[myanmar] Are the Generals Really F

The basic framework of Buddhist ethics for rulers
is set out in the "Ten Duties of the King"
(dasa-raja-dhamma):

1. Dana -- liberality, generosity, charity.
The ruler should not have craving and attachment
for wealth and property, but should give it away
for the welfare of the people.

2. Sila -- a high and moral character.  He should
never destroy life, cheat, steal and exploit others,
commit adultery, utter falsehood, or take intoxicating
drinks.

3. Pariccaga -- sacrificing everything for the good
of the people.  He must be prepared to give up all
personal comfort, name and fame, and even his life,
in the interest of the people.

4. Ajjava -- honesty and integrity.  He must be
free from fear and favor in the discharge of his
duties, must be sincere in his intentions, and must
not deceive the public.

5. Maddava -- kindness and gentleness.  He must
possess a genial temperament.

6. Tapa -- austerity of habits.  He must lead a
simple life, and should not indulge in a life of
uxury.  He  must have self-control.

7.  Akkodha -- freedom from envy, ill-will, enemity.
He should bear no grudge against anybody.

8.  Avihimsa -- non-violence, which means not only
that he should harm nobody, but that he should try
to promote peace by avoiding and preventing war,
and everything which involves violence and
destruction of life.

9. Khanti -- patience, forbearance, tolerance,
understanding.  He must be able to bear hardships,
difficulties and insults without losing his temper.

10. Avirodha -- non-opposition, non-obstruction,
that is to say that he should not oppose the will
of the people, should not obstruct any measures
that are conducive to the welfare of the people.
In other words he should rule in harmony with his
people.