Mizzima:NGO Forum Against Racism op

--------------E73A800024A1E1B6530E0B2C

                  The struggle continues; Thabo Mbeki
                NGO Forum Against Racism opens in Durban

Durban, South Africa; August 28, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

The international and national non-governmental organizations from all
over the world are gathering in Durban, a beach city of South Africa to
participate in the World Conference Against Racism (WCAR) NGO Forum
which was formally opened by Thabo Mbeki, president of South Africa this
morning.

The opening program attended by delegates from civil society
organizations from all over the world was held in the security-tight
Kingsmead Cricket Stadium in the city. Citing own experiences of South
Africa, Thabo Mbeki highlighted that millions of peoples around the
world including in the G7 countries continue to be defined by the legacy
of slavery, colonialism and racism.

?In 1994, together we achieved an important victory by defeating white
minority rule in South Africa. As we celebrated that victory, we also
said the struggle continues?, said Mbeki in his 25-minutes welcome
speech.

?We said the struggle continues because the defeat of racist rule was
but the beginning of a long journey towards the creation of a truly
non-racial country?.

With amidst clapping and cheers, Mbeki also reminded the international
delegates the importance of ?what is to be done? in the fight against
racism. ??(Y)ou will not only have to spell out what we fight for. You
will also have to explain who is or what are the enemy or enemies that
we fight against?.

The opening ceremony was also addressed by Ms. Mary Robinson, United
Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms. Berhane Ras Work,
International Steering Committee for the conference, Ms. Mercia Andrews,
president of South African National NGO Coalition (SANGOCO) and attended
by several senior South African government officials including Foreign
Minister Ms. Khosikazana Zuma.

?The Universal Declaration on Human Rights Article One proclaims that we
are all equal in dignity and rights. And we know that is not true. We
are not in practice held equal in dignity and rights. Millions don?t
know that they have human rights. Millions suffer indignity,
humiliation??, she said.

The NGO forum is taking place from 28th to 31st August and the main
objective of the conference is to address issues relating to racism,
xenophobia and other related intolerance around the world.

A delegation of Burma activists including the Women?s League of Burma
(WLB), an umbrella of Burma women organizations in exile is also
participating in the conference. Panel discussions on militarization in
Burma, multiple discriminations and refugees from Burma are also planned
to hold during the four-day conference. More than 7000 delegates from
all over the world are participating in the conference to discuss the
issues relating to racism and other related issues including gender,
religious intolerance, ethnic cleansing, globalization, militarization,
poverty and indigenous people. Dance and music including the Zulu
Gumpoat Dance were also presented in the opening ceremony.

--------------E73A800024A1E1B6530E0B2C

over the world are gathering in Durban, a beach city of South Africa to
participate in the World Conference Against Racism (WCAR) NGO Forum which
this morning.
from all over the world was held in the security-tight Kingsmead Cricket
Stadium in the city. Citing own experiences of South Africa, <b><i>Thabo
Mbeki </i></b>highlighted that millions of peoples around the world including
in the G7 countries continue to be defined by the legacy of slavery, colonialism
and racism.
minority rule in South Africa. As we celebrated that victory, we also said
speech.
but the beginning of a long journey towards the creation of a truly non-racial
country?.
international delegates the importance of ?what is to be done? in the fight
against racism. ??(Y)ou will not only have to spell out what we fight for.
You will also have to explain who is or what are the enemy or enemies that
we fight against?.
United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, <b><i>Ms. Berhane Ras
Mercia Andrews</i></b>, president of South African National NGO Coalition