U.S. Tragedy Highlights Need for In

--=====================_2613973==_.ALT

> [...]
>for Human Rights and Development (Forum Asia)
>Bangkok, Thailand, September 12, 2001
>

>U.S. Tragedy Highlights Need for International Criminal Court
>
>On behalf of the NGO Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC)
>and the Asian Experts Meeting on the ICC in Bangkok, we wish to express
>our horror and shock over the criminal attacks against innocent people in
>the USA.
>
>We express our most sincere sympathy to the victims and families and
>people of the United States of America.
>
>As has been stated by USA authorities this catastrophe represents a
>massive failure of USA intelligence and national defense.  The failure of
>the most powerful nation with the greatest resources to prevent such a
>crime reinforces the need for massive cooperation throughout the
>international community in outlawing, investigating, prosecuting and
>bringing to justice those who commit these most serious crimes against
>humanity  which is what the International Criminal Court will do.
>
>This horrific crime is a supreme example of the need for a fundamentally
>strengthened system of international criminal justice.  The international
>Criminal Court is expected to be established in 2002-2003 after entry into
>force of the Rome Statute of the ICC.  It will be permanent, independent
>and will prosecute individuals who commit genocide, war crimes and crimes
>against humanity.
>
>Though the international community has not been able to agree on the
>definition of the crime of international terrorism, it is our unanimous
>opinion that yesterday's acts of terrorism were crimes against
>humanity  the murder of thousands of innocent civilians.
>
>We appeal to the USA to use law to bring the perpetrators to justice and
>warn against indiscriminate unilateral military retaliation  which has
>been the response to past terrorist attacks  and which could result in
>more innocent deaths and a cycle of recrimination, revenge and terrorism.
>
>The world community must join together in condemning this terrorist crime
>against humanity and join in using national and international laws in
>bringing those responsible to justice.
>

>Note:  The Rome Statute was adopted by a vote of 120-7 on July 17,
>1998.  139 nations have signed the
>
>Rome Statute and 37 nations have ratified the treaty.  The Rome Statute
>will enter into force after 60 nations have ratified the treaty.
>

>Somchai Homlaor
>Secretary-General, Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development
>109 Suthisarnwinichai Road, Samsennok, Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320, Thailand
>Tel. 662  2769846-7, Fax 662  6934831 email info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>William R. Pace
>Convenor, Coalition for the International Criminal Court
>777 UN Plaza, New York, USA 10017
>Tel +1 212 687 2176 fax 212 599 1332 email cicc@xxxxxxx

>Asian Human Rights Commission   | Tel: +(852)-2698-6339
>Unit D,7 Floor,16 Argyle Street,| Fax: +(852)-2698-6367

--=====================_2613973==_.ALT

Tragedy Highlights Need for<br>
International Criminal Court<br><br>
Dear Friends, <br><br>
For your reference, We are forwarding you the following statement issued
by Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) and the Asian
Forum for Human Rights and Development (Forum Asia)<br><br>
Thank you. <br><br>
Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)<br><br>
========================= <br><br>
MEDIA STATEMENT<br><br>
Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) and the Asian Forum
for Human Rights and Development (Forum Asia)<br>
Bangkok, Thailand, September 12, 2001<br><br>
U.S. Tragedy Highlights Need for International Criminal Court<br><br>
On behalf of the NGO Coalition for the International Criminal Court
(CICC) and the Asian Experts Meeting on the ICC in Bangkok, we wish to
express our horror and shock over the criminal attacks against innocent
people in the USA.<br><br>
We express our most sincere sympathy to the victims and families and
people of the United States of America.<br><br>
As has been stated by USA authorities this catastrophe represents a
massive failure of USA intelligence and national defense.&nbsp; The
failure of the most powerful nation with the greatest resources to
prevent such a crime reinforces the need for massive cooperation
throughout the international community in outlawing, investigating,
prosecuting and bringing to justice those who commit these most serious
crimes against humanity&nbsp; which is what the International Criminal
Court will do.<br><br>
This horrific crime is a supreme example of the need for a fundamentally
strengthened system of international criminal justice.&nbsp; The
international Criminal Court is expected to be established in 2002-2003
after entry into force of the Rome Statute of the ICC.&nbsp; It will be
permanent, independent and will prosecute individuals who commit
genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.<br><br>
Though the international community has not been able to agree on the
definition of the crime of international terrorism, it is our unanimous
opinion that yesterday?s acts of terrorism were crimes against
humanity&nbsp; the murder of thousands of innocent civilians.<br><br>
We appeal to the USA to use law to bring the perpetrators to justice and
warn against indiscriminate unilateral military retaliation&nbsp; which
has been the response to past terrorist attacks&nbsp; and which could
result in more innocent deaths and a cycle of recrimination, revenge and
terrorism.<br><br>
The world community must join together in condemning this terrorist crime
against humanity and join in using national and international laws in
bringing those responsible to justice.<br><br>
Note:&nbsp; The Rome Statute was adopted by a vote of 120-7 on July 17,
1998.&nbsp; 139 nations have signed the<br><br>
Rome Statute and 37 nations have ratified the treaty.&nbsp; The Rome
Statute will enter into force after 60 nations have ratified the
treaty.<br><br>
Somchai Homlaor<br>
Secretary-General, Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development<br>
109 Suthisarnwinichai Road, Samsennok, Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320,
Thailand<br>
Tel. 662&nbsp; 2769846-7, Fax 662&nbsp; 6934831 email
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<br><br>
William R. Pace<br>
Convenor, Coalition for the International Criminal Court<br>
777 UN Plaza, New York, USA 10017<br>
Tel +1 212 687 2176 fax 212 599 1332 email cicc@xxxxxxx<br>
Asian Human Rights Commission&nbsp;&nbsp; | Tel: +(852)-2698-6339&nbsp;
Unit D,7 Floor,16 Argyle Street,| Fax: +(852)-2698-6367 <br>
Mongkok Commercial Centre,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | E-mail:
ahrchk@xxxxxxxxxx&nbsp; <br>
Kowloon, Hong Kong
SAR&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Web: