SCMP-Renegade trio betrayed the ele (r)

Subject: Re: SCMP-Renegade trio betrayed the electorate, say democrats

Re: SCMP-Renegade trio betrayed the electorate, say democrats

>Than Tun, Kyi Win and Tin Tun Maung obtained the signatures of 24 >other
>NLD lawmakers on a letter calling for Ms Aung San Suu Kyi and >other party
>leaders to reconsider strategies they said led to >conflict with the
>junta,including the NLD's attempt to convene the >parliament last year.

>The politicians who signed the document were in military detention >at the
>time, diplomats in Rangoon have said.

Comments:
=========

Inevitabily in politics, we are bound to have some renegades from any party
especially when someone was expelled from his own party before. And it was
regrettable that the other two had to leave the party this way. I believe
that they have put in a lot of hard work for the party and for the
elections, and I still could not believe that they have to come to this.
Breaking away can be very painful but it's a shame really to be used by the
SPDC and to break away if that's what it was.

Though there is no legality of this signed document, what is most
interesting about this whole episode is that it came soon after Foreign
Minister Win Aung had reportedly told Reuters that his government would
release NLD political prisoners if the National League for Democracy
dissolved the Committee Representing Peoples' Parliament (CRPP).

Evidently, it shows that both the "Win Aung -Than Tun" episodes were
certainly linked and both of them desperately aimed to weaken the NLD
party's leadership and to push for the dissolution of the CRPP. Clearly, the
single most worry of the SPDC has been the "clear mandate" that people of
Burma have given to NLD in the elections on May 27, 1990.

Surely, with most of the elected MPs who signed the documents have expressed
being tricked into signing it and have now retracted, the NLD party will
survive yet another time. They know that CRPP has the mandate of the elected
MPs.

Predictably, as it goes, May to September will be filled with a lot of
activities in Burma. Like it or not, come May 27, SPDC will have to face
another anniversary of the overwhelming victory of the NLD party in the
general elections in the 1990. If no serious efforts for reconciliation is
being made by SPDC and the NLD, the risk of having to pay a high price for
not making it will be very high.

May we all have the hearts to reconcile?

Minn Kyaw Minn