Question on BURMANET DISCUSSION LIS

Subject: Question on BURMANET DISCUSSION LIST

TUE 4-JAN-2000; 11:00PM

DEAR IGC SUPPORT PEOPLE:

Since late last year, the users of the Burmanet Discussion list
(burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx) have been informed that all lists on IGC would
be hosted by TOPICA.COM. As we understand, all user-addresses of that
discussion list, "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx", were, in mandatory fashion,
moved to "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx". We are also assuming that the old
Service Provider, "igc.apc.org", has been closed down.

As of recent, Natasha from IGC.TOPICA.COM advised us that we have been
removed from burmanet-l. To our surprise, and IS A PLEASANT ONE AT THAT,
the old Burmanet discussion list "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" appears to be
still  operating. Recent announcement by BurmaNet Editor
<strider@xxxxxxx> to close down "burmanet-l" discusson list also doesn't
help relieve our confusion on this matter. Therefore, any knowledgeable
person/persons should please advise us on the following matters:

1) Had the user list from "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" ever been moved to
"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" last year ?

2) As we understand, "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" list had been abandoned
by the BurmaNet editor,<strider@xxxxxxx>. Apparently,
"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" is still in operation and, therefore, who is
managing that list ? Will that discussion list,
"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx",  continue to provide its service in a
foreseeable future ?

All people, please understand that the BurmaNet News organised by
Strder@xxxxxxx is one of the earliest and is very valuable asset to the
Burma's activist community (I am personally grateful for his
contributions-- hope he continue helping us). However, the free
discussion list "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx", has also been very important
in its contribution to date. All activists who participate on that free
discussion list have rights to send and receive information on equal
basis. Therefore, the activists from border camps to cities around the
world can efficiently communicate and organise actions. Such e-mail list
also create a sense of community and encourage participations.

I am aware that some users abused Strider in recent weeks over matters
relating with ncgub/ftub performance.[I do think the attack is
unwarranted.] Whilst this might have caused Strider to abandon
"burmanet-l@" list, the arrangement for 3-free-list have been just right
with current traffic. Taken out one list will cause much stress on the
remaining two lists.

The other lists: Burmanet2-l,is organised by Coban Tun and Maykha-l
is hosted by Indiana university. However, I believe that
"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" is the most used and publicised list to date.
No one should try to confuse the users about "burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx";
and if any public discussion list is to be closed down, a grace period
should be allowed to make a smooth transition. In our experience, 3/4
month is enough to make transition to other lists or to mobilise a new
list.

And those all our users of the free-lists (especially the Burmese), it
is important to show good net-etiquette when criticizing people on the
list. We should never take things for granted, even in using a mailing
list. The list owners, on the other hand, could become personally
possessive about their own lists and should any action be taken, that is
understandable. But the list-owners' action should not impede or
obstruct the existing exchange of information between net users.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.