[theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: Ma

Subject: [theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: May 19, 2000

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

May 19, 2000

Issue # 1534

This edition of The BurmaNet News is viewable online at:

http://theburmanetnews.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$404

NOTED IN PASSING:

"We have a couple kind of crazy rogue states like North Korea and
Burma, but they're marginal."

Mark Headley, Matthews International Funds (See CNN: INVESTMENT
OPPORTUNITIES IN ASIA)

*Inside Burma

DVB: MERGUI MONKS JOIN PROTEST, 29 DETAINED BY MILITARY INTELLIGENCE

NLM:  SECRETARY-L RECEIVES ADVISER TO THAI PM

MICB: CHURCH DEMOLISHED IN KAREN STATE

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT: AN UNHAPPY ANNIVERSARY

ABSDF: TWENTY-FIVE NLD MEMBERS ARRESTED AND SEVEN JAILED IN
TAUNGDWINGYI

*International

AFP: ILLEGAL WORKERS FROM MYANMAR DIE IN DEPORTATION

BURMA COURIER: TRADE UNIONS GEAR UP FOR CAMPAIGN ON WORKERS' RIGHTS

*Economy/Business

CNN: INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN ASIA

GOVT OF FRANCE: LETTER TO TOTAL RE BURMA FROM MIN FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS

*Other

SPDC: PRESS CONFERENCE ON ARREST OF NLD LA EXPATRIATE ABSCONDER

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

DVB: MERGUI MONKS JOIN PROTEST, 29 DETAINED BY MILITARY INTELLIGENCE

Translation by BBC Summary of World Broadcasts
May 18, 2000

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1245 gmt 16 May
00

Text of report by Burmese opposition radio on 16th May

Dear listeners. Monks from Mergui have been protesting peacefully
since 9th May and there have been reports that the SPDC [State Peace
and Development Council] Military Intelligence [MI] personnel have
been arresting them. DVB correspondent Myint Maung Maung filed this
report.

[Myint Maung Maung] Mandalay Sangha Thatmathi Association's
announcement and declaration on monks' unity have been receiving
tremendous support from the monks in Mergui. On 5th May, the monks in
Mergui decided to put the declaration into action by refusing to
attend religious functions outside their respective monasteries.
Monks from all Sartintaik monasteries and six other monasteries
simultaneously started the protests on 9th May.

Capt Nyunt Maung and party from MI-19 in Mergui District arrested 10
monks on 12th May for their refusal to beg for alms and to give
religious sermons outside their monasteries. Those arrested were from
Kanbwayathti Yadanabommi Pariyatti Sartintaik and
Naukleyathti Wettaikkyaung Sartintaik in Mergui.

With the 19 monks detained lately and the recent arrest of 10   more
monks, it has been learned that 29 monks have been detained so far by
the MI.

NLM:  SECRETARY-L RECEIVES ADVISER TO THAI PM

YANGON,17 May-Secretary-l of the State Peace and Development Council
Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt received the adviser to the Prime Minister of
Thailand Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri and party at the guest
house of Ministry of Defence this morning.

Also Present at the call were Minister for Foreign Affairs U Win
Aung, Director-General of ASEAN Affairs Department U Aye Lwin,
Director-General of Protocol Department Thura U Aung Htet and
Ambassador of Thailand to the Union of Myanmar Mr Pensak Chalarak.

MICB: CHURCH DEMOLISHED IN KAREN STATE

May, 18  ,2000

On January, 01, 2000, a church in Pa-an township, Karen state of
Burma was demolished by the officers of the ruling  State Peace and
Development Council(SPDC) and Democratic Karen Buddhist Army( DKBA).
According to a Karen trader, the officers, led by Lt.(Bo) Soe and Lt.
(Bo) Kya of DKBA, and a group of  forced labourers with them, entered
the village and ordered the group to destroy the church. The name of
the village where the church situated is Naung-ta-loon.

Muslim Information Centre of Burma (MICB)
P.  O. Box 85, Maesot, Tak  63110, Thailand: P. O. Box 96, Chiang mai
50000, Thailand.

US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT: AN UNHAPPY ANNIVERSARY

22.05.2000

By Thomas Omestad

Ten years ago this month, the people of Burma flocked to the polls to
elect a new, democratic parliament. It never got a chance to take
office. Surprised at the opposition's landslide victory, the ruling
military junta balked at ceding power. It has been all downhill for
Burma ever since.

