AI Appeal to ratify ICC's Statute (r)

Subject: Re: AI Appeal to ratify ICC's Statute

(AFP/Le Monde, translation EBN) Paris, The French will ratify "during
the second semester year 2000" the treaty concerning the internatinal
penal Court (CPI) , according to government spokesman Daniel Valliant.
French foreign affairs minister Herbert Vedrine (supporter of burmese
junta sic) presented to the conseil of ministers a legal proposition
(projet de loi) authorising ratification. Last june a first step had
been taken, with a revision of the constitution. In terms of the treaty
singed in Rome July 18 1998, the CPI will have the jurisdicitional
autority to judge crimes against humanity, crimes of genocide, of war
and aggression. The treaty will only be applicable once it has been
ratified by 6O countries; todayte, only five have signed it out of 120.
After ratification, France must then "adapt" its legislation "to
establish french juridictional competence and to organise the
cooperation between France and the Court", said Vaillant.