Burma News Update, No. 99

Open Society Institute
The Burma Project

Burma News Update No. 99

Khin Nyunt: "Clear Conscience"

While in the Philippines for the recent summit of the Association
of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Burmese junta intelligence
chief Lt.-General Khin Nyunt granted a rare interview to a Western
journalist. In his luxury suite at one of  Manila's top hotels, the
general insisted that the ASEAN nations' principle of non-interference
in each other's affairs remained firm, despite Thai and Philippine
government statements of concern over events in Burma. He also
insisted that "there are no political prisoners in our country. We
do not put people into prison because of their political beliefs."  The
General claimed that democratic reforms would come more quickly
if the junta was not pressured internally or externally, and that "we
are quite ready to allow as much freedom as possible under our
current laws." Asked why his regime is so unfriendly to the press,
he replied: "I have nothing against a free press nor do I distrust the
foreign media.... I'm not worried because I have a clear conscience
that I am trying to do my utmost for the  good of the country."

"Asiaweek,"  http://cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek/, 17 December

Sovereignty No Cover For Abuse

In the introduction to its 2000 annual report, Human Rights Watch
(HRW) states that national sovereignty is today eroding "as an
obstacle to stopping and redressing crimes against humanity.
Governmental leaders who committed these crimes faced a greater
chance of prosecution and even military intervention.The lesson sent
is that leaders risk their freedom and control of territory if they commit
the most severe human rights abuses." Citing the arrest of former
Chilean military dictator Augusto Pinochet  in Britain, creation of
international criminal tribunals to investigate gross abuses in the
Balkans and Rwanda, HRW argues that "These trends mark the
beginning of a new era for the human rights movement," adding,
"Until now, the lack of anything resembling an international criminal
justice system restricted the options available to defend human rights."

"Human Rights Watch,"  www.hrw.org/wr2k/, 10 December

Universities to Reopen

Three years after Burma's universities were shuttered in an effort to
stem student protests against military rule, Burmese students are being
notified that classes may resume soon. The closure of 30 institutions,
affecting over 100,000 students, came after the army regime violently
suppressed student demonstrations in Rangoon in December 1996.
Some of the main campuses in Rangoon may not re-open, however,
as students are being instructed to report to new facilities dispersed
on the outskirts of the capital.

"The Nation," Bangkok, 09 December

Jailed Writer Honored

Imprisoned Burmese journalist and novelist Daw San San Nweh has
been awarded the annual press freedom award by Reporters Sans
Frontieres (RSF, or Reporters Without Borders). Daw San San Nweh was
detained in August 1994 and sentenced to ten years' imprisonment for
"publishing information harmful to the state." The 55 year-old writer, who
has published 12 novels, is reportedly gravely ill "because of the very harsh
conditions in prison and the torture shehas endured," the Paris-based
media freedom group said. Thirteen other journalists known to be jailed by
the country's army junta, are "living through real hell," RSF said, adding,
"Since 1962, the junta ... has consistently and with exceptional violence
crushed the slightest attempt to launch a free press."

Paris, "Agence France-Presse," 09 December

Congressman Warns Junta

Louisiana republican Congressman Rep. John Cooksey visited Burma
in November as part of a US Congressional delegation touring Southeast
Asia. Cooksey and his colleagues monitored human rights conditions and
counter-narcotics efforts. In Burma, Congressman Cooksey met with
democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and reports that he warned the
military regime that if Daw Suu Kyi is harmed, it would be the "beginning of
the end" of their rule. [The Associated Press reported from Rangoon on 08
December that Democratic Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts met with
Daw Suu Kyi, as well as senior junta leader Lt.-Gen. Khin Nyunt, during a
two-day visit to Burma].

New Orleans, "Times Picayune," 05 December

Burma Y2K Ready

International experts have helped Burma prepare for any computers problems
arising from the "Y2K" problem, officials said. A junta minister said that Burma
"has no large computer network to speak of and taking the precautionary
measure for Y2K is not difficult."

Rangoon, "Xinhua News Agency," 10 December

Jamaica Ties

Burma has established diplomatic relations with Jamaica, according to an
announcement on state-controlled radio in Rangoon.

"BBC Summary of World Broadcasts," 08 December

BURMA NEWS UPDATE is a publication of
the Burma Project of the Open Society Institute.
400 West 59th Street, New York, N.Y. 10019
tel: (212) 548-0632 fax: (212) 548-4655
http://www.soros.org/burma