Mizzima: American School students j

--------------79942FA85D9C9AC43DCDB144

American School students joined Burma refugee children in X?mas in Delhi

New Delhi, December 21, 2000
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

International students from the American School in New Delhi joined with
Burma refugee children yesterday evening in celebrating Christmas in
West Delhi where majority of Burmese refugees live. The students from
the American School visited Burmese Community Resource Centre (BCRC) in
Vikas Puri and celebrated Christmas with music and dance together with
more than a hundred children from Burma.

The American School students gave cakes, fruits, and soft drinks and
warm clothes as Christmas gifts for the Burmese children. ?I heard there
is Burmese community living in exile in India due to the political
repression in Burma. As members of Amnesty International Club in our
school, we are supposed to protect the human rights and it is our work
to help the Burmese refugees?, said a high-school Japanese student from
the American School. ?Our aim is to bring more friends for the Burmese
refugees in New Delhi. I feel that friendship is what Burmese refugees
in New Delhi need the most, apart from material assistance?, said Ms.
Neya Munk, a Brazilian who organized the celebration.

About 800 refugees from Burma have been living in Delhi. They have come
to India since 1988 after the popular uprising for democracy and human
rights in Burma. Out of 800, there are about a hundred and fifty
children. Majority of them is Chin ethnic nationalities, who are
Christians. ?We celebrate Christmas every year when we were in Burma.
But here we don?t have enough money for celebrations?, said one of the
Chins. Most of the Burma refugees living in Delhi are recognized by the
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) which provides
Indian Rupees 1,400 (about US $ 31) per month per person. They
established the Burmese Community Resource Center (BCRC) in New Delhi
two years ago to support each other and to strengthen their activities
for the restoration of democracy and respect for human rights in Burma.

--------------79942FA85D9C9AC43DCDB144

<b><font size=+2>American School students joined Burma refugee children
in X?mas in Delhi</font></b>