BurmaNet News: July 30, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
           July 30, 2001   Issue # 1854
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*DVB: Seven political prisoners released unannounced
*DVB : Burmese political prisoner release criticized by NLD official
*International Herald-Tribune: Rocking Burma: A Gadfly With or Without
Hair
*AFP: Myanmar to launch "light and entertaining" FM radio station:
report
*AFP: Myanmar to host new international golf tournament

MONEY _______
*Xinhua: Foreign Investment in Myanmar Sharply Up in 1st Quarter
*KNU: Mergui-Tavoy District Information Department: Regime, Thai
businessmen agree on highway and possible dam project

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*The New York Times: Yearning To Be Safe
*Kyodo: U.N. envoy Razali to return to Myanmar Aug. 27
*The Straits Times (Singapore)  EU sees Myanmar situation as a hurdle
*Daily Yomiuri (Japan): Director determined to complete Japanese-Myanmar
film
*New York Times: Thailand's Leader Wants to Switch Time Zones

EDITORIALS/OPINION/PROPAGANDA________
*The Nation: Burma must join a regional effort

VIRUS WARNING

Judging by the number of viruses sent to BurmaNet in the last week, the
W32/sircam@MM virus is prevalent in the Burma Internet community.

To avoid getting the virus, don?t open email attachments.

If your computer gets infected, it will randomly pick a file on your
hard drive and send the file along with a copy of itself to people in
your address book.  Recipients will get infected either by opening the
virus file or the document attachment.  After sending itself to people
in your address book, the virus will attempt to delete some or all of
the contents on your hard disk.

Because of the risk posed by viruses, documents sent to BurmaNet as
attachments are rarely opened.  If you have a press release or news item
you want posted in BurmaNet, please send it as a plain text email.

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

DVB: Seven political prisoners released unannounced

Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 27 Jul 01

DVB Democratic Voice of Burma has learned that the SPDC State Peace and
Development Council military government has released another seven
political prisoners without announcing on 18 July. They are Dr Kyi Min
and U Tint Wai from Insein Jail, and U Tun Kyaw, U Kyi Nyunt, U Sein
Maung, U Mya Saing, and U Kyaw Tha from Thayet Jail.

When Daw Aung San Suu Kyi received the Nobel Peace Prize, Dr Kyi Min
supposedly said that this kind of woman is rare in Burma and that he is
proud to be Burmese. He used his office stationary and distributed the
pamphlets. He was arrested by the SPDC Military Intelligence MI , in
1991 and sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. U Tint Wai was arrested
last year without charge and later sentenced to 15 years imprisonment.
Political sources in Rangoon told DVB that Dr Kyi Min was released
because his time was up while U Tint Wai was released because of his
chronic TB disease.

The other five including U Tun Kyaw from Aunglan were arrested by the MI
in 1997 for disrespecting acts against the national flag and later
sentenced to five years imprisonment each. They raised the SPDC flag and
the NLD flag together at an Independence Day ceremony but forgot to pull
down the SPDC flag at night so action was taken against them out of
malice. Exiled democracy activists have pointed out that at present
there are over 1,000 political prisoners in jails and the SPDC dare not
issue any announcement on their release because it could expose their
malicious arrests.

More than 50 political prisoners have been released since UN Special
Envoy Mr Razali's June trip but they remain the only seven political
prisoners whose release was not announced. But NLD Central Executive
Committee Member U Lwin said at an interview yesterday that those
recently released were either overdue or on health grounds and they have
nothing to do with the agreement. If it were in accord with the
agreement then many should be released simultaneously.

DVB : Burmese political prisoner release criticized by NLD official

Burmese political prisoner release criticized by NLD official
Text of report by DVB on 26 July

Exiled democracy groups say the ongoing talks between the SPDC  and Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi will progress more if all
the remaining political prisoners are freed more quickly. Furthermore,
they  are criticizing the unfairness of the junta because the political
prisoners  were stealthily arrested en masse but they are being released
in dribs and  drabs of two to three a week.

