BurmaNet News: March 2, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
         March 2, 2001   Issue # 1748
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*New York Times: Memo Feeds Concern That Exports to U.S. Help Burmese
Junta
*DVB: Time bomb discovered at Indaing ammunition depot near Rangoon
*Xinhua: Fourteen Confirmed Dead in Myanmar's Air Crash
*AP: Rescuers find body of top general killed in helicopter crash
*AP: U.N. official: Myanmar ignoring `tragedy' of child trafficking

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*U.S. Department of State: Powell meets Razali
*AP: Myanmar welcomes Thai foreign minister's statement
*AP: Myanmar slams U.S. drug blacklisting as politically motivated
*Xinhua: Thai Troops Still On Alert Along Thai-Myanmar Border
*AFP: International unions urge Myanmar to stop forced labour

ECONOMY/BUSINESS _______
*AP: Ban Sought on Myanmar Imports

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

New York Times: Memo Feeds Concern That Exports to U.S. Help Burmese
Junta

March 1, 2001

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

Myanmar, which has been governed by a military junta for more than a
dozen years, is rapidly increasing apparel exports to the United States
despite American economic sanctions against that country.

A newly declassified State Department cable describes how factories in
Myanmar, formerly Burma, have produced garments for leading American
designers and retailers, including Kenneth Cole, Nautica, Jordache,
Kmart and Wal-Mart.

The cable, written by the American Embassy in Myanmar's capital,
Yangoon, also known as Rangoon, to the Secretary of State voices concern
that Myanmar's military leaders are benefiting financially from these
shipments because most of the factories are joint ventures partly owned
by the military government.

"The Burmese garment industry is booming -- growing 45 percent in the
last year," said the cable dated last July. "Factories on the northern
outskirts of Rangoon are operating non-stop, producing winter clothes
for the U.S. market."

In 1999, the cable said, Myanmar exported $168 million worth of garments
to the United States, but those shipments more than doubled last year,
soaring to $403.7 million. That places Burma's apparel exports to the
United States well above France's, at about the same level as Israel's
exports to the United States.

Four years ago, President Clinton banned all new American investments in
Myanmar, but the government has not banned trade with that country,
although it has encouraged companies not to do business there. Mr.
Clinton took those actions because of the military junta's repression of
the democratic opposition and its leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, a winner of
the Nobel Peace Prize.

The cable was obtained from Senator Tom Harkin, an Iowa Democrat who
along with Senator Jesse Helms, a North Carolina Republican, and Senator
Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, has called for the prohibition
of apparel imports from Myanmar.

"Here we have perhaps the most brutally repressive military regime in
the world," Senator Harkin said. "And by importing all this apparel from
there, we're putting close to half a billion dollars into their coffers
every year.

That money is going right to this brutally repressive regime and we're
not doing anything about it. You talk about holes in our sanctions in
Iraq, that's nothing compared to this."

Most of Myanmar's garment factories, the cable states, have been
financed by Korean, Taiwanese and Hong Kong manufacturers that have
turned to Myanmar because they are bumping up against quotas imposed by
the United States limiting imports from their countries. Myanmar, by
contrast, has unfilled import quotas to the United States.

Low pay is a major attraction for foreign manufacturers, the cable
suggests. "Workers reportedly receive salaries ranging between 5,000 and
17,000 kyat (or $14 to $47 dollars) per month for a 48-hour work week,"
the cable said. "The lowest paid workers are trainees who receive 5,000
kyat per month or about U.S. 8 cents an hour."

The cable also noted another reason that garment manufacturers are
flocking to Myanmar -- labor unions are prohibited there.

Describing a visit to a factory capable of producing one million shirts
per year, the cable states, "The factory owners claimed that the
Government of Burma Ministry of Labor adequately protected the workers
and that there was no need for unions in Burma."

Earlier this week, the State Department denounced Myanmar in its annual
human rights report, finding that the military government deprived the
most basic social and political rights.