Instead of joining the growing ranks of Asia's democracies, Burma
remains a repressive anachronism. Security forces have been stepping
up arrests of opposition activists. Some 1,300 political prisoners
languish in jail. A government-controlled newspaper suggested this
month that pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize
winner, could face the death penalty for alleged contacts with
outlawed rebel groups. The generals refuse even to talk with her.

And while the nearby Asian "tigers" are exporting their way to
prosperity, the average personal income in resource-rich Burma-also
known as Myanmar-has fallen to $300 a year. Universities, once
hotbeds of dissent, have been shut for nine of the past  12 years.
The Army uses forced labor, according to the United Nations. And
clashes with the ethnic Karen minority have pushed 100,000 refugees
into Thailand.

U.S.- and European-led sanctions have so far proved futile at getting
the regime to ease up. The European Union last month tightened its
penalties, and the Clinton administration plans to continue its own.
But cracks are appearing elsewhere: Japan, for one, may offer limited
economic aid. And Burma's Southeast Asian neighbors, which reject
sanctions, are pressing for a more conciliatory line.

As the May 27 election anniversary comes around, Suu Kyi's supporters-
in Burma and abroad-have little to celebrate. "It's very depressing,"
says one State Department official.

ABSDF: TWENTY-FIVE NLD MEMBERS ARRESTED AND SEVEN JAILED IN
TAUNGDWINGYI

[Abridged]

May 17, 2000

 On May 10, the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC)
authorities jailed 7   National League for Democracy (NLD) members,
including the Taungdwingyi township   NLD chairman, for attending a
NLD meeting in Taungdwingyi, Magwe Division, central   Burma.
Altogether 32 NLD members were arrested for attending this meeting.
They were   mostly young people and included two women.

  Following a local level NLD meeting held in Taungdwingyi township
on April 29, 32   NLD members including township's NLD chairman U Mya
Saing, were taken to the   headquarters of the locally-based Light
Infantry Battalion (LIB) No. 103 for   investigation. Seven of the 32
NLD members were charged and prosecuted by local   police and
sentenced to imprisonment at the Taungdwingyi court on May 10. On May
11,   all 32 arrested NLD members were transferred to Thayet Prison.
The remaining   uncharged 25 NLD members in detention are undergoing
further interrogation.

  The jailed NLD members were all charged under the 1950 Emergency
Provision Act   Section 5 (J) and sentenced to the maximum penalty of
7 years imprisonment with hard   labour. They include: U Mya Saing,
NLD (chairman), U Tin Win (secretary), U Sai San   (township level
organizer), U Ya Tin (village level organizer), U Htay Lwin (member),
U   Sein Maung (member) and Aung Kyaw Moe (NDL-Youth).

  The 1950 Emergency Provision Act Section 5 (J) is generally used
against acts  committed "with the aim to undermine the morality and
alter the behavior of the people,   or of a group of people, in order
to threaten national security and the restoration of law   and
order". The maximum penalty is seven years' imprisonment or a fine or
both.

__________________ INTERNATIONAL ___________________

AFP: ILLEGAL WORKERS FROM MYANMAR DIE IN DEPORTATION

   BANGKOK, May 19 (AFP) - At least 15 illegal workers from Myanmar
were killed in a road accident on Friday as Thai authorities
transported them to the border in a routine deportation, police said.

   The bus carrying 65 Myanmar workers to the border crossing at Mae
Sot, some 423 kilometers (262 miles) northwest of Bangkok, left the
road and plunged into a ravine.

   "It happened at 6:30 am (2330 GMT) while it was raining, making
the road slippery," said Mae Sot's immigration police commander,
Lieutenant Colonel Soraphol Phayungweeranoi.   Soraphol said officers
had so far reported 15 dead and more than 30 injured, but rescue
efforts in the 100-meter deep ravine were still taking place.

BURMA COURIER: TRADE UNIONS GEAR UP FOR CAMPAIGN ON WORKERS' RIGHTS

No. 230           Apr 30 - May 6, 2000

RANGOON -- The head of one of the world's largest trade unions marked
International Workers Day this week by denouncing the Burma's
military government for its malicious attack on worker freedom and
human rights.

In a letter to Burma's Head of State, General Than Shwe, United Auto
Workers' President Stephen Yokich said the international labour
movement could not sit idly by while fellow trade unionists and their
families in Burma were under the constant threat of violence, arrest,
or worse for exercising their right to organize unions and protect
workers rights.