But, SPDC Foreign Minister U Win Aung remarked at the ASEAN Meeting that
the  release of political prisoners showed the progress of the talks.
DVB contacted  National League for Democracy Central Executive Committee
Member U Lwin and asked him about his opinion of U Win Aung's remarks.
[U Lwin] Well, I wonder how much U Win Aung knows to be talking in this
manner. That is one matter. Another matter is although they have been
releasing the political prisoners we do not know how many were released
because they only inform us if it concerns our party. We are aware of
the  prisoners' release but we can tell you only what we were informed.
Last  week they released four and this week they released two, that's
what we  heard. These are the ones that have been released normally
(receding word  rendered in English)after serving their sentences. If it
is to show the  progress of the talks then they should release more if
you know what I  mean.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 26 Jul 01

Thomas Crampton International Herald Tribune  Saturday, July 28, 2001

RANGOON His appetite for sex, drugs and revolution may pale in
comparison with rockers elsewhere, but in Burma, Zaw Win Htut stands out
as a rebel who must fight to keep the government out of his hair.
 .
Literally.
 .
A harsh military dictatorship once nearly toppled by a mass student
movement, this government has a fear of spontaneous youth culture that
runs so deep that comedians have been jailed for cracking jokes about
national leaders.
 .
As one of Burma's biggest rock stars, Zaw Win Htut faces constant
government scrutiny of his lyrics, album covers and music videos, but
some of his biggest clashes concerned the length of his hair.
 .
While insisting that he has no agenda beyond pleasing fans, Zaw Win
Htut's career has drawn criticism from all sides.
 .
"Politics is a dirty word," Zaw Win Htut said in an interview at one of
Rangoon's recently opened Starbucks-style coffee shops. "We just want
the government to let us play our music."
 .
The government first stopped his music in 1990, when it prohibited
longhaired performers - of which Zaw Win Htut was among the most famous
- from appearing on a public stage.
 .
"Long hair means free spirit, so I refused to cut it," he said.
 .
Tolerance had already increased from the 1970s, when wandering patrols
of scissors-wielding police ambushed and forcibly trimmed longhaired
youths.
 .
Several years with long hair and no public performances convinced Zaw
Win Htut to trim his flowing black locks, but it was not long before the
government again took issue with his hairstyle.
 .
Like many young Burmese men, Zaw Win Htut briefly became an apprentice
monk, shaving his head.
 .
Stepping back into the Rangoon rock scene, he kept his head
clean-shaven, following a new fashion trend. The inevitable crackdown
soon came with a ban on bald people from public performance.
 .
During the decades of Burma's self-imposed isolation, rock music has
only seeped into the country through those few who traveled overseas.
Zaw Win Htut remembers small gatherings in Mandalay where seamen on home
leave played smuggled tapes of Rod Stewart, Deep Purple and John Cougar
Mellencamp.
 .
Fascinated by these unfamiliar sounds, Zaw Win Htut carried his family's
considerable fame - his grandfather and his mother were both celebrated
musicians - into the next generation by forming a band in 1983.
 .
Translating popular foreign hits into Burmese, the band saw its
popularity grow as it recorded a dozen albums of cover songs in less
than a decade.
 .
Burma's rock and roll renaissance came with the heady atmosphere of
change brought by the mass student movement of 1988.
 .
Popular pressure pushed the government to ease restrictions on the
playing of rock and even allowed the first-ever outdoor concert, an
event attended by thousands.
 .
Strutting up on stage to perform their rendition of Rod Stewart's
"Sailing," Zaw Win Htut and his group walked off as one of Burma's first
bona fide rock stars.
 .
Calling themselves Emperor ("We want to be the emperors of rock"), the
group also composed original lyrics that irked the government.
 .
In "I Am the Conqueror," a song released shortly after the military
crushed the student movement in late 1988, a son assures his mother he
will win many battles in life.
 .
"I did not write this as a political song," Zaw Win Htut said. "But the
