Burmese Citizenship. Re: Informatio

Subject: Burmese Citizenship. Re: Information Sheet No.B-1173(1) December 6,1999.

Dear Friends,
I am wondering why the article focus so much attention on Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi's Burmese
Citizenship and misinterprete the simple language writen in 1948 Burma
Constitution. Let me
repeat here. " Any person who is under any acknowlegement of allegians or
adherance to a
Foreign power, or a Subject or a Citizen is entitled to the rights and
privileges of a subject or citizen
of a Foreign Power. " Another sentence continues "Thus she is not
entitled to contest for the seat in the country's election." I find these
two sentences have no relevent connection at all. The first sentence
mentioned about entitlement of a foreign Subject or Citizenship while the
second sentence defined
the right to contest in the country's election.
Let me examine the first sentence. Entitlement does not bestow foreign
citizenship automatically.
Individual needs to put up application and produce evidence required to
prove his/ her owing allegiance
to that foreign power. Only then it will have to go through the
naturalization process before the idividual
is being awarded that foreign citizenship. I am not sure if the
Information Committee understand the
meaning of the words allegiance or entitlement. If they understand them,
they should not interpreted
those words in a misleading and bias way.
Dear friends, if marrying a foreign national deprived individual of
his/her Burmese Citizenship, General
Ne Win should be the first Burmese national to loose his Burmese
Citizenship for marrying Yadana
Nat Mai. If I remember it correctly, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on many
ocations insisted that she is a
Burmese and she will always be a Burmese. She had never hold a British
Pass Port or a certificate
of British Citizenship. There has never been any proof that she owe
allegiance to the British
Government or Foreign Power if you prefer to say it that way. Marrying a
foreign national is a private
and family affair and SPDC should leave individual alone. In my two
decades long years of my
career as an Immigration officer as well as National Registration
officer, most of the subjects I
had been dealing with was Foreign National and Burmese Citizenship. I
have not come across
any sentence which stated that " Any person who is married to or marry a
foreigner is ceased to
be a citizen of the Union of Burma." I have not seen it in either 1948
Burma Constitution or in Union
Citizenship Act. Then why SPDC insisted that Daw suu is not entitled to
contest in the country's
election? The only conclution is SPDC want to get rid of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi once and for all
from the Burma political arena. They are so vengeful that their vengeance
vailed and blinded them
so much to see clearly  the simple language writen in the 1948 Burma
Constitution.

Best Regards.

                         Saw Aung Khin.