Khin Kyaw, President of the All Burma Workers Union, is under
sentence of 17 years for his efforts in organizing workers in the
country and  Myo Aung Thant, Executive Officer of the Federation of
Trade Unions û Burma (FTUB), has been sentenced to life imprisonment
for his union activism.  Both reportedly have been beaten and
tortured, their families have been interrogated and threatened.  Aye
Ma Gyi, wife of Myo Aung Thant, is serving a 10-year jail sentence
for assisting her husband.  The couple has two young daughters.

The UAW president said the international labour movement has launched
a campaign, Labour Rights Now! to fight for the immediate and
unconditional release of the union activists and all other detained
workers in Burma. "We will continue to fight until brothers
Khin Kyaw, Myo Aung Thant and all other union detainees are freed,
and labour and human rights are respected in Burma," he said.

In his May Day message to workers in Burma, General Than Shwe warned
against attempts by "neo-colonialists" and others to tarnish the
country's image through false accusations.   Burma's military junta
is facing severe censure at a meeting of the International Labour
Organization later this month for its failure to comply with demands
that it clean up its record on the use of forced civilian labour for
public works projects and military portering.  Than Shwe's remarks
were not published in the English language edition of the state-
controlled New Light of Myanmar, which paid no attention at all to
the internationally celebrated workers' day.
The May Day edition of the privately published Myanmar Times didn't
figure it was worth a mention either, although the business section
of the new journal did point out that 'cheap labour' costs are one of
the few factors that make Myanmar competitive in selling its
manufactured goods on world markets.  In an article on the garment
trade in Burma, it quoted Hyung Joo Kim, manager of the recently
established Yangon Pan-Pacific International, a company in a Rangoon
suburb with over 2,000 employees: "There are several reasons to
choose Myanmar for investment, most important of those, perhaps, is
the relatively cheaper, abundant and well-qualified work force,"

Another article in MTBR's well-written business section quoted Daw
Mary Linn of the International Trade Promotion Department of the
Ministry of Commerce: "To manufacture value-added items for export,
we have nothing but labour and natural resources.  The failure of
local businessmen to adopt ethics is an issue we have to face."

______________ ECONOMY AND BUSINESS ___________________

CNN: INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN ASIA

Cable News Network Financial
SHOW: STREET SWEEP 16:00:00 pm ET
May 18, 2000; Thursday 4:46 pm Eastern
Time
GUESTS: Mark Headley

JAN HOPKINS, CNNfn ANCHOR, STREET SWEEP: Federal Reserve Chairman
Alan Greenspan today endorsing a new trade deal with China. Normal
trade relations with China may translate into a good investment
opportunity for U.S. investors. Joining us once again is Mark Headley
of Matthews International Funds. Welcome back, Mark.

MARK HEADLEY,   MATTHEWS INTERNATIONAL FUNDS: Thanks a lot.

HOPKINS: A lot of U.S. investors have gone into Chinese Internet
stocks. China.com and some of the other ones. Is that a good place to
be investing, or is that really tricky given the way China has
control over the Internet? HEADLEY: I think there's real problems
looking at what China's going to do. It's very hard to say how
they're going to deal with the issues. I think by and large they'll
be rational about. It's just so difficult to value these things and
you watch the prices swing around at light speed. To us it's a little
speculative at this point.

HOPKINS: So what would you be investing in? Telecom stocks? There are
a lot of phones that     are needed in China.

HEADLEY: Yeah. We find mobile phones pretty compelling. One our
largest holdings is China Telecom and it's now one of the largest
listed stocks in Asia outside of Japan. Almost $100 billion, and they
have about 17, 18 million subscribers looked up already. They're
already starting to deliver Internet services in some of the big
cities like Wong Jo over their cellular phones. And the demand is
just tremendous. Again it's an expensive stock at about 50
times          earnings, but the potential is huge.

HOPKINS: Now let me play devil's advocate for a moment. This is a
Communist country and the government does still control a lot of
things, and the government could kind of change the picture.
Nationalize, perhaps, companies. Why would you invest at all in
China? Why don't you just invest in U.S. companies that might do well
selling to China?

