REPOSTING : Diary of My Travels In

Subject: REPOSTING : Diary of My Travels In Myanmar  ( English Translation )

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF5525.D19F6B60

Diary of My Travels In Myanmar  ( English Translation )

Win Naing, Ph.D

September 21,1998

I, Win Naing completed all procedures for relinquishing the refugee status
granted to me by the Government of Japan at the beginning of the Month of
August, 1998. Soon after having had my Myanmar passport restored to me I
returned to my mother land on 19 August for a brief sojourn. On 20 September
I departed Myanmar for Japan.  While in Myanmar, (from 20 August to 19
September) I was given the opportunity to travel to all parts of my country
and met my countrymen from all strata and was able to speak freely with them
with absolutely no let or hindrance. So I would like to recount to you
objectively without prejudice or bias, the actual conditions that now
prevail in the country. I believe that this diary of events during my
journeys to various parts of Myanmar will be of great help to those within
and without the country who are interested in Myanmar's affairs.

(A)  The Myanmar Government's political outlook stance, and principal
endeavors

(1)  The Myanmar Government in reviewing and assessing Myanmar's affairs
consistently takes into consideration the state of world affairs and
indubitably makes a comparative study. (For example- the political power
struggle between the nations of the western bloc and the Republic of China.
The desire of Asian nations to escape from western hegemony) (2)  If only
the National League for Democracy (NLD) should relax it's present rigid
stand and be more flexible, the present Myanmar Government is fully ready
and willing to work together with the NLD for the good of the country. But
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's extreme predisposition to depend on the western bloc
and her unwarranted appeal to the west for unnecessary support is totally
unacceptable to the Government. The Government's position is that the
Myanmar people themselves should solve their internal problems with mutual
understanding, confidence and respect for one another. This is the basic
position of the Myanmar Government. (3)  I was very much moved when I
learned that the leaders of Myanmar had resolved **to unhesitatingly
sacrifice their lives for the welfare and progress of the country and the
people ... to prevent the disintegration of the Union ... and to give their
full protection.** I have come away fully convinced that they will not be
swerved from this resolve. I have learned that among the top-ranking leaders
of the Myanmar Government, the Secretary 1, Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt
has the greatest approval and support of the people. " He is someone who
works from dawn's early light till late into the night. Not only does he
himself work thus, all his staff are also made to work in like manner ..."
is an excerpt I read about Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt in a Japanese
magazine. This statement, I found to be an accurate and true description
during my stay in Myanmar. (4)  I also came to know personally that the
Myanmar Government values highly, the peace accord achieved with the 17armed
national groups. (I had the chance to meet and speak with the leaders of
these armed national groups. I was told by these leaders that their people
in the respective regions seemed to appreciate and value the peace that now
prevails much more than they themselves did. That was why, they told me with
great emphasis and sincerity, that any thought of destroying the peace
achieved had not occurred to them no matter who tried to tempt and lure
them.) (5)  I have also seen that the present Government, have without any
kind of assistance from other countries, carried out drug control measures
with only its own resources up to last year.

(B) The Economic situation in Myanmar.

(1)  Up to last year ( i.e. the 1996-97 Financial Year) I learnt that
Myanmar's economy had improved year by year and that each year it had
exceeded the targeted GDP growth of 5%. But due to the Asian currency crisis
and the ensuing currency devaluation, foreign investments in Myanmar fell
53%. However, the currency devaluation has had very little repercussions on
the domestic economy in comparison to other Asian countries. (2)  The volume
of border trade with Thailand and China respectively has, year by year,
become stronger and more established. So even if the western nations should
decide to impose a hundred per cent economic sanctions, it is my opinion
that as long as there is a flourishing  border trade, these economic
sanctions would not be effective. (3)  In the agriculture sector,
especially where rice production  is concerned, the  Government is making
every endeavour to grow two to three crops a year. From my  own personal
observation I can say with assurance that the rumour which says that there
is only 3 month's reserve of rice / paddy supplies for local consumption is
unfounded. (4)  I also learnt that the Myanmar Government has laid down
long-term projects to increase domestic production of goods and also reduce
state expenditure by 40% in efforts to overcome the economic crisis that
Asia is now facing.

(C) The Current Infrastructure Situation in Myanmar.

(1)  The Government is giving priority to improving and expanding road
communications. In comparison to the previous 5 years, the mileage of roads
for motor traffic has increased enormously. However, the material condition
of the roads are not yet up to the standards of the roads in the prefectures
of Japan. The highways on the other hand are good enough for vehicles to
drive at a speed of 70 kilometers an hour. (2) Water for irrigation is
distributed to farmers almost free of change. With regard to daily drinking
water country wide, supply cannot as yet meet demand. (3)  Electrical power
supply at present is inadequate and has to be rationed and distributed in
turn to the various wards in the townships. It is said that the power
shortage situation became worse within this year.

