Information Sheet No.B-1201 (I)

MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
YANGON

Information  Sheet
No.B-1201 (I)                31st December 1999

(1) Secretary-2 Arrives Back from Lao PDR Visit

    A Myanmar goodwill delegation led by Secretary-2 of
the State Peace and Development Council Chief of the
Bureau of Special Operations Chief of Staff (Army)
Lt-Gen Tin Oo  arrived back Yangon by special flight
at Yangon International Airport on 30 December from
Vientiane after paying a goodwill visit to Lao
People's Democratic Republic at the invitation of
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence Lt-Gen
Choummaly Sayasone of Lao PDR. The goodwill delegation
led by Secretary-2  left Yangon on 27 December by
special flight and arrived at Wattay International
Airport in Vientiane at 1.20 pm local time on the same
day. The party led by Deputy Prime Minister and
Minister for Defence Lt-Gen Choummaly Sayasone,
Ambassador of Lao PDR to Myanmar, Ambassador of
Myanmar to Laos, Military Attache , embassy staff and
families welcomed the Myanmar goodwill delegation at
the airport.
Secretary-2 received Deputy Prime Minister Lt-Gen
Choummaly Sayasone at the State Guest House and they
held a meeting at the Prime Minister's Office. They
discussed the progress of national development
endeavours of both nations, efforts for further
strengthening the existing friendly bilateral
relations which has fine historical records and
cooperation in the global and regional peace,
stability and development tasks.

    Secretary-2 paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister of
Lao People's Democratic Republic Mr Sisavat
Keobounphanh at the latter's office. Secretary-2
expressed satisfaction in seeing the further
developments based on mutual understanding and
goodwill in the cordial relations between the two
nations and further progress in the bilateral friendly
relations and cooperation as a result of the exchanges
of goodwill visits of Heads of State of the two
nations. The Prime Minister discussed matters relating
to further strengthening of the mutual goodwill
relations and bilateral cooperation benefiting the
peoples of both nations. Deputy Prime Minister and
Minister for Defence Lt-Gen Choummaly Sayasone hosted
dinner in honour of Myanmar delegation Lane Xang Hotel
in Vientiane. On 28 December morning, goodwill
delegation called on Deputy Prime Minister and
Minister for Defence Lt-Gen Choummaly Sayasone and
party at the Ministry of Defence. The ministers who
were included in the delegation met with the
respective ministers of Lao PDR. They discussed
cooperation, rendering technical assistance to Laos
and implementation of small-scale dams in Laos, trade
cooperation and development and exchanges of visits of
entrepreneurs, promotion of bilateral anti-drug
activities of the two nations and upgrading of border
roads. Also bilateral religious relations in the
ancient times and plans to promote the relations at
present were being discussed.

    Myanmar delegation handed over four bronze Buddha
images and books on Tripitaka (Buddha's discourses) in
Pali and Myanmar donated by the State Peace and
Development Council to Lao PDR, in the precinct of
That Luang Pagoda in Vientiane in the afternoon. The
Secretary-2 paid a courtesy call on President of Lao
PDR Mr. Khamtay Siphandone at Ho Kham Presidential
Palace at 3.30 pm. They exchanged views on promotion
of friendly relations between the two countries. In
the evening, the families of Myanmar Embassy hosted
dinner in honour of the Secretary-2 and Myanmar
delegation at the residence of Myanmar Ambassador.

    The Secretary-2 and Myanmar delegation, together with
the Minister for Agriculture and Forestry of Lao PDR,
went to Pakse, Champasak Province, by special flight
on 29 December. On the same day the Secretary-2 and
party went to Mekong River Crossing Pakse Bridge
Project under construction at Pakse and they observed
1,380-metre-long bridge. Afterwards, Secretary-2 and
party then visited the surrounding areas of Khom
Phapheng Falls, preservation of forest and a village
on the site Mekong River near the border of Lao PDR.
They, then left Khom Phapheng waterfall for Wat Phgou
Temple in Champasak District by helicopter.
Secretary-2 made donations to Minister of Agriculture
and Forestry of Lao PDR for the renovation of Wat Phou
Temple and ancient buildings in the district.
Secretary-2 and party then went to Coffee plantation
in Paksong District by helicopter and inspected
production of coffee seeds and coffee plantation,
coffee plantation of local farmers and durian
plantation and left there by car for Champasak Palace
in Pakse. Secretary-2 and party left there by special
flight to Vientiane. They arrived back Yangon on 30
December.

(2) Minister for Foreign Affairs Back from PRC

    At the invitation of the Minister for Foreign Affairs
of the People's Republic of China Mr. Tang Jiaxuan,
Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Union of Myanmar
paid a goodwill visit to the People's Republic of
China from 21 December to 29 December and arrived back
Yangon on 30 December.  During the goodwill visit,
Foreign Minister U Win Aung paid courtesy calls on
Vice-President of the People's Republic of China Mr.
Hu Jingtao and Vice Premier of the State Council Mr.
Wu Bangguo. The Minister met and discussed with
Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Tang Jiaxuan,
Minister for Agriculture Mr. Qin Yaobang and Deputy
Minister for Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation
Mr. Chen Xea Hua matters of mutural interest
concerning promotion of bilateral friendship and
cooperation, enhancement of cooperation in the areas
of economic, investment, science and technology.

    The discussions focused mainly on production of
agricultural bybrids, development of agricultural
research facilities, exchange of expertise,
construction of hydro-electricity plants and other
industrial projects which are being implemented under
bilateral economic cooperation. The Myanmar delegation
also visited Shanghai Pudong Economic Zone and
Shenzhen Industrial Zone and held discussions with
officials concerned of the Shanghai and Shenzhen
People's Governments. On his way to the People's
Republic of China, Minister stopped over at Kunming
and had discussions with Mr. Ki Jiating, Governor of
Yunnan Province. The Minister also stopped over at
Hong Kong on his return and met and had discussions
with Mr. Tung Chee Hwa Governor of the Hong Kong
Special Administrative Region on matters relating to
development of tourism and economic cooperation, and
on the possibility of increasing foreign investment in
Myanmar.

(3) 15 Insurgents Exchange Arms For Peace

    In November 1999 in the region of South-East Command,
platoon com mander of Karen National Union (KNU) De
Kyu Khar, and pvt Tin Win of All Burma Student
Democratic Front (ABSDF) Battalion 702, in the region
of North-East Command, sergeant Than Aye (a) Than Htoo
of Battalion 702 of ABSDF (North) Central, in the
region of Western Command, cpl Naing Oo (a) Tun Win of
Arakan Army (AA) armed group,  Maung Khin Win (a) Myo
Htet,L/cpl Than Naing (a) Tun Win, Kyaw Aye, pvt Maung
Aye Thein (a) Naing Lin Soe and Kya Hein (a) Thein
Maung, in the region of North-west Command, medical
in-charge sergeant Taing Pan AI and pvt Byat Ae of
Chin National Army (CNA) (Northern Region) armed
group, in the region of Coastal Region Command,
administrative officer of No.4 Brigade of KNU Phado
Saw Mya Maung, cadre Saw Gadon of Defence Organization
of KNU (D.O) Battalion No.7 and pvt Che Kale of
Battalion No.12 , and pvt Su Kan of Battalion No.10
exchanged arms for peace at the respective commands.
Officials of respective commands welcomed the 15
persons and attended to their needs.

(4) 79 Kilos of Emphedrine Seized in Mandalay

    A combined team comprising members of regional
intelligence unit and Myanmar Police Force seized
three bags of emphedrine weighing 79 kilos, which are
used in making stimulant tablets, at the backyard of
the house, in Chanmyathazi Township, Mandalay, on 14
December. Further investigation was followed by the
arrest of Kyin Za Wung, and Hsan Htaung Hnin, Gin Ko
Tun(a)Tun Pu, and Daw Kyin Lan Wun of Channayethazan
Township. Action is being taken against these four
persons according to Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances Law.

                                    Special Feature

    This office is presenting an article entitled " Do
You Really Have Amity ? " written by Dr. Mya Mya Win
which appeared in New Light of Myanmar (Volume VII,
Number 257 of 31 December 1999) for your reading
pleasure. (Continuation of yesterday)

                              Do you Really Have Amity?

    At the inauguration ceremony of the Mahasantisukha
Buddhist Missionary  Centre, Patron of the Committee
for Organizing the Opening Ceremony of the Centre
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt supplicated on religious matters. In his
supplications, the Secretary-1 said '' It is learnt
that the sasana split into two sects, Mahayana
Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism, when years passed
after the noble demise of the Buddha. Mahayana
Buddhism is flourishing in China, Korea and Japan
ect., and Theravada Buddhism in Myanmar, Sri Lanka,
Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. '' As for me, living in
both countries, Myanmar and Japan, compared the
differences of the two sects without having in mind
the attitude - which one is better and more correct.

    In Myanmar we not only give due respects to and have
sympathy for our parents but also for all the aged
persons. I have read in the treatise that when Bodisat
was in the life of the parrot king, he had to pick up
grains with his beak to gather food for his old
parents (as a means to repay the debt of gratitude )
and to feed his children (as a means to disburse new
loans). We can find many persons in the entire nation
who are looking after and providing financial
assistance to their old parents.
    But in Japan, the persons who are looking after their
aged parents are very rare. Let it be if it is said
that they (the old parents) do not need financial
assistance as they are living on their pension, but
they will surely need attendance at the old age and
dying moments. With the belief that the special care
must be given to the children as they are the ones who
will build and defend the nation in the future ,
Japanese are looking after their children with utmost
care and attention (the work of disbursing new loans).
With the thought that the aged persons are no more
useful, they are starting to call the elderly persons
'' Sodiagomi'' (garbage that is difficult discard).
The Japanese government which is taking the
responsibility of the aged persons is giving special
attention to the tasks of solving the problems
concerning the elderly persons who are called
Lojinmondai in Japanese.
    In Japan, once every year, the 15th of September is
observed as '' the Day of Grand- parents''. With the
meaning that becoming aged is, auspicious
Omedetogozaimasu festivals are being held on that day.
It cannot be said that the remaining 364 days are the
same as that day. The aged also choose and make
preparations to stay at the homes for the aged or
hospitals which look after the disabled or those who
are not able to look after themselves. But the elderly
persons never have such sad feelings that they are
being cruelly neglected or that their children are not
worthy for them. As Japan is a very busy country, the
old parents with immense metta solve their own
problems by choosing a suitable place for them, making
a determination that they are not going to give any
trouble or anxiety to their children who are very busy
with their work round the clock.

    I began to understand that the way of living differed
as they are based on the religion. I often gave talks
in Japan at various places. Sometimes my talks were
participated by a large number of aged persons. Based
on a Japanese folklore, I always told a story to the
aged persons.

    The story was as follows:

    Once upon a time, there was a hill called the place
where old parents were discarded. One day a man who
was 30 years old put his over 60-year-old father in a
basket and discarded him at the hill. The man's
10-year-old son accompanied him to the hill. After
discarding his old father, the man and his son
returned. On half way, the son said '' Father you have
forgotten the basket that you used in carrying
grandpa. Let's go back and take it.'' The man told his
son '' That basket is no more useful. We don't need to
take it back home. Let's continue our journey home.''
Then the son said ''  For you, this basket is no more
useful. But for me it is still useful. Because I have
to use it to discard you. '' The grandpas and grandmas
were tearful after they had listened to my story. They
told me '' We want our children to hear such stories.
If you come to our towns next time to tell this story,
we will send our children to you to listen to your
story.''
    At the meetings participated by a large number of
youths, I rarely gave such kind of talks. I showed
them the pictures of pagodas in Myanmar, telling them
the traditions and culture of Myanmar. I usually
concluded my talks, urging them to visit Myanmar.
Expressing the feelings of Myanmar people in
requesting assistance and investments was the main
item in my talks. Japan is included in the list of the
developed countries of the world. I thought that there
was no sufferings in Japan which is gaining material
development rapidly. But every year the number of
suicides in Japan is not few. I had heard that the
suicidal rate in Japan was three times more than that
of the previous year. Is it because of their failure
to find a place for mental refuge ? Following the
teachings of Buddha, we in Myanmar are always able to
find a place for mental refuge. I began to understand
that Mahasantisukha Buddhist Missionary Centre has
emerged to disseminate the invaluable Theravada
Buddhism in every part of the world. I really love the
traditions of Myanmar-giving due respects to the aged,
looking after and providing financial assistance to
parents and boldly facing the sufferings of the
mundane world.

TO ALL OUR READERS

WE WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW MILLENNIUM!