Last November, the International Labor Organization, a United Nations
agency, recommended, in its strongest sanctions ever, that the
organization's 175 member states review their business dealings with
Myanmar because of the widespread use of forced labor there.

"It's criminal that at the moment the administration is talking about
increased repression in Burma, our government is allowing a huge
increase in apparel imports from Burma under a very lax quota," said
Charles Kernaghan, executive director of the National Labor Committee, a
New York-based group that promotes workers rights.

Jessica Moser, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said the company's American
stores stopped importing apparel from Myanmar three years ago, although
she added that Wal-Mart stores in other countries only stopped such
imports about a year ago.

Michele Jasukaitis, a Kmart spokeswoman, said, "We do not import
directly from Burma, and we double-check our distribution centers for
any indirect imports from Burma."

Kenneth Cole officials acknowledged that one of the designer's
subcontractors had been importing sweaters from Burma, but the company
said it terminated such imports from Myanmar as soon as it learned about
them several months ago.

Nautica and Jordache officials did not return telephone calls.

DVB: Time bomb discovered at Indaing ammunition depot near Rangoon

March 2, 2001

[FBIS Translated Text]

DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma] has learned that a time bomb was
discovered near the No.8 Ammunition Depot at Indaing Central Ammunition
Battalion on Tuesday [27 Feb] evening. Within hours of the discovery,
many security personnel were stationed in Indaing. Furthermore, the
military engineers' battalion has been searching the premises for more
explosive devices. According to Rangoon SPDC [State Peace and
Development Council] sources, the dissatisfaction is growing among
military officers for lack of official announcement regarding the death
of SPDC Secretary-2 Lt Gen Tin Oo in a helicopter crash. Newsletters
requesting an official announcement is also being distributed.

 A foreign diplomat told DVB that the situation in Rangoon is back to
normal. He continued to say that a power struggle rumor brewing among
the military top brass is also not true. He said so many people are
commenting in numerous ways about Lt Gen Tin Oo's death in a helicopter
crash. The same diplomat remarked, so far there has been no official
statement concerning the crash from the SPDC. When asked about the
activities of the National League for Democracy [NLD] headquarters he
answered that the Shwegondine Road headquarters of the NLD remains shut
and added that the city has returned to normalcy.

According to news received by DVB, the Burmese currency [kyat] has
become stable and one US$ is now worth 490 kyat while the FEC [Foreign
Exchange Certificate] is now 390. Last week the kyat nosedived to almost
600. A diplomat said the currency rebounded because the government
closed the money changers and tried to arrest people who tried to deal
in foreign exchange. Another reason for the drop in value of the Burmese
currency is the rumor that the pay of government employees will be
increased.

02 MAR 1745z

Xinhua: Fourteen Confirmed Dead in Myanmar's Air Crash

YANGON, March 2 (Xinhua) -- A total of 14 people has been confirmed dead
in February 19 Myanmar helicopter crash by Friday's official newspaper
The New Light of Myanmar. The 14 included Lieutenant-General Tin Oo, 67,
Second Secretary of the ruling Myanmar State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) and Chief of the Bureau of Special Operations and Chief
of Staff of the Army, Brigadier-General Lun Maung, 65, Minister at the
Prime Minister's Office and Major-General Sit Maung, 53, Chairman of the
Mon SPDC and Southeastern Commander.

It has also been confirmed so far that 13 people have been rescued with
2 still missing and fearing dead. Of a total of 29 on board the former
Soviet-made military helicopter MI-7 which accommodates 26 only, 22 were
government officials and seven were crew members. The helicopter, which
carried Tin Oo and entourage on an inspection tour of a new bridge,was
heading for Hpa-an in eastern Kayin state from Mawlamyine in southern
Mon state and crashed into the Thanlwin River near Hpa-an. Government
report said that the accident was due to bad weather condition.

