REPOSTING : ..... Press Conference,

Subject: Re: REPOSTING : ..... Press Conference,Tokyo,Japan

There are a few questions that I would like to put to Dr. Aung Naing

"Dr. Win Naing" wrote:
Part 1.

But I would like to publicly announce at this point in time, that I have
completed all official procedures to legally relinquish my status as a
political refugee. This is also the first time in the history of Japan
for a person already granted refugee status to voluntarily surrender it.

# After going through the arduous process of attaining "refugee status"
what was it that brought about your change of heart?

2.  If two opposing sides continue to confront each other over " which
is  white and which is black or which is right and which is wrong" then
it would be the people who would really suffer.
Were not the people suffering before 1988? and 1990?

I proposed that if the present Government would guarantee liberty for
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and  democratization, then similar assurance would
be given for the allotment of a certain number of seats in parliament
for the military.

# You do not mention the number of seats for the military.  How many
seat do you propose?  How many seats do they want? And why?
# Why not let the military stand for elections just like every other
politician?  If they were truly popular, people would vote for them.

I also stated that the present economic policies of the Government
should be maintained and continued.
# Why? Does SPDC hav a track record of economic successes?

" the material and spiritual happiness and well being of each and every
citizen and for the future development and progress of Myanmar."
# Look at Indonesia with the Military's assured presence in parliament.
Without freedom people are not happy and do not grow.  The coercive
capability together with political power make military leaders very
dangerous figures no matter how good their intentions are.

3.  It is my considered view that the present Myanmar government having
made a thorough study and appraisal of the diverse circumstances, has
been assiduously making every effort for the future progress of Myanmar
despite the fact that it has been beset with many difficulties.
# Besides your considered view being in a minority outside of Burma, the
rest of the above statement is pure reification.  Just because you say
it does not make it true!  Where is the evidence to support it?

" The fact that it made all endeavours to gain entry to the ASEAN, which
is an international organization, is in my opinion, proof that there has
been a change within the Government, and that it now has the will to
change
# Is not ASEAN a regional organistion?  One which is purely interested
in
commerce? The reputations of the governments that constitute the
membership being questionable? Like Suharto? Like Mahathia? Like the
Military influence and corruption in Thailand?

 I also understand and accept the fact that though the Government has
been directing its efforts towards change, much more needs to be done,
and still further improvements to be made for our Motherland, Myanmar.
# This is not what the UN and EU and US reports state.  You will have to
do better that simply state an "understanding".

4.  With regard to the Myanmar Government which has begun to initiate
change * * * , in fact , the Myanmar Government that is making great
efforts to change, there are two options open.
1)  To deplore and criticize it for failing to make adequate  changes.
2)  To take a constructive stand and render assistance as far as
possible to do what still needs to be done to bring
    about further changes.
So far as I am concerned, in accordance with the position I have adopted
as stated in paragraph 2 of this Declaration, * * I have chosen the
second option to take a constructive stand and give every possible
assistance.
# You have to understand that your unstated relationship with SPDC is
a concern. It would be useful to all of us if you were to elaborate on
this.

5.  There is a saying that the other person is simply a mirror image of
one's own self, in much the same way that your reflection in the mirror
will smile back only if you smile at it.  So also, if the opposition
factions, in the interest of the future welfare of Myanmar, should
pursue a more flexible approach (instead of persisting in confrontation
with the Government), I sincerely believe that the Myanmar Government in
turn will extend a warm welcome.
# Lets turn this around the other way.  If the SPDC gives government to
the NLD, which was duly elected, surely the NLD will treat them with
compassion and generosity.

On the basis of this conviction, I, (Win Naing), in the post-1996
period, requested the opposition groups to act in a more pliable
manner.  I, (Win Naing), who was once a leader of the opposition, have,
on my part, "taken action to suit my words" and have given concrete
proof of my faith in, and adherence to a flexible policy by
relinquishing the political refugee status I had gained from the
Japanese government.  I have also resolved to continue to abide by the
dictum that " the other person is
one's own mirror image" and persevere in my appeal to opposition groups
to pursue a more moderate line of action in the future interest of the
country and of the people.  I shall continue to urge them to give up
their uncompromising position, which calls for the government to accede
to all their demands.
# I would prefer to say that the other person was a reflection of my
shadow ( the less popular side of my nature).  I understand that the
uprising of 1988 and the vote for the NLD was non violent. People were
moderate. SLORC (which gave birth to SPDC) was not. Many continue to
adopt Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's philisophy of
non violence in their activities.  I would like to acknowledge all those
people.  What your proposal amounts to is "stop opposing the SPDC and
things will work out fine for everybody".  I wish things could be so
easily resolved.

6.  Some of my old comrades in the Government opposition movement have
often asked me the question - "  We believe that the results of the 1990
general elections should be adhered to and implemented, * * * What Win
Naing is your stand on this matter?  My view is that, * * * if
unyielding attempts to enforce the results of the elections should lead
to adverse effects on the
future of the country and the people in the long term, then we should
cease such action.  I believe that top priority should be given to doing
everything possible to fulfill conditions, necessary for the material
and spiritual well being of the individual citizen and for the progress
and advancement of the Myanmar nation.
The adverse effects on the future of the country can be attributed to
the military rule and their anti intellengentsia agenda.  Their lack of
competency in all areas of social and political and economic policy
making  has make Burma one of the poorest  countries.  In the meantime
the top brass are known to be living it up abroad.  Lets look into the
real reasons for the refusal to let NLD govern.

7.  The respective Myanmar and Japanese proverbs, " A person can be
moral only on a full stomach " and " No matter how large an army if food
supplies are cut off and the troops are hungry, then it can win no
battles. "  give lessons on human weakness in practical everyday life.
I, Win Naing, who is merely an ordinary man, have a deep respect for  "
human rights " and acknowledge their importance.  But viewed either from
the perspective of one man or from the collective perspective of the
country*s more than 45 million people, to live and to exist, " human
rights " is not necessarily the sole important factor. To fulfill the
food, clothing and shelter needs for each human being, * * * for each
citizen, " the economy ", I believe, is also a matter of great
importance.  On the basis of this belief, I have resolved to do my level
best to help in any way I can to increase " sound and honest economic
investments " for the " future prosperity and progress of Myanmar and
its people."

#	The economy is a construct of economist and politicians, the
proclaimed supremacy of which is used as an excuse to commit the most
heineous of crime all over the world. The global commercial community
finds it much more suitable to deal with a totalitarian regime in a
country like Burma, in order to exploit its natural resources and cheap
labour.  This is the new form of global slavery that is being practiced.
Ample literature is available to support this viewpoint, though the
publication of this information is very limited in the mainstream
press.
The wellbeingof citizens, every citizen, is of prime importance.  Where
human rights are abused, that society is diminished spiritually,
socially and eventually pays a very high price.

8. The responsibility for the future progress and well being of a
country lies not in the hands of the Government alone.  It is my firm
conviction that each citizen also has a share of responsibility.  So my
fervent wish at present, is to share in this responsibility in the
spirit of at least "  carrying a single brick or even a single grain of
sand " in building up my Motherland, Myanmar, into a prosperous and
developed nation.  I would further like to declare and reaffirm to all
here and now, that I shall, to the best of my ability, resolutely do my
duty for the future welfare of my country.

# There are many Burmese citizens of different nationalities who feel
very strongly that future progress and wellbeing of Burma lies in the
military taking up the role of the protector of people's democratic and
human rights and not as task masters and slave drivers.  They feel they
have a significant contribution to make to rebuild a safe, progressive
and prosperous country in which diversity is celebrated in all ways.

Trevor Edmond