: Re: Most mass media ignores Yang

Subject: :  Re: Most mass media ignores Yangon reality

For your information
SOURCE:  news-group:  soc.culture.burma

Date: 01/09/2000
Author: Ross Klatte <klatteross@xxxxxxx>

>From: kyansittha@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Sat, 08 January 2000 03:33 AM EST
>
>It seems Mr. Yamaguchi like many other Ambassadors from
>Asian countries to Burma have been bought by the junta.

The media, naturally, always try to describe complex
situations in black-and-white simplifications that are easy for
anyone to understand.  By this, I mean that they want the
readers/viewers to discern easily who the good guys are and
who the bad guys are.  They have no interest in whether the
readers/viewers correctly understand a gray situation.  This
is not dishonest--it is simply good journalism.  My Journalism
101 prof used to hammer at us, "Look for the Conflict!
Find your Angle!"

As for Yamaguchi or other diplomats being bought, I find that
hard to swallow.  It is perfectly natural for a person who has
spent a lot of time studying a country and living in that
country to understand the grayness of a situation a lot better
than the media do.  Very often such a person becomes an
apologist for that country once he is back in his own country.
All Yamaguchi is saying is, "Don't believe everything you
read in the newspapers."  Seems to me like good advice.

Ross
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/7185/

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar