ABSL wrote to Japanese government t

Letter to the Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs

H.E. Mr. Hiroshi Hirabayashi
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Embassy of Japan
50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi - 110021
Fax: 6885587

May 27, 2001

Your Excellency,

Please transmit the enclosed letter to your Minister of Foreign Affairs

Yours sincerely,

Kyaw Than
All Burma Students League

Contact telephone: 3017172. Fax. 3793397
____________

MEMORANDUM

Ms Makiko Tanaka,
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2-2-1 Kasumigaseki
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8919 JAPAN

May 27, 2001

Dear Minister,

On behalf of the All Burma Students League and Burma's democratic forces based in India, I would like to call your attention to our protest against the reported consideration of the Japan government to giving a $24 million aid package to Burmese military junta to help repair of the Baluchaung Hydropower Station II in Burma (Myanmar). The Japanese grant is said to be a "reward" to the current talks between Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the Burmese military regime.

We believe that the current "talks" between Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the military regime is NOT a political negotiation; it is just a meeting to break the political deadlock in Burma. The talks have not yet resulted any thing that fulfills the people's verdict of the 1990 general elections and that aims democratization and national reconciliation in the country. In fact, the regime is using the "talks" to get the international acceptance and assistance while facing the crippling political and economic situation inside the country. Moreover, the military regime continues to put Daw Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest and opposition political leaders are either being detained or jailed.

We believe that relenting any pressure or extending any assistance at this juncture to the military regime without seeing any concrete result from the "talks" can hamper the process of evolving genuine political dialogues in Burma.  Moreover, the International Labour Organization has asked its constituents, including governments, to ensure that their relations with Burma do not contribute to forced labour. The Burmese government will, as it continues to do in other parts of the country, use the forced labor on this project as well.

Therefore, we think that your decision to consider giving aid to Burmese junta is a dangerous and premature decision, which will help strengthen the military dictatorship in Burma. We earnestly request you to re-consider your decision and not to grant any aid, including ODA, to the Burmese junta until the elected democratic government comes into power in Burma.

Sincerely,

Kyaw Than
President (All Burma Students League)
Enclosure: Our position on the current talks and the 1990 election result

Visit http://www.visto.com/info, your free web-based communications center.
Visto.com. Life on the Dot.