AP: Rescuers find body of top general killed in helicopter crash

YANGON, Myanmar

March 2, 2001

(AP) _ Rescue workers have pulled out the body of a top general from a
river, 11 days after he died in a helicopter crash along with several
top officials of Myanmar's military junta, officials said Friday.   The
body of Maj. Gen. Sit Maung was found Thursday, 13 kilometers (8 miles)
from the site where the M-17 helicopter crashed in Salween river in
southeastern Myanmar on Feb. 19, an official said, speaking on customary
condition of anonymity.   With the latest discovery, divers have so far
recovered 14 bodies, and the search is continuing for two remaining
passengers missing -- navy Col. Kyaw Tin Hla and Lt. Col. Maung Maung
Thet, a general staff officer of the Defense Ministry.

 The helicopter was carrying 28 military officials and one civilian when
it went down. Thirteen people swam to safety or were rescued.   The
death of so many important military officials including two Cabinet
ministers was the biggest blow suffered by the State Peace and
Development Council, as the junta calls itself.   The most senior
general killed in the crash was Lt. Gen. Tin Oo, the fourth-most
powerful official in the ruling council whose members took power in
September 1988 after crushing an uprising for democracy.   Sit Maung,
53, the commander of the military's southeastern forces, also was a
member of the State Peace and Development Council. A brief obituary of
Sit Maung was published in official newspapers Friday.

AP: U.N. official: Myanmar ignoring `tragedy' of child trafficking

March 2, 2001

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ The top U.N. human rights monitor Thursday
accused Myanmar of ignoring the plight of its children who end up
working as illegal laborers or prostitutes in Thailand.   ``It's a
tragedy that young children are forced by extreme poverty into crossing
frontiers,'' Mary Robinson, the United Nations High Commissioner for
Human Rights, said.

She was speaking to reporters after touring the Kredtrakarn Protection
and Occupational Development Center, a children's refuge located on a
river island outside Bangkok.   It is home to 280 girls and young women
from Thailand, and its poorer neighbors Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. The
girls get bed and board as well as schooling and training in handicrafts
and computing.   Robinson said some countries, especially military-run
Myanmar, are not admitting the scale of the worsening problem of human
trafficking, caused by poverty, discrimination against minorities and
the abuse of human rights at home.

``I have seen a three-year old child from Cambodia inside here,'' she
said.   About 60 percent of the girls at the refuge have migrated to
Thailand to work in factories, as household maids or in the burgeoning
flesh trade. There are an estimated 1 million illegal migrants of all
ages in Thailand. Most come from Myanmar.   Over the past year, 350
children from the center have been repatriated, but not to Myanmar,
which has yet to cooperate with a region-wide United Nations project to
combat trafficking in women and children.

``Certainly the girls I spoke to from Myanmar want to go home to their
families. It's important that Myanmar accepts its responsibility in this
area,'' Robinson said.   Montip Kityangsopon, a social worker, said the
center had opened its doors to foreign children two years ago, after
Thailand made legislative changes to recognize child migrants not as
immigration offenders but victims.   Many of the migrants from Myanmar,
which shares a more than 2,000-kilometer (1,250-mile) border with
Thailand, are from ethnic minorities who have fled conflict between
government military and rebel armies or forced relocation.

Some Cambodian children at the center have been deported and trafficked
into Thailand as many as four times to work in begging gangs or selling
gum and flowers to tourists, Montip said.   About 20 girls at the center
from Laos had been duped by traffickers to work as prostitutes in
southern Thailand near the Malaysian border.

``The pimps threaten them that `if you go anywhere, the police will
catch you,''' Montip said. The girls were set free after they managed to
tip off their embassy.   ``I miss my family,'' one 15-year old Lao girl,
who did not want to be named, told Robinson. The girl was weaving a
cotton sarong on a wooden loom _ one of the training activities at the
center.   Gamini Abeysekera, the U.N. Children's Fund representative in
Thailand, said some children arrived as migrants in Thailand with their
parents, others were brought by organizing trafficking gangs.   It could
take up to two years to organize their repatriation, during which time
they could get counseling and skills training.   Abeysekera believed the
attitude of the Myanmar government to accepting returnees was
``softening.''

