pagoda

YANGON, 13 Dec - A ceremony to offer gold plates and foils to Shwedagon
Pagoda by well-wishers was held at the Tazaung, the southern corners at the
pagoda this morning.

Altogether well-wishers conveyed 76 gold plates onto the pagoda with
decorated float.

The gold plates were fixed at the bell of the pagoda today.

20. Shwedagon Htidaw Pagoda to be dedicated 22 Dec

YANGON, 13 Dec - The Htidaw hoisting ceremony, enshrinement and consecration
of Shwedagon Htidaw Pagoda will be held at the pagoda at the north-east
corner, on the platform of Shwedagon Pagoda, at 6.30 am on 22 December.

Shwedagon Htidaw Pagoda enshrined the old Htidaw in commemoration of new
Htidaw hoisting atop Shwedagon Pagoda.

Devotees, well-wishers and monks may attend the ceremony and participate in
donation of 9,000 fruits, flowers and oil lights to the pagoda.
___________________________________

21. Yangon Command soccer champion

YANGON, 13 Dec - Yangon Command beat No 99 Light Infantry Division 5-2 in the
final match of the 38th Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services? Shield
Tatmadaw (Army, Navy and Air) Soccer Tournament held at Youth Training
Centre, Thuwunna, at 3 pm today.
Marketing Enterprise was held at Hotel Equatorial on Alanpya Phaya Road in
Dagon Township yesterday evening.

General Manager Mr Robert Chan and International Operation General Manager
Mr. Yokoishi of Mitsubishi Pencil Co Ltd extended greetings and explained the
use of the stationery produced by the company.

Then, officials presented lucky dip prizes to the winners and Managing
Director U Tin Aung Kywe-of Infiniti Marketing Enterprise spoke words of
thanks.
_______________________________________

23. 5 kilos opium seized in Kutkai

YANGON, 1 3 Dec - A combined group comprising members of.local intelligence
unit and Myanmar Police Force searched a van with number plates 1 Kal 6834,
leaving Aom Tarmonye to Kutkai, near the bridge of Naungcho Village Mawhan
Village-tract, Kutkai Township, on 5 December.

The group seized seven packets of opium weighing 5.797 kilos from passengers
Daw Mar Rwe, 40, daughter of U Khun Aung and Daw Kyon Nyee, 38, daughter of U
Khong Gyon: of Lwetauksusee Village, Kutkai.

Action is taken against them under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances Law.
________________________________

24. 44 members resign from Minhla Township NLD

YANGON, 13 Dec - Forty-four members resigned for National League for
Democracy of Minhla Township Bago Division.

Forty-four members of Minhla Township NLD, Bag Division, of their own
volition, resigned by sending letters of resignation to Minhla Township
Multiparty Democracy General Election Commission and the party concerned on 4
October 1999 as they no longer wished to participate in party politics of NLD.

WEATHER
Maximum temperature on Dec 11 was 31.0 °C (88°F)
Minimum temperature on Dec 12 was 19.0 °C (66°F)