(D) Freedom of the Media.

(1)  The Myanmar language newspapers, the Myanma  Alin, the Kyemon and the
English language New Light of Myanmar are the three daily newspapers which
are under the control of the Government. But there are representative
foreign news agencies and a Foreign Correspondents'  Club whose members
enjoy nearly as much freedom as those in Japan in their journalistic
pursuits. Myanmar political new transmitted daily to international circles
and via the internet are mostly undertaken by these foreign correspondents
(Kyodo, AFP, Reuters, AP etc:) who are free to write their own news
articles.

(E)  The Desires of Ordinary Myanmar Citizens and Their General Outlook.

(1)  Who so ever should govern the country they will recognize as the
Government (in power) ..... is a view subscribed to by most Myanmar citizens
especially in the rural areas. (2)  What the Myanmar people desire most is
to live their daily lives and earn their livelihood in peace more so than to
talk about human rights, democracy. What the ordinary citizen desires most
is to prevent another outbreak of political violence and unrest in the
country (especially anarchic conditions as in 1988) (3)  " Compared to
former times the country has made vast strides in development." is the
generally accepted view of most citizens. (4)  All Myanmar citizens share a
common desire for a reduction in the cost of living and an adequate supply
electrical power. (Democracy and human rights are not what they desire). (5)
Myanmar parents are all very anxious about their children's' education. They
yearn for the reopening of the institutes of learning and the students
themselves wish fervently to continue their studies in peace ..as I learnt
during my stay in Myanmar.  (The Myanmar Government with a view towards the
possible reopening of schools conducted final examinations in August. I also
learned that arrangements are underway to facilitate the opening of the
various colleges and institutes. But there is one obstacle preventing the
reopening of higher education institutes. This, I found out was due to the
activities of the opposition groups within the country who are just waiting
for the schools to reopen so that they can exploit and use the students in
their subversive activities against the Government.)

(F) The People's View Regarding the NLD.

(1)  The people still have personal affection and regard for Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi as General Aung San's daughter. But respect and confidence in her as
a politician and for the NLD as a political party are not as high as it was
formerly (as for example in 1990). (2) During my sojourn in Myanmar I learnt
that many Myanmar people were of the view that if only the NLD (and
particularly Daw Aung San Suu Kyi) would pursue a more moderate and flexible
policy, peace and prosperity could be achieved in the future.

(G) Conclusion

I, Win Naing, returned temporarily to Myanmar with a firm resolve to
contribute in any way I can towards the endeavors of the Myanmar Government
to bring about change and development for the future welfare of the country.
Furthermore I was also prompted by my considered view that the NLD should
pursue a more flexible and less rigid course in its relations with the
Government. My colleagues of the past are now criticizing my acts as being
traitorous and have also dubbed me a traitor. It does not matter. Even
before my return to Myanmar I genuinely believed that my chosen course of
action was right. When I arrived back in Myanmar, I became more convinced
that my action was right. It is only natural for different people to have
different points of view. But just because personal views and policies
differ one should not regard each other as enemies. There need not
necessarily be enmity and confrontation. My belief that problems and
differences can be resolved if discussions and talks be held on the basis of
mutual respect and confidence, has been further strengthened after my return
to Myanmar. To all those in and outside of Japan who are interested in
Myanmar affairs, all I wish to say now is " Go to Myanmar at least once to
see for your selves." Only then will they under stand better how to resolve
Myanmar's issues and get a clearer understanding of what the Myanmar people
really want.

End.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF5525.D19F6B60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DcsISO2022JP" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Diary of My Travels In Myanmar&nbsp; =
( English=20
Translation )<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Win Naing, Ph.D</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>September 21,1998 <BR>&nbsp;<BR>I, =
Win Naing=20
completed all procedures for relinquishing the refugee status granted to =
me by=20
the Government of Japan at the beginning of the Month of August, 1998. =
Soon=20
after having had my Myanmar passport restored to me I returned to my =
mother land=20
on 19 August for a brief sojourn. On 20 September I departed Myanmar for =

Japan.&nbsp; While in Myanmar, (from 20 August to 19 September) I was =
given the=20
opportunity to travel to all parts of my country and met my countrymen =
from all=20
strata and was able to speak freely with them with absolutely no let or=20
hindrance. So I would like to recount to you objectively without =
prejudice or=20
bias, the actual conditions that now prevail in the country. I believe =
that this=20
diary of events during my journeys to various parts of Myanmar will be =
of great=20
help to those within and without the country who are interested in =
Myanmar's=20
affairs.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(A)&nbsp; The Myanmar Government's political =
outlook=20
stance, and principal&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
endeavors<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp;=20
The Myanmar Government in reviewing and assessing Myanmar's affairs =
consistently=20
takes into consideration the state of world affairs and indubitably =
makes a=20
comparative study. (For example- the political power struggle between =
the=20
nations of the western bloc and the Republic of China. The desire of =
Asian=20
nations to escape from western hegemony) (2)&nbsp; If only the National =
League=20
for Democracy (NLD) should relax it's present rigid stand and be more =
flexible,=20
the present Myanmar Government is fully ready and willing to work =
together with=20
the NLD for the good of the country. But Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's extreme=20
predisposition to depend on the western bloc and her unwarranted appeal =
to the=20
west for unnecessary support is totally unacceptable to the Government. =
The=20
Government's position is that the Myanmar people themselves should solve =
their=20
internal problems with mutual understanding, confidence and respect for =
one=20
another. This is the basic position of the Myanmar Government. (3)&nbsp; =
I was=20
very much moved when I learned that the leaders of Myanmar had resolved =
**to=20
unhesitatingly sacrifice their lives for the welfare and progress of the =
country=20
and the people ... to prevent the disintegration of the Union ... and to =
give=20
their full protection.** I have come away fully convinced that they will =
not be=20
swerved from this resolve. I have learned that among the top-ranking =
leaders of=20
the Myanmar Government, the Secretary 1, Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt =
has the=20
greatest approval and support of the people. &quot; He is someone who =
works from=20
dawn's early light till late into the night. Not only does he himself =
work thus,=20
all his staff are also made to work in like manner ...&quot; is an =
excerpt I=20
read about Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt in a Japanese magazine. This =
statement,=20
I found to be an accurate and true description during my stay in =
Myanmar.=20
(4)&nbsp; I also came to know personally that the Myanmar Government =
values=20
highly, the peace accord achieved with the 17armed national groups. (I =
had the=20
chance to meet and speak with the leaders of these armed national =
groups. I was=20
told by these leaders that their people in the respective regions seemed =
to=20
appreciate and value the peace that now prevails much more than they =
themselves=20
did. That was why, they told me with great emphasis and sincerity, that =
any=20
thought of destroying the peace achieved had not occurred to them no =
matter who=20
tried to tempt and lure them.) (5)&nbsp; I have also seen that the =
present=20
Government, have without any kind of assistance from other countries, =
carried=20
out drug control measures with only its own resources up to last=20
year.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(B) The Economic situation in =
Myanmar.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp;=20
Up to last year ( i.e. the 1996-97 Financial Year) I learnt that =
Myanmar's=20
economy had improved year by year and that each year it had exceeded the =

targeted GDP growth of 5%. But due to the Asian currency crisis and the =
ensuing=20
currency devaluation, foreign investments in Myanmar fell 53%. However, =
the=20
currency devaluation has had very little repercussions on the domestic =
economy=20
in comparison to other Asian countries. (2)&nbsp; The volume of border =
trade=20
with Thailand and China respectively has, year by year, become stronger =
and more=20
established. So even if the western nations should decide to impose a =
hundred=20
per cent economic sanctions, it is my opinion that as long as there is a =

flourishing&nbsp; border trade, these economic sanctions would not be =
effective.=20
(3)&nbsp; In the agriculture sector,&nbsp; especially where rice=20
production&nbsp; is concerned, the&nbsp; Government is making every =
endeavour to=20
grow two to three crops a year. From my&nbsp; own personal observation I =
can say=20
with assurance that the rumour which says that there is only 3 month's =
reserve=20
of rice / paddy supplies for local consumption is&nbsp; unfounded. =
(4)&nbsp; I=20
also learnt that the Myanmar Government has laid down long-term projects =
to=20
increase domestic production of goods and also reduce state expenditure =
by 40%=20
in efforts to overcome the economic crisis that Asia is now facing.=20
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(C) The Current Infrastructure Situation in=20
Myanmar.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp; The Government is giving priority to =
improving=20
and expanding road communications. In comparison to the previous 5 =
years, the=20
mileage of roads for motor traffic has increased enormously. However, =
the=20
material condition of the roads are not yet up to the standards of the =
roads in=20
the prefectures of Japan. The highways on the other hand are good enough =
for=20
vehicles to drive at a speed of 70 kilometers an hour. (2) Water for =
irrigation=20
is distributed to farmers almost free of change. With regard to daily =
drinking=20
water country wide, supply cannot as yet meet demand. (3)&nbsp; =
Electrical power=20
supply at present is inadequate and has to be rationed and distributed =
in turn=20
to the various wards in the townships. It is said that the power =
shortage=20
situation became worse within this year.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(D) Freedom of the =

Media.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp; The Myanmar language newspapers, the =
Myanma&nbsp;=20
Alin, the Kyemon and the English language New Light of Myanmar are the =
three=20
daily newspapers which are under the control of the Government. But =
there are=20
representative foreign news agencies and a Foreign Correspondents'&nbsp; =
Club=20
whose members enjoy nearly as much freedom as those in Japan in their=20
journalistic pursuits. Myanmar political new transmitted daily to =
international=20
circles and via the internet are mostly undertaken by these foreign=20
correspondents (Kyodo, AFP, Reuters, AP etc:) who are free to write =
their own=20
news articles.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(E)&nbsp; The Desires of Ordinary =
Myanmar=20
Citizens and Their General Outlook.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp; Who so ever =
should=20
govern the country they will recognize as the Government (in power) =
 ..... is a=20
view subscribed to by most Myanmar citizens especially in the rural =
areas.=20
(2)&nbsp; What the Myanmar people desire most is to live their daily =
lives and=20
earn their livelihood in peace more so than to talk about human rights,=20
democracy. What the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent another =
outbreak=20
of political violence and unrest in the country (especially anarchic =
conditions=20
as in 1988) (3)&nbsp; &quot; Compared to former times the country has =
made vast=20
strides in development.&quot; is the generally accepted view of most =
citizens.=20
(4)&nbsp; All Myanmar citizens share a common desire for a reduction in =
the cost=20
of living and an adequate supply electrical power. (Democracy and human =
rights=20
are not what they desire). (5)&nbsp; Myanmar parents are all very =
anxious about=20
their children's' education. They yearn for the reopening of the =
institutes of=20
learning and the students themselves wish fervently to continue their =
studies in=20
peace ..as I learnt during my stay in Myanmar.&nbsp; (The Myanmar =
Government=20
with a view towards the possible reopening of schools conducted final=20
examinations in August. I also learned that arrangements are underway to =

facilitate the opening of the various colleges and institutes. But there =
is one=20
obstacle preventing the reopening of higher education institutes. This, =
I found=20
out was due to the activities of the opposition groups within the =
country who=20
are just waiting for the schools to reopen so that they can exploit and =
use the=20
students in their subversive activities against the=20
Government.)<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(F) The People's View Regarding the=20
NLD.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(1)&nbsp; The people still have personal affection and =
regard=20
for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as General Aung San's daughter. But respect and =

confidence in her as a politician and for the NLD as a political party =
are not=20
as high as it was formerly (as for example in 1990). (2) During my =
sojourn in=20
Myanmar I learnt that many Myanmar people were of the view that if only =
the NLD=20
(and particularly Daw Aung San Suu Kyi) would pursue a more moderate and =

flexible policy, peace and prosperity could be achieved in the=20
future.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>(G) Conclusion<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I, Win Naing, returned=20
temporarily to Myanmar with a firm resolve to contribute in any way I =
can=20
towards the endeavors of the Myanmar Government to bring about change =
and=20
development for the future welfare of the country. Furthermore I was =
also=20
prompted by my considered view that the NLD should pursue a more =
flexible and=20
less rigid course in its relations with the Government. My colleagues of =
the=20
past are now criticizing my acts as being traitorous and have also =
dubbed me a=20
traitor. It does not matter. Even before my return to Myanmar I =
genuinely=20
believed that my chosen course of action was right. When I arrived back =
in=20
Myanmar, I became more convinced that my action was right. It is only =
natural=20
for different people to have different points of view. But just because =
personal=20
views and policies differ one should not regard each other as enemies. =
There=20
need not necessarily be enmity and confrontation. My belief that =
problems and=20
differences can be resolved if discussions and talks be held on the =
basis of=20
mutual respect and confidence, has been further strengthened after my =
return to=20
Myanmar. To all those in and outside of Japan who are interested in =
Myanmar=20
affairs, all I wish to say now is &quot; Go to Myanmar at least once to =
see for=20
your selves.&quot; Only then will they under stand better how to resolve =

Myanmar's issues and get a clearer understanding of what the Myanmar =
people=20
really=20
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF5525.D19F6B60--