HEADLEY: You know, our belief is watch what they do more than what
they say and what we've seen is that the state sector in China and
obviously the Communist party still rules China, but we don't think
they're very Communist. You now have about 30 percent of the economy
in private sector, pure and simple, and only about 40 percent of it
is state sector, and the rest is agriculture and utilities and
whatnot. So China is becoming a very much a capitalist economy, and I
don't think the Communist party is anything but you know a fairly
autocratic regime, which I wouldn't compare it one to one with a
Singapore <Company: Singapore Telecommunications Ltd.; Ticker: SGTCY;
capitalist system, but they want to rule it. And frankly I don't
think they'll succeed in that in the long term, but right now the
Chinese people are very happy to go out there and make money and
start businesses and work with the outside world and I think the next
stage, as we've seen in Korea and Taiwan will be the demand to vote.
That may be 5, 10, 20 years down the
road.

DOUG CLIGGOTT, J.P. MORGAN: Mark, hi. It Doug Cliggott. Are there
other Asian economies that would stand to benefit sort of
disproportionately that would benefit more than  their neighbors from
more open trade with China?

HOPKINS: Can you can hear him, Mark?

HEADLEY: I'm afraid, I can't.

HOPKINS: He's asking if there are other Asian countries that might
benefit from trade with China.

HEADLEY: Absolutely. I think the more trade you see with China, the
more you're going to see products moving around the region. I think
Taiwan and Hong Kong are the most obvious beneficiaries. A lot of
business in China has been driven by Korea, Singapore, the other more
developed Asian countries investing in China, believing that it will
open. And I think China's opening is good for the Asian economic
region in general, especially as long as we have a Japan that remains
sort of dormant with so much potential, but so many troubles of their
own.

HOPKINS: Now what about all of the political machinations nations in
the region? Concerns about Taiwan. Concerns about U.S. defense
systems in the area. I mean, this is still a hot spot of   the world.

HEADLEY: Yeah, it is although it's been -- I've been following
politics in Asia since I was in college 20 years ago and everybody
always thought Korea would be the next war zone and North Korea
didn't say a lot, but South Koreans don't even pay any attention
anymore. I think that the likelihood of any sort of major conflict in
Asia is pretty low. By and large, most of these societies are geared
towards improving their standard of living. We have a couple kind of
crazy rogue states like North Korea and Burma, but they're marginal.
So by and large, I don't think politics is the important thing here.
I think seeing Asia continue to develop as a region and most
importantly seeing the rules and regulations of business practices
developing.

HOPKINS: Thanks very much. Mark Headley of the Matthews International
Fund.

GOVT OF FRANCE: LETTER TO TOTAL RE BURMA FROM MIN FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS

[Document provided by InfoBirmanie]

The Minister,
Ministry for Foreign Affairs,
Paris.

17th April 2000

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you regarding the political situation in Burma, a
country where your group has invested heavily.

As you know, the junta in power for many years carries out a policy
of repressing the democratic forces.  It refuses to take into account
the results of the last legislative elections held in 1990, and
labours to stifle all opposition.  The widespread disapproval
resulting from its practice of forced labour has now led the
International Labour Conference to suspend co-operation with that
country.

The attempts at persuasion that the international community has
pursued without respite have, to date, produced no effect.  It is in
this context that, on the 10th April this year, the European Union
deemed necessary to renew its joint stance on the question of Burma
and in certain respects to reinforce it.  Thus the export of all
equipment for internal repression and terrorism will be forbidden;
the list of persons who are forbidden visas will be extended and made
public; and the assets held abroad by those figuring on that list
will be frozen.  These various measures are a sign of the increasing
frustration of the international community at the immobility of the
powers in place in Rangoon.

Under the present conditions, it is obvious that your group will
continue to be subject to innumerable criticisms and to increasing
pressure to withdraw from Burma.  You have doubtless noted that the
British government has requested of the Premier Oil Company that it
withdraw from the country.  The French government, however, does not
believe in the effectiveness of economic sanctions which would have
as sole result to slow down a little bit more the opening to the
world of a country already too closed upon itself.

In these circumstances, I think that your group should continue to
practise a policy of frankness and should intensify yet more its
public relations with regard to its activities in Burma.  It would
seem to me equally interesting, for example, that initiatives be
taken by your group to support NGOs present in Burma whose activities
have public recognition.  In a more general manner, I believe that
everything that serves to associate your group's name with practical
activities aimed at bettering the living conditions of the people of
Burma, can only be favourable to the permanence of your investments.

I wanted to share these few thoughts with you and should be happy to
know your viewpoint on these matters.

Yours sincerely,
Hubert Vedrine