BBC played the song so many times that some people thought it took on a
different meaning."
 .
Another popular band, Iron Cross, led a more blatant rock rebellion
several years later in issuing an album with the title "Power 54." The
implied reference to 54 University Avenue, home address of the
opposition leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, prompted the government to
destroy all copies of the album and intensify scrutiny by the department
that musicians sarcastically call the Ministry of Rock 'n' Roll.
 .
Lyrics, submitted in writing to the Press Scrutiny Department, must be
approved and exactly match words sung on demo tapes.
 .
"They hate screaming and they don't like us to shout exclamations," Zaw
Win Htut said. "They like words, so most songs are about love." The
album title, cover art and photographs each require explicit approval
and may be subject to the whim of censors.
 .
"They rejected one album cover because I wore blue jeans instead of a
longyi," Zaw Win Htut said, referring to the Burmese sarong. "We had to
reshoot the photograph in traditional dress."
 .
Despite his clashes with the government, Zaw Win Htut has also been
criticized for keeping close relations with Burma's despised military.
 .
Fellow musicians and fans accuse him of selling out with an album
released shortly after he chopped off his hair in order to resume public
performances. The album, a series of songs praising Burma's pagan-era
kings that was co-written with an army major, was considered by many to
be blatant pro-regime propaganda. Burma's leaders often assert their
legitimacy by drawing links to the all-conquering 11th-century kings.
 .
"My fans didn't like the album, because they thought it supported the
government," Zaw Win Htut said. "Truth is, I had long wanted to write
about this theme, and my good friend who wrote the lyrics just happened
to be in the army."
 .
The suspicions against him were not without basis. Burma's military has,
with limited success, often employed popular singers to support its
cause.
 .
Zaw Win Htut's grandfather, Shwe Taine Nyunt, composed songs denouncing
Britain's colonial rule and a famous marching song of tribute to the
dying independence hero and father to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, General Aung
San.
 .
Still a well-known tune, "Only the Army Can Save the Country" is
frequently played by the government radio station on national holidays.
 .
This penchant for patriotic tunes has banished rock music from the
airwaves and eliminated any chance of a reliable top-40 list. Burma's
only domestic broadcaster, Radio Myanmar, serves a steady stream of
old-style music and propaganda broken by just 30 minutes of popular
music each week.
 .
The music shops crowded along Barr Street informally compile their own
top-10 lists, but a more neutral measure of popularity is those songs
most frequently played by cover bands at popular hangouts like Hurricane
or Playboy.
 .
Even celebrity flamed by controversy does not guarantee a rock star
wealth in Burma.
 .
Cassette tapes, of which popular musicians aspire to sell 50,000, sell
for 400 kyats each, a bit more than 60 cents. Compact disks, still a
relatively new technology, retail for about 1,300 kyats, but sales are
often lost to pirate copies that sell for 700 kyats each.
 .
To earn extra cash, Zaw Win Htut rents out his recording studio and
created his own Emperor Music Group recording label. He has acted in
television commercials and is now featured on billboards promoting Max
Cola.
 .
He and his wife live in a modest suburban Rangoon home where their
bedroom doubles up as a sound booth for recording vocals.
 .
His main rock star indulgences are snakeskin boots and a red 1963
Chevrolet Impala.
 .
The establishment air about Zaw Win Htut's lifestyle fits with his
current drift away from the cutting edge of youth culture.
 .
While techno and rap took Rangoon by storm last year, Zaw Win Htut
released an album combining rock rhythms with traditional melodies
played by instruments like gongs used by the Shan ethnic minority. In
June he released what may be Burma's first original blues album.
 .
Despite this new creative direction, Zaw Win Htut still considers
himself a liberated rebel rocker.
 .
"By now I do not notice the censorship," Zaw Win Htut said. "For me, it
is all about the music and not the lyrics. Listening to the music I
forget everything."

AFP: Myanmar to launch "light and entertaining" FM radio station: report

YANGON, July 27 (AFP) - Myanmar's military government plans to liven up
Yangon's airwaves with "light and entertaining" broadcasts from a new FM
radio station to be launched by the end of the year, a report said
Friday.

 The Yangon City Development Committee will run the station from city
hall, treating listeners to a potpourri of daily traffic reports, city
news and entertainment, the
Burmese language Myanmar Times reported.

 The committee expects to deploy a team of reporters across the city who
will file dispatches via walkie-talkie to the station while providing
"early warning" traffic reports for motorists who tune in.

 Programs airing on the station will be "light and entertaining" and
unlike the decidedly more stern broadcasts heard on Myanmar's state
radio. Western and Myanmar music will also be featured.

 More than 100,000 dollars-worth of broadcast gear has reportedly been
ordered from Singapore to equip the station which will be broadcast on
the 99 Mhz frequency.

 The radio station would be the latest modern amenity in Yangon, a city
of 5.5 million
inhabitants where posh residential houses, shopping malls and high-rise
office buildings have become increasingly common.

 The FM station is slated to begin broadcasting by November.

AFP: Myanmar to host new international golf tournament

YANGON, July 28 (AFP) - Myanmar will soon play host to a new
international golf tournament in another sign that the military-ruled
nation is becoming a mecca for aspiring Asian professionals, organisers
here said.
 Secretary of the fledgling Myanmar Professional Golfers' Association
Chan Han said the championship called the Myanmar London PGA
Championship would be held in Mandalay, 450 miles north of here from
September 26 to 29.

 "The fact that we can hold this event here shows that the standard of
golf in Myanmar is quite high," Chan Han told reporters ahead of the
launching of the five-venue local circuit scheduled for July 30.

 An established leg on the Asian professional golf circuit, Myanmar
already hosts the internationally recognised Myanmar Open.

 According to Han, who also runs the Han Golf Masters Pte Limited, the
tournament will be the first-ever international-level championship held
in Mandalay, the seat of
Myanmar art and culture.

 "This is also another milestone for professional golf here, with 40 of
our pros, including four to six of our top amateurs, having an
opportunity to play against international players," he said.

 The championship organisers expect about 70 licensed professionals will
take part in what has been described as an "opportunity tour" intended
for second-tier professional players but have not qualified for major
golfing competitions.

 "Looking at it from the point of view of our local players, this is
truly a golden opportunity for them," Han said. "They will be able to
compete with foreign players both here and in Mandalay."

 "As far as I'm concerned this is unbelievable, and we can even look
forward to the local circuit eventually becoming an international
event," he added.

 Han said Myanmar was to be one of four or five nations, including
Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, who plan to introduce similar
"opportunity tournaments" as stepping stones for the more than 500 Asian
golf pros and up to 400 more attending qualifying schools.

 The local golf circuit was organised in 1998 under the auspices of the
Myanmar Golf Federation and sponsored by Rothmans of Pall Mall Myanmar
Ptd Ltd, a private joint venture with the ruling military government.

 The "London" tournament moniker was taken from the joint venture's
locally-produced brand of cigarettes.

 Tournament developer David Parkin said in a statement that he was
"honored" to stage another international golf event in Myanmar and
"especially excited" that Mandalay had been chosen as the location.

______________________MONEY________________________

Xinhua: Foreign Investment in Myanmar Sharply Up in 1st Quarter

YANGON, July 30 (Xinhua) -- Foreign investment in Myanmar totaled 41.49
million U.S. dollars in seven projects in the first quarter of this
year, rising by 315.2 percent from the same period of 2000, according to
the latest figures issued by the country's Central Statistical
Organization. Of the investment, which came from five countries and
regions during the period, Thailand took the lead with 25.75 million
dollars, followed by Hong Kong (7.5 million dollars), the Republic of
Korea (4.21 million dollars), Singapore (3.53 million dollars) and
Canada (0.5 million dollars). Of the sectors injected by these foreign
investment, construction stood the highest with 20.5 million dollars,
followed by manufacturing (15.24 million dollars), hotels and tourism
(5.25 million dollars) and mining (0.5 million dollars). In 2000, there
came investments in Myanmar from nine countries and regions, mainly from
the Republic of Korea, Britain, China and Canada, with a total amount of
152.8 million dollars. These investment during the year were mostly
injected into the sectors of manufacturing, oil and gas and agriculture.
According to official statistics, since opening to foreign investment in
late 1988, Myanmar had drawn a total of such contracted investment of
7.34 billion dollars in 356 projects as of the end of 2000. Of the
leading foreign investors, Singapore ranked the first with 1.504 billion
dollars, followed by Britain with 1.401 billion dollars and Thailand
with 1.264 billion dollars.

Thailand's local business team has meet with the Burma army's frontline
officer a Thai-Burma border opposite Kanchanuburi proFrom:
UNITY(Mergui-Tavoy District Information Department) [ehna@xxxxxxxxxx]