[myanmar] Opening of Airport in Man

I suspect that the construction of the new Mandalay airport is another
of the generals' attempts to acquire luck or magical power in their contest
with the Lady -- this time by possession of a large white elephant.

In Burma as in most South and South-east Asia, the white elephant is
traditionally regarded as semi-divine, and is treated with great veneration:
"The 'Lord White Elephant'- or Sinbyudaw- commanded social status second
only to the king in the hierarchy of the  royal court. Sinbyudaw were treated
with reverence and had white parasols held over them wherever they went.
Young white elephants were even suckled  by women in the royal court who
considered it a great honour to feed the  elephant with their own milk"
(Asiatours history of Myanmar http://209.207.203.249/burma/info/history.html )

While it is unlikely that the members of the State Peace and Development
Council
will literally emulate the ladies of the Burmese court,  we should not be
surprised to
read of senior officers walking round the airport, shading the runways with
white
umbrellas, or spraying them with milk from tankers ("borrowed" from local
entrepreneurs).

What is certain is that the new Mandalay Airport is the biggest and most
expensive
Burmese White Elephant of recent days, and is thus likely to bring good
fortune
to those responsible. The only problem is that the actual use of the airport by
tourists and other foreigners, arriving in wide-bodied jets and wearing shoes,
could well profane the site and thus reduce the benefit.  With this in
mind, the
military junta will no doubt do its utmost to discourage tourism by
stepping up
the frequency of atrocities, increasing the penalties for foreign
distribution of
leaflets and placing administrative obstacles in the way of air carriers and
tour operators.