Mizzima: Burmese fast for second da

--------------ABEDBDC57D417E11DD3EDDDA

                       Burmese fast for second day

New Delhi, May 9, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

The Burmese asylum-seekers who are demanding the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to grant them refugee status continue
their hunger strike for the second day today. The total 24 Chin
nationals from Burma including eight women started their protest
yesterday, claiming that the UNHCR is not taking their plight seriously.

Meanwhile, UNHCR officials in New Delhi have informed the protestors
that the office will look into the pending cases of the asylum seekers
and for those whose application were already rejected can submit fresh
appeal to the office. The UNHCR officials, led by Ms. W.M Lim-Kabaa,
Deputy Chief of Mission of the UNHCR in Delhi met the two
representatives of the protestors yesterday evening and informed about
the response of the UNHCR.

?Why we are having hunger strike is that we want the protection from the
UNHCR. However, UNHCR has not given any positive response to our
request. It has not granted us the refugee status and the monthly
subsistence allowance. We will continue our hunger strike. Our demand is
that UNHCR grants all of us the refugee status as we all left Burma due
to the brutal military repression?, said Mr. Van Hnin Thang,
representative of the protestors.

The hunger strikers appeared fit although most of them are lying or
sleeping under the tree?s shadow in front of the UNHCR on Lodhi Road.
Amongst the protestors was a six-month old baby whose mother?s
application for refugee status was rejected by the UNHCR.

--------------ABEDBDC57D417E11DD3EDDDA

Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to grant them refugee status
continue their hunger strike for the second day today. The total 24 Chin
nationals from Burma including eight women started their protest yesterday,
claiming that the UNHCR is not taking their plight seriously.</font>
the protestors that the office will look into the pending cases of the
asylum seekers and for those whose application were already rejected can
submit fresh appeal to the office. The UNHCR officials, led by Ms. W.M
Lim-Kabaa, Deputy Chief of Mission of the UNHCR in Delhi met the two representatives
of the protestors yesterday evening and informed about the response of
the UNHCR.</font>
from the UNHCR. However, UNHCR has not given any positive response to our
request. It has not granted us the refugee status and the monthly subsistence
allowance. We will continue our hunger strike. Our demand is that UNHCR
grants all of us the refugee status as we all left Burma due to the brutal
military repression?, said Mr. Van Hnin Thang, representative of the protestors.</font>
are lying or sleeping under the tree?s shadow in front of the UNHCR on
Lodhi Road. Amongst the protestors was a six-month old baby whose mother?s
application for refugee status was rejected by the UNHCR.</font>

--------------ABEDBDC57D417E11DD3EDDDA--