Benjamin Kyar Oo (1938 - 2000)

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BF5C3B.A3F17740

Shan Herald Agency for News

No: 1 - 6

Benjamin Kyar Oo
(1938 - 2000)

He made different but favorable impressions to different people. The=20
Kachins regarded him as one of them. So did the Lahus and the Was, which =

was unsurprising because as he told me, he had the best blood of all the =

three races.

However, surprisingly, the Shans also considered him as one of them. He=20
had, on several occasions, spoken to the Shans in the interests of Lahus =

and Was, but to outsiders, he would present himself in the interests of =
the=20
Shan States, including Shans. Predictably, but less known, he also had a =

Shan name, Surh Khurh ("Tiger of the Nation").

"I never allow myself to forget that I am a native of the Shan States =
and=20
that the Prince of Kengtung, Sao Sailong, had supported me during my =
years=20
at the university", he said.

On 1 May 1994, he signed a Preliminary Agreement with the Shan State=20
Restoration Council in his capacity as Vice President-1 of the United Wa =

Narcotics and Development Organization. Part of the agreement reads:
"the SSRC acknowledges the special status of the Wa State in the Shan=20
State, advocates self rule of all ethnic groups including the Wa, and =
that=20
the future of the self administered areas shall be decided by the people =

themselves in referenda and plebiscites". (The agreement was approved by =

the Shan National Congress).

I always thought he was the most suitable person to represent the Shan=20
States, being a non-Shan native and possessing a broad-mindedness that =
most=20
Shans (and Burmese) could envy.

I was therefore stunned when the news of his unexpected death came. ("He =

shall be 62 on 18 February this year", his younger brother told me.)

So, farewell, my friend and brother. I'm sure you wouldn't have left us=20
suddenly without leaving someone like you behind.

Khuensai Jaiyen.

///END\\\
For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =

affiliated to any political or armed organization.=20

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BF5C3B.A3F17740

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial =
size=3D4><STRONG>Shan Herald=20
Agency for News</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>11 January =
2000<BR><BR>No: 1 -=20
6<BR><BR><FONT color=3D#800000 size=3D4><STRONG>Benjamin Kyar =
Oo<BR>(1938 -=20
2000)<BR><BR></STRONG></FONT>He made different but favorable impressions =
to=20
different people. The <BR>Kachins regarded him as one of them. So did =
the Lahus=20
and the Was, which <BR>was unsurprising because as he told me, he had =
the best=20
blood of all the <BR>three races.<BR><BR>However, surprisingly, the =
Shans also=20
considered him as one of them. He <BR>had, on several occasions, spoken =
to the=20
Shans in the interests of Lahus <BR>and Was, but to outsiders, he would =
present=20
himself in the interests of the <BR>Shan States, including Shans. =
Predictably,=20
but less known, he also had a <BR>Shan name, Surh Khurh ("Tiger of the=20
Nation").<BR><BR>"I never allow myself to forget that I am a native of =
the Shan=20
States and <BR>that the Prince of Kengtung, Sao Sailong, had supported =
me during=20
my years <BR>at the university", he said.<BR><BR>On 1 May 1994, he =
signed a=20
Preliminary Agreement with the Shan State <BR>Restoration Council in his =

capacity as Vice President-1 of the United Wa <BR>Narcotics and =
Development=20
Organization. Part of the agreement reads:<BR>"the SSRC acknowledges the =
special=20
status of the Wa State in the Shan <BR>State, advocates self rule of all =
ethnic=20
groups including the Wa, and that <BR>the future of the self =
administered areas=20
shall be decided by the people <BR>themselves in referenda and =
plebiscites".=20
(The agreement was approved by <BR>the Shan National Congress).<BR><BR>I =
always=20
thought he was the most suitable person to represent the Shan =
<BR>States, being=20
a non-Shan native and possessing a broad-mindedness that most <BR>Shans =
(and=20
Burmese) could envy.<BR><BR>I was therefore stunned when the news of his =

unexpected death came. ("He <BR>shall be 62 on 18 February this year", =
his=20
younger brother told me.)<BR><BR>So, farewell, my friend and brother. =
I'm sure=20
you wouldn't have left us <BR>suddenly without leaving someone like you=20
behind.<BR><BR><STRONG><FONT color=3D#800000 size=3D4>Khuensai=20
Jaiyen.<BR><BR></FONT></STRONG>///END\\\<BR>For further information, =
please=20
contact S.H.A.N. at:<BR>Shan Herald Agency for News.<BR>P.O. Box. 15, =
Nonghoi=20
P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand<BR>Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121<BR>e-mail: =
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><BR>S.H.A.=
N. is a=20
non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =
<BR>affiliated to any=20
political or armed organization. <BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BF5C3B.A3F17740--