W O R L D Dharma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spirit In Action: WorldDharma's Free Monthly Newsletter
   ~~~~~~      New Millennium Inaugural Issue      ~~~~~~
In Commemoration of International Human Rights Day
December 17, 1999 Year 1 Volume I
By Alan Clements for WorldDharma.com
                                                     ***
located at: http://www.WorldDharma.com
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fearlessness may be a gift but perhaps more precious is the courage
acquired through endeavor, courage that comes from cultivating the habit
of refusing to let fear dictate one's actions, courage that could be
described as grace under pressure.
Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma's Nobel Peace laureate,
and leader of her country's nonviolent struggle for freedom
      Dear Friend,

Please accept a complimentary issue of Spirit In Action - a free monthly
newsletter service offered by "WorldDharma." Spirit In Action is a
non-sectarian broadcast dedicated to exploring the link between our
'inner' journey and engagement with the 'outer' world through freedom,
service and activism.
If you feel so stirred, please tell others about our Web site, subscribe
to our newsletter and or forward your copy of Spirit In Action to
friends, colleagues and associates. We're just starting and our ability
to continue depends on the support from those who care.Thanking you in
advance for your help.

The Awakening of Conscience
On December 10th people from around the world gathered in support of
International Human Rights Day.  Of course, everyone of good heart can
appreciate the value of freedom and dignity. But imagine if we could not
speak openly, travel freely, or practice our form of spirituality? What
if "expressing  freedom" was a  punishable crime against the state?
Nearly 42 percent of  the world's governments are not democratic.
The following statement appeared in the Bangkok Post 10 December, 1999.
"I have run away from Burmese soldiers five times in my life, as a
child, a teenager, a young bride, a mother of two, and last year when I
lost my husband and youngest daughter.  I don't have the energy to run
any more. It's best for me to stay here. I'll probably stay here until
the day I die."
This woman is not alone. She is in each of us, in part.
"...the Burmese expression for refugee is dukkha-the, 'one who has to
bear dukkha, suffering.' In that sense, none of us can avoid knowing
what it is to be a refugee. The refuge we all seek is protection from
forces which wrench us away from the security and comfort, physical and
mental, which give dignity and meaning to human existence."
Aung San Suu
Kyi
Freedom and dignity are the life blood of democracy, while the bed rock
of freedom is founded upon the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
This document of only one page, (contained at the end of this broadcast)
is perhaps the most important Declaration ever conceived, and arguably
one of the most neglected and abused. Few people even know about it, and
far fewer know what is contained within it.  As a tiny gesture of
support for the millions of oppressed people,  we will devote our first
broadcast to the 'essence meaning' of the Declaration.
Beyond the words, we encourage everyone to allow their hearts to be
stirred and do all that we can to elevate the hope, happiness and
general well-being of those who are suffering.
"Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places,
close to home - so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any
maps of the world. Such are the places where every man, woman, and child
seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity, without
discrimination.  Unless these rights have meaning there, they have
little meaning anywhere."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1948
What is the 'essence' of the Declaration of Human Rights?
Even though the theme of one generation's sacrifice for the next has
been constant throughout time, it wasn't until after the epic horror of
World War II that humanity felt it could no longer trust in the
certainty of tomorrow. An urgency swept the globe, and from the "crisis
of conscience" an awakening occurred, as leaders of the world realized
the necessity of establishing an international body whose main purpose
was to "save succeeding generations from the scourge of war" by
reaffirming "faith in fundamental rights."
In 1946, shortly after the establishing of the United Nations,
representatives from the majority of world governments took an even more
visionary step forward, proclaiming that "human rights must be protected
and promoted for the sake of our survival." This pivotal moment in
history represented the first stirring of a new vision: what we think of
today as the Global Village or the Family of Man.
Eleanor Roosevelt, the United States ambassador to the United Nations,
was selected to head the newly formed Commission on Human Rights to
determine the constituents of mankind's inalienable freedoms. She and
other members of the commission were determined to write a document that
would live and last, a document  that would protect and empower men and
women, irrespective of color, creed or culture. Their goal was to
establish a universal framework for all beings to realize their highest
potential and live in freedom and dignity.  Thus, on December 10, 1948,
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted by the UN
Generally Assembly stating that "freedom from fear" was mankind's
highest aspiration.
Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma, leader of her country's non-violent struggle
for freedom, and 1991's Nobel Peace laureate, has stated: "What is the
quintessential meaning of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? The
essence of this Declaration can be found in understanding the meaning of
just one word - conscience. In the preamble we can read ' disregard and
contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have
outraged the conscience of mankind.' In Article One we see the word
again: 'All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one
another in a spirit of brotherhood.' The key is in the awakening of
conscience for the betterment of humankind."
May all beings act for the welfare of others
Alan Clements
"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple
of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of
energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the
mightiest walls of oppression..."
Robert
Kennedy
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Thirty Articles of Freedom
Article   1:     We are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
Article   2:     We are entitled to freedom without discrimination.
Article   3:     We have the right to life, liberty and security.
Article   4:     No one shall be a slave or held in servitude.
Article   5:     No one shall be tortured.
Article   6:     We have the right to recognition before the law.
Article   7:     We are entitled to equal protection by the law.
Article   8:     We have the right to legally challenge
                        acts violating our rights.
Article   9:     No one shall be arbitrarily arrested, detained or
exiled.
Article 10:     We are entitled to a fair and public hearing.
Article 11:     We are innocent until proven guilty.
Article 12:     No one shall be subjected to interference of his
privacy,
                       Nor attacks upon his honor and reputation.
Article 13:      We have the right to freedom of movement.
Article 14:     We can seek in other countries asylum from persecution.
Article 15:     We have the right to a nationality.
Article 16:     We have the right to marry and found a family.
Article 17:     We have the right to own property,
                        nor shall it be arbitrarily taken.
Article 18:     We have the right to freedom of thought,
                        conscience and religion.
Article 19:     We have the right to freedom of expression.
Article 20:     We have the right to peaceful assembly.
Article 21:     We have the right to take part in government
                        of our country.
Article 22:     We have the right to security, including economic,
                         social and cultural rights.
Article 23:     We have the right to work and receive fair compensation.
Article 24:     We have the right to rest and leisure.
Article 25:     We have the right to adequate food, clothing,
                         housing, medical care and social services.
Article 26:     We have the right to education.
Article 27:     We have the right to freely participate in culture
                        and the arts.
Article 28:     We have the right to live in a civilized society.
Article 29:     We have the right to participate in community.
Article 30:     Nothing in this Declaration can be interpreted by
                         anyone in such a way that its aim is to destroy
                        the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

"When you live on the edge of the mountain, you see very far. You see
the abyss, but you see very far. And so, because never in human history
have people had more reasons to despair, and to give up on man, and God
and themselves, hope is now stronger than ever before."
Elie Wiesel
Clearly, there's no greater gift than the gift of freedom. As we enjoy
our freedom, let us do all that we can to elevate the freedom of others.
If so stirred, please take action. Send this broadcast of Spirit In
Action to friends, family and associates.
*************************WorldDharma News***********************
WorldDharma is an emerging non-sectarian community that bridges the
often separated realms of  spirituality, politics, human rights, art,
science, sex, service, ecology and activism.
Like World Music, WorldDharma is an experience created anew, again and
again, from the synergy of different truths, and not a standard, fixed
ideology to follow and or practice.
During our first month we have received numerous e-mails asking "how can
we get involved?" At this point, it's simple: we are inviting spiritual
seekers, activists, artists, writers, creators, musicians and
journalists, everyone really, who have interest in forming an open
non-sectarian community dedicated to a deeper, more full understanding
of the link between our 'inner' journey and engagement with the 'outer'
world through love, service and activism. Of course, visit our revised
Web site, subscribe to our newsletter and become a founding member.

We will have our first WorldDharma TeleForum at a date to be announced
in February, 2000. During this presentation Alan Clements will give a
short presentation on the role of consciousness in relation to freedom,
service and activism.  This will be followed by audience comments and
questions.
The WorldDharma TeleForum is a free service offered by WorldDharma. The
only cost to a participant is the actual long distance fee charged by
the telephone company to link with the WorldDharma TeleBridge number,
approx. 5 - 20 cents a minute. The access # will be listed in January's
Newsletter.
WorldDharma is located on the World Wide Web:
http://www.WorldDharma.com

Copyright 1999
Alan Clements @ WorldDharma.com
All rights  reserved