Burmese say Junta neglects tomb of

--------------AAD0855E9F9F311DA06C9DA3

BURMESE SAY JUNTA NEGLECTS TOMB OF LAST EMPEROR

>From The Asian Age newspaper
By Our Correspondent

New Delhi, Nov. 18:

    The pro-democracy activists of Burma have kept up their pressure by
criticising the visit by a prominent member of the ruling military
junta, General Maung Aye, to India.

Several Burmese students in India protested against the visit on Friday
when Gen. Aye was received by the Indian leadership with much warmth.

Burma?s pro-democracy activists on Saturday slammed the Burmese military
junta for the poor maintenance of Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar?s
mausoleum in Rangoon.

Meanwhile, Union home minister L.K. Advani is also learnt to have talked
to the Burmese leadership about the care of Bahadur Shah Zafar?s
mausoleum. The student activists have criticised India for talking to
the military leadership of Burma, which was trying to gain legitimacy
from at least some countries in the world.

 ?If Indians can maintain Thibaw?s mausoleum, why can?t we do so in
Burma? This is a stigma on our claim of being secular,? a spokesman of
the Doboma Asi Ayona said here. Burmese king Thibaw?s mausoleum is
located at Ratnagiri in Maharashtra.

Stating that Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar II had represented not only
India but the entire subcontinent against the ?common? colonial masters,
the British, the spokesman said, ?Why don?t we hand over the memorial at
Rangoon to the government of India??

Appreciating the manner in which India has been maintaining the Burmese
king?s mausoleum at Ratnagiri, the Burmese leader said  ?even the
Muslims of Burma have never raised the issue and even the cultural
organisations never volunteered to renovate the historical monument at
Rangoon.?

 ?It is time that we reciprocated the Indian gesture and learnt to
respect the feelings of our brethren,? he added.

Gen. Maung Aye, who was given a warm welcome on Friday, will meet Prime
Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and external affairs minister Jaswant
Singh on Monday. He is on a week-long visit to New Delhi along with a
delegation comprising the deputy prime minister and six other ministers.

The Burmese leadership has already ensured India that it will take
measures against militant groups operating from that country.

--------------AAD0855E9F9F311DA06C9DA3

<b>BURMESE SAY JUNTA NEGLECTS TOMB OF LAST EMPEROR</b>
[...]
king?s mausoleum at Ratnagiri, the Burmese leader said&nbsp; ?even the