___________________ REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL___________________

U.S. Department of State: Powell meets Razali

DAILY BRIEFING
Richard Boucher, US State Dept. Spokesman
Washington, DC
March 1, 2001

MR. BOUCHER: Ladies and gentlemen, good afternoon. What I would like to
do at the beginning is talk a little bit about Burma, the meeting and
Secretary Powell met today with UN Special Envoy for Burma, Razali
Ismail. The Secretary was encouraged by Ambassador Razali's report that
dialogue between the Burmese regime and Aung San Suu Kyi is moving
forward. We hope that the dialogue will lead to national reconciliation
in Burma and democratic transition to a civilian government.

Ambassador Razali has brought an energetic, far-seeing and balanced
perspective to his efforts at facilitating communication between all
parties in Burma. We strongly support his mission, and we are ready to
assist him in any way that we can.

Although we are encouraged by the ongoing dialogue and recent releases
of some political prisoners, we are mindful that the Burmese regime
continues to systematically violate the fundamental basic human rights
of its citizens. We urge the Burmese regime to move forward in its
dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma's democratically elected
representatives.

So that is my way of rundown on part of the meeting between Ambassador
Razali and the Secretary.

Q: Another question on Burma. Now, Burma is one of the two countries --
Burma and Afghanistan -- in this new narcotics report -- which is not
certified, and this morning the Ambassador met with the Secretary. Was
there any discussion about the drug -- why his country was one of the
two only not certified?

MR. BOUCHER: There was not any discussion of the drug certification
report. They talked about the dialogue, they talked about our desire to
support Ambassador Razali's effort to foster a dialogue. But at this
point, there was no discussion of the drug report or -- well, as I
pointed out in the statement, we still think Burma has many human rights
problems that need to be addressed as well, so this is the beginning of
a dialogue. There are many issues that need to be addressed by Burma.

AP: Myanmar welcomes Thai foreign minister's statement

March 2, 2001

YANGON, Thailand (AP) _ Myanmar Foreign Minister Win Aung on Thursday
welcomed his Thai counterpart's statement that Thai diplomacy will be
governed by the ``Asian way'' of noninterference.   ``We welcome the
Thai minister's statement. We not only follow the 'Asian way' of
noninterference, but also follow the five principles of peaceful
coexistence, mutual respect for territorial integrity, sovereignty,
nonaggression (and) noninterference in one other's affair,'' Win Aung
said.

``We also follow our ancestors' saying: `make big problems small and
smaller problems will disappear''' Win Aung added.   Thailand's new
foreign minister, Surakiart Sathirathai, told reporters Thursday that
the ``Asian way'' of practicing diplomacy does not mean ignoring human
rights and democracy. But Asian way means outsiders should not make
Asian leaders lose ``face'' during negotiations or force their opinions.

Surakiart had also spoken about the ``Asian way'' during a speech at the
inaugural session of Thai parliament this week.   Surakiart's comments
have been construed as a shift in Thailand's foreign policy by
abandoning the previous government's pro-Western stance to actively push
for democracy in Myanmar whose ruling military junta seized power in
1988.   Surakiart said the Asian way of solving problems was responsible
for the new signs of reconciliation between Myanmar's junta and the
opposition led by pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

AP: Myanmar slams U.S. drug blacklisting as politically motivated

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP)

March 2, 2001

Myanmar, the world's second largest producer of opium and heroin,
slammed the United States Friday for putting it on a drugs blacklist,
saying the action was politically motivated.   In a statement received
in Bangkok, Myanmar's military regime said the United States was
absolving itself of all blame although it was the world's biggest market
for drugs and a center of drug-linked organized crime and money
laundering.   ``Giving out funds to certain countries while scapegoating
others will not solve much of the drug problem we are facing today,''
said the statement. ``Just holding the purse does not give any nation
the right to finger point.''

On Thursday, the U.S. State Department put Myanmar and Afghanistan on a
list of countries that it said were not fully cooperating with U.S.
anti-drug efforts in 2000. This made them subject to economic penalties
that will have no real effect because the countries are already under
other U.S. sanctions.   Cambodia and Haiti were also put on the list but
received a national security waiver of economic penalties.   Myanmar
faces sharp U.S. criticism and is deprived of most international sources
of foreign aid because of its human rights record and refusal to hand
over power to democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi whose party won general
elections in 1990.

The Myanmar statement claimed the blacklisting was based on ``political
reason rather than the actual facts.''   The U.S. report conceded that
production of heroin and opium had steadily declined since 1996 due to
Myanmar government eradication efforts and adverse weather conditions.
But production of methamphetamines had skyrocketed, it said.   The
government has been unwilling or unable to take on the most powerful
drug producing and trafficking groups, which include ethnic armies that
have signed cease-fires with the regime, the report said.   Until the
mid-1990s, Myanmar was the world's leading producer of opium, the raw
material of heroin, but it was eclipsed by Afghanistan.   The United
States has disputed a recent U.N. report that said the Taliban rulers of
Afghanistan have virtually eliminated poppies, the flower from which
opium is produced. The United Nations Drug Control Program says it
expects opium production to be negligible in Afghanistan this year
because of a ban on poppy imposed by Taliban.

However, Myanmar is still the source of about 80 percent of production
in Southeast Asia's Golden Triangle, where the borders of northern
Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet.   The report hailed Thailand for ``one
of the most effective illicit narcotic crop control programs in the
world,'' while Vietnam had also made steady advances in the war against
drugs.   In Hanoi, Vietnam's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Phan Thuy
Thanh's said in statement that the country has ``basically eradicated
poppy opium plant areas.'' Without commenting on the U.S. report, the
statement said Vietnam is a developing country with ``constrained
finances, but has always placed a high priority on drug control and
prevention.''   A minister overseeing Thailand's narcotics control
bureau hailed the report as ``very useful.'' Thammarak Issarangkura na
Ayuthaya said the report's criticism of Myanmar did not surprise him.

``It is normal for countries that do not have good relations with the
United States to withhold cooperation, including in narcotic
suppression,'' Thammarak told The Associated Press.

Xinhua: Thai Troops Still On Alert Along Thai-Myanmar Border

March 2, 2001

BANGKOK, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Thai troops deployed along the Thai-Myanmar
border are still on alert and tight surveillance, as Myanmese forces are
prepared to launch renewed crackdown on armed ethnic groups, the Thai
News Agency (TNA) reported Thursday. Thai troops, particularly those who
were deployed along the border in the northern province of Mae Hong Son,
are now on high alert and perform tight surveillance following a fresh
clash between Myanmese forces and their ethnic allies with the armed
Kaya Karen group on Wednesday. The clash caused an influx of a number of
refugees from the Myanmar side into the Thai soil. Local Thai
authorities have provided temporary shelters for the refugees. Thai
forces along the border are now prepared to cope with any incident,
which may result from possible renewed clashes in the Myanmar side, and
to protect refugees in the shelters, said the report. Thai soldiers
along the border in the western province of Tak are also well prepared,
as it is now the time when Yangon normally cracks down the armed Karen
National Unit (KNU), and more Yangon forces with heavy arms have been
moved in near the border, it added. Local authorities had told leaders
of 17 villages in six sub- districts along the border to warn villagers
to be aware of their safety and to arrange local security system. Thai
forces are also well prepared along border areas in Mae Sai and Mae Fa
Luang districts of Chiang Rai. Border tension has resulted in reduced
smuggling of metamphetamines into the Thai territory over the past
weeks, the report noted.

AFP: International unions urge Myanmar to stop forced labour

TOKYO, March 1 (AFP) - The head of an international trade union Thursday
urged governments of the world to pressure Myanmar to end its forced
labour practices.

"Overwhelming and indisputable evidence shows that the military regime
has systematically violated the human rights of the people of Burma,
particularly in the area of forced labour," Bill Jordan, general
secretary of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions, told
a press conference.   Jordan's group, which represents 156 million
members around the world, was in Tokyo for a two-day conference with
representatives of unions and democracy movements from around the world
to discuss the labour situation in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma.

 "One of the reasons why we called for this meeting is, contrary to what
the military junta is saying to governments, the practice of forced
labour continues unabated," Jordan said.   Conference participants
discussed how labour unions may assist the International Labour
Organization, which sent letters to numerous governments last December
asking them to review their ties with Myanmar as long as the junta
tolerated forced labour, Jordan said.

 "The unsaid statement of the letter was: If you have trading
relationships with the military regime ... you are, without doubt,
sustaining the military regime and the abuses that have been perpetrated
by the military regime," Jordan said.   The ILO has been studying the
labour situation in Myanmar since 1993, and has found millions of people
were engaged in forced labour, mainly in domestic infrastructure
projects, Jordan said.   Many people have been killed for speaking
against the government or failing to perform the jobs they were required
to do, Jordan said.   "The evidence that has been collected was so
comprehensive and so damning ... A part of the exercise here in Tokyo is
to build up the presentation of (labour abuses in Myanmar), which we
will take worldwide to make sure the ILO decisions are implemented," he
said.

The ICFTU is building a data base of multinational companies that do
business in Myanmar, some of them under harsh labour conditions, Jordan
said, while declining to identify any.   "Labour unions will take the
matter to the companies (to stop working with the government of
Myanmar).

Regrettably so, some consumer items -- are made in Burma for a fraction
of the prices that they are sold for either in Japan, Europe or in
America," he said.   "Almost all industries in the world do businesses
with Burma," he said.   "The military dictatorship has been operating
for many years in Burma and publically crushed democracy," Jordan said.
 "The fact is that they exist on oppression. Until democracy is
restored, this forced labour will probably never shut down."

_______________ ECONOMY AND BUSINESS _______________

AP: Ban Sought on Myanmar Imports

The Associated Press, Thu 1 Mar 2001

WASHINGTON (AP) ù A Democratic senator urged a ban on U.S. clothing
imports from Myanmar Thursday, saying such business gives dollars to the
nation's ``brutal dictators'' and cuts American jobs.

Meanwhile, the State Department pledged to help promote reconciliation
between the country's military rulers and the opposition led by Nobel
Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

``Most Americans think we already have tough sanctions in place with
Burma, but ... our current sanctions policy is more bluster than bite,''
Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, said, using the old name for Myanmar.

``Many U.S. apparel companies are importing more and more of their
clothes from the Burmese gulag,'' where factory workers earn as little
as 7 cents an hour, he said, noting that it is impossible to do business
in the country outside of joint ventures with state-owned companies.

In 1997 the Clinton administration banned new investment in Myanmar.
Although the government does not prohibit trade with the country, it has
discouraged Americans from doing business there.

But Harkin said that since the ban, apparel imports from Myanmar have
grown 372 percent ù to $403.7 million last year.

The Defense Department abruptly stopped importing clothing from Myanmar
in December. Critics in Congress and in human rights groups said the
practice ran contrary to the administration's efforts to put an economic
squeeze on Myanmar, whose military rulers refused to recognize the
election victory a decade ago by Suu Kyi's National League for
Democracy.

On Thursday, Secretary of State Colin Powell met with the U.N. special
envoy to the country, Razali Ismail.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Powell was encouraged by
the envoy's report that talks between the regime and Suu Kyi were
progressing.
``Although we're encouraged by the ongoing dialogue and recent releases
of some political prisoners, we're mindful that the Burmese regime
continues to systematically violate the fundamental, basic human rights
of its citizens,'' Boucher said.

The envoy's predecessors visited the country a half dozen times and made
no headway.

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail or fax (US) +1(202) 318-1261
You will be prompted to press 1 for a voice message or 2 to send a fax.
If you do neither, a fax tone will begin automatically.

Fax (Japan) +81 (3) 4512-8143

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at http://www.soros.